Parking lift | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Parking lift

Discussion in '348/355' started by emac, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would bet somewhere between 11' and 12'.

2. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I looked at the single post lifts. It’s a good option. Saves a lot of space.

I have 6 lifts at my house.
    1- 2 post portable
    1 In floor scissor
    1 Ford smith low pro 30k industrial
    3 storage bendpack high lift with mini jack.

The exposed cable cheapies scare the bejesus out of me and because I had small kids who are now big kids who work on cars, I don’t compromise where lifts are concerned.

3. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Shop is a lot cleaner since this.

My bend Paks are not bolted down.

My scissor lift is removable.

My Max Jack portable I made a jig with machine thread nuts buried in the concrete so that I can bolt it in and then remove when not in use.

If I were to install a single post, I would make my own steel reinforced base that would be a 5’ cube. But over kill is underrated when it comes to lifts.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Standard width but my ceiling is super high... so it’s a little tight but sideways partly because there were previous cabinets built in on the right. The MurcieSV was also real wide.
    Another angle...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

5. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    The Bendpak rep mentioned that I could put two four post next to eachother with the posts front/back to each other instead of next to each other to save 5-6 inches of total width. The car storage side of my shop is 202" wide and each lift is 100.25" total width so every inch counts.

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I have a a HD9 and a Max jack best gifts I bought for the garage.

7. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I'm very happy with my autostacker. It definitely needed professional installation. The parts are ridiculously heavy and no joke to move around and align correctly.

8. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #35 Jon Von Bon, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    A cautionary tale. A well known (but highly incompetent) “geo smart” company in my area filled half my floor system with water. I decided to tear half the floor out, replace the tubing, concrete, and insulation to fix it right. Not an easy task.

zhani355 likes this.
  9. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    zhani355 and phrogs like this.
  10. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    You generally get into and out of the car on the lift when it's on the ground, before you lift it. ;)

My experience with installing a lift in my home, fwiw: We got a Bendpak HD9 4-post lift and purchased it from a local company that also installed it. They were confident that the construction code for my home was good enough for anchoring the lift. It was almost all the way installed when they realized there was only 3-1/2 inches of concrete in the garage floor, so we had to move the lift out of the way and have a concrete company come in and redo the floor. We had them pour a 6" floor, though 4" was the minimum spec per BendPak. This could have been avoided by them drilling a test hole before installing the lift, but I don't know if there are any nondestructive ways to find out how thick your concrete is beforehand.

zhani355 likes this.
  11. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I guess you have to think of a car already on the upper lift, and the Mac on the Floor.... then you'll understand.... 'generally' LOL!

12. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Yeah, I was envisioning the Mac on the top. Ferrari on the bottom, for easier access. :)

13. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I went with an el-cheapo Chinese made 4 post that 8 years ago cost $2K. Since I didn't own a fork lift, it was delivered to a shipping depot. I got it home in a U-Haul truck. 2 good things about the truck: it's cheap to rent...where they stick it to you is the mileage charge, but for a local trip it was nominal. The other great thing was the truck's built in ramp. Between dollies, floor jacks, a come-along and an assistant, i was able to install myself. The 110 volt does fine. My ceiling is 9' 5" so it's very tight getting a station wagon under. Remember the platform the car sits on is about 5 inches thick, so you need to account for that in your total height calculation. More complicated than the lift is re-engineering your garage door. That now needs to hug the ceiling, and the motor has to be out of the way. There are special motors that sit right beside the door that will do that, or you can do it on the cheap if it's chain drive: Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    yep, that is tight!

15. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I just installed American Custom’s single post lift. My vacation home garage is small. The thing is built like a tank. So far very impressed.

psych0hans, marknkidz and emac like this.
  16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    That's awesome. Ceiling height?

17. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Not the greatest picture but this is my lift. It's an Atlas 8000 4 post from Greg Smith Equipment. Ceiling height is 10' 1" in my garage. It's offset slightly in the center bay due to the stairs for my office above. The garage door is using a high-lift kit with a LiftMaster 8500 Wall mounted opener so the door is practically flush with the ceiling when raised. Plenty of room to park my 2001 740iL underneath and the 348 or 190sl on top. Total cost of the project was $3250, includes delivery and installation of the lift and garage door high-lift kit and opener.

BT likes this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have my own but Jerry asked and I found this
    Ross sells the same as what I have and they are awesome
    https://liftking.ca/the-goliathdbl-wide/
    The bonus is for Americans it’s in Canadian money.
    The thing I really like about them is all your posts on a double garage are on the outside so you have extra clearance to open doors without posts being there.

psych0hans, zhani355 and kenneyd like this.
  19. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    115 inches of usable space from floor to the bottom of the garage door rail.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Wow, impressive! Parking that boat on the ramps must be a bit of a challenge.

psych0hans likes this.
  21. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    10’

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app