Paris restaurants | FerrariChat

Paris restaurants

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by birdness, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. birdness

birdness Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    Toronto
    Greetings
    Any suggestions for hip Paris restaurants with excellent food? Michelin starred or not. Will be there in September
    Thanks

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The "Pur'", restaurant of the Hyatt hotel rue de la Paix, is a nice one - not cheap and "only" one star Michelin, but pretty good IMHO.

3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Here is my list of favorite Parisian joints that I’ve honed over many years of visiting Paris on a regular basis:

1) TRADITIONAL BISTROS (in no particular order)
    Chez Josephine Dumonnet
    L’Ami Jean
    Moulin au Vent
    Le Petit Pontoise
    Chez Denise -La Tour de Montlhery
    Chez Eux
    Bistro Paul Bert
    Auberge Bressan
    Fontaine du Mar
    Brasserie Lipp
    Square Trouseau
    Le Bistrot d’Andre’
    Le Quincy (cash only)

2) HIGH-END DINING
    Guy Savoy
    Le Grand Vefour
    Tallivent
    La Tour d’Argent

3) SEAFOOD
    Prunier
    Le Dome
    Le Duc
    Goumard
    Regis Oyster Bar
    Le Bar ‘a Huitres

4) QUICK BITES / CHEAP LUNCH
    Le Petit Cler
    Suffern
    L’ Bretzel
    Le Select
    Le Rotonde
    Le Coupole
    Firmine

5) COCKTAILS
    Hemingway Bar-Ritz Hotel
    Rosebud
    Closerie des Lilas
    L’ Esplanade
    Prescription

6) MARKET STREETS (permanent)
    Rue Cler
    Rue Mouffetard
    Rue Montorgueil

7) FOOD HALLS
    Le Bon Marche’ department store
    Galeries Lafayette Gourmet

There is also a series of moving street markets that you should visit...check the internet for street markets near you.

You should google any of the above restaurants above to see their menu, location, hours of operation, reviews, etc.

Reservations are always a good idea for dinner (which usually starts at 7:00 or 7:30 pm). Tables are easier to get on a walk-in basis at lunch time. Perfect English is widely spoken in Parisian restaurants.

Service (tipping) is almost always included in the restaurant prices (“sevice compris”), but, being the son of a waiter, I always leave another 5, 10 or 15%, depending on how much wine I had.

Additional questions invited.

Good luck and enjoy!

Alan
    N.J.

4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is from almost 20 years ago and our first trip to Paris. We really enjoyed this restaurant - La Petit Machon. This was before the internet so we must have just stumbled on it and gave it a try. Our hotel was just east of the Louvre so it was a few blocks away. I still think about the escargot.

https://goo.gl/maps/NgTWbftozWVL3LEf8

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Another trip to Paris we rented a car and drove to Giverny. Decided to go cross country back to Paris and stumbled on this restaurant in Fourges. Le Moulin de Fourges. Tables were set up outside and it was a really nice setting on the banks of the river. This was also before the internet and iPhones so just followed my nose back to Paris. We didn't even have a map. Fun drive.

https://goo.gl/maps/4Ptt8GBq38TD71Sx9

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #6 spirot, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Great list of restaurants for Paris. Highly recommend Le Grand Vefour also Arpege ... La Tour D'Argent is very good as well - extremely traditional almost only one left like that..... One of the only places that you can eat that has served the Emperor of Japan, Ethiopia and Queen Elizabeth along with tons of US presidents...

I'd add a couple of my local faves in very touristy areas:

1. Café Marly at the Louvre - in the Richelieu wing... great people watching - very good food and not too bad price wise. usually full of French.
    2. Lilot Vache on ile st. louis - can be touristy... but usually good food.
    3. Café Vauban - sits across from Les Invalides - good basic Paris café/ Bistro.
    4. Le Polidor - over by Luxemburg gardens - very old - basic working mans café - cool place
    5. Harry's Bar - rue Danu - bring a mini baguette, bloody mary and two hard cooked eggs ... perfect rainy day Paris hangout.

7. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph