Parking in full sun | FerrariChat

Parking in full sun

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by User156, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. User156

User156 Rookie

Feb 24, 2021
    Hello Ferrari forum,
    I'm brand spankin new and have some basic questions about "do's" and "don'ts" for new Ferrari owners. Ferrari ownership sounds like prison: lots of little rules to learn once you get there in order to survive and keep your nose clean. I'm in an urban area famous for potholes and rednecks so suspect trial by fire.

In the mean time, I'm shopping around for my first one and believe I prefer black interiors but wonder if (for spider models) I'd burn my skin sitting in it after the car sits in direct sun for an hour... I suspect this would be a mostly summer car after all, and envision parking it topless. Or do you cover your 308s and 328s every time, and use those giant expandable windshield shade thingys (preferably with big, tacky logos)? It's not a Ferrari-specific question, but one I didn't see in the forum so far, so thought I'd probe your collective experience.

(Edit: Was also thinking I could get a tan one since people tend to prefer tan interiors, then use whatever seat cover color I like)

janmante likes this.
  2. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Not sure what model you are thinking about - but the main issue with parking it in the sun is accelerated shrinking of the dashboard leather. Don't know whether it's different if you leave the spider top open (never thought about it), but probably still an issue. Lots of posts on this in various sections (e.g. the ones on 360s/430s, 550/575 Maranellos etc.). I would rather recommend closing the roof and protecting the windshield with a simple reflecting cover for a few $.

DrewH and paulchua like this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - if you're from England precautions are less necessary than in California but the earlier models (you mention 308/328) are less susceptible to shrinkage but a day in the sun can leave the metal steering wheel spokes extremely warm !

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I have a 458 spider in FL with black interior. I leave the top down when parked outside if no rain is suspected. The interior stays cooler that way. Yes, you will burn yourself on the black leather after it sits in THIS sun for a while.

5. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    In a few weeks I'm dropping off my 575 for whatever the mega-effective XPel tint is. 70% all around (windshield, side windows, rear window) so will appear imperceptible/un-tinted but it cuts heat and rays by a massive, massive margin (almost 90% I think - marginal increase in reduction with darker film, but I don't want it to look tinted, just doing it to protect the dash and carpets).

Not applicable if you're leaving the top down, but given the efficacy of this new film, I'd go with 70% and park with the top up. Will stay cool and protected without a horrible windshield shade that matches your Ferrari hat, shirt, shoes, and forehead tattoo. :)

6. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    We have a F430 spider and live in AZ desert yes TAN interior a better idea we do have the windshield screen , PLAIN NO design ! and it is a good idea If kind of uncool ! ( At least custom made for the F430 ! ) I look for shade to park in @ car shows ! ( hard to find sometimes ! )

7. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I live in south Florida and use 3M Crystalline works great ..

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    There are a bunch of tonneau covers for both heat and leather preservation. I personally don't use it, but I'm much more carefree. Nothing wrong with those that do!

Cheers

9. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Following up on the original OP question. Thinking about the summer and an interior windshield sun shade. I can't seem to find one on the Ferrari accessory site - might be looking in the wrong place. Where to folks get these? WeatherTech, Amazon or somewhere else? I have an FF so was hoping to get some type of custom fit version to stop the inside baking. I don't want a tonneau cover as that seems a bit extreme when popping down to the supermarket.

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  11. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
  12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Save the money on any sun-blocking items and simply adhere to Rule #1 of Ferrari ownership:

Never take your Ferrari out in the rain...or the sun...or anytime.

(that strategy seems to work for the majority of Ferrari owners)

430tdf, kes7u and Bullfighter like this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :D

430tdf likes this.