Painting Calipers | FerrariChat

Painting Calipers

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ag512bbi, Jan 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Has anyone had their calipers repainted a different color? Where would you recommend taking them?
    Brother in Law has a 550 with Black, wants them Yellow.

2. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I had Dave at Premier paint my 550 calipers .

XLNLIFE likes this.
  3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Nice to know.
    Thank you

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    powder coat?

5. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Epoxy(Superdurable) powder coat. Available in yellow.

6. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    My calipers were black and I wanted them yellow to add contrast to a black 348 with black wheels. I simply cleaned my calipers up with four cans of brake cleaner and a small wire brush. Then taped everything off and spray them with two cans of yellow "Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic". I didn't even have to remove the calipers, I painted them right on the car. Yes, it took a long time to tape everything off, and I mean everything, exposing only the caliper! Then after the calipers dryed, I sprayed black engine ceramic paint on a clean rag wrapped around a wood block and tapped the Ferrari logo on the caliper with it. They turned out great!! Better then I expected. After a year, and several washes, they still look great!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    #7 RandyT, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    albert328gts likes this.
  8. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Dave at Premier painted my friends 16M. Did a great job as always!

XLNLIFE likes this.
  9. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    D'elegance Detailing has done several of mine over the years. He uses an airbrush setup which seems to work really well for this stuff. He then follows up after the paint cures with a ceramic coating to help preserve and protect the calipers.

And it is true the majority of the work is the prep work and just masking everything off. He actually covers the entire car to ensure no over spray lays on the car. Most people only mask off the wheel well area which could be a mistake.

10. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    Yes, masking off everything takes several hours. When I sprayed mine, I covered the entire car... top, bottom, engine, shocks, rotors... everything! The only thing left exposed was the calipers. Thoroughly cleaning every millimeter of the caliper with an old tooth brush along with lots of brake cleaner and using quality ceramic paint is key.

It's a lot of work for a DIY-er. But, if you take your time and do it right, it's very rewarding. Or... you can simply hire someone to do it for you ;-)

11. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    Powdercoat, only way to go.paint just isn't as durable. Shocked people recommend spray can:/

Topace likes this.
  12. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    Bullsh*t. My calipers look perfect from a spray can! Even after a year of hard use. No chips, scratches or fading.

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Interesting. I will forward him this info.
    Thank you

14. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    we all have different standards, if that works for you great.Powdercoat is the Best option.

15. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Powder coating is nice. Unfortunately to do PC you have to completely remove the calipers which also means you will need to do your brake fluids. I would only do this if my brake fluid needs replacing or my calipers need to be rebuilt. Otherwise just for a color change that is a bit overkill imho. But to each their own. Just curious who did your PC?

16. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    I use a guy in Moreno Valley for the PC. I bought new seals from RacingBrake in fullerton. We layed a sticker over the first coat of powder and then a clear powder over to lock in the logos on my 458 calipers.

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, that looks great.

18. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My friend had a guy tape the entire car. He ended up getting overspray all over the car as it got through the cracks and vents in the fenders then just fumigated inside the plastic wrap on the car :/

19. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    OC Wheel Recon is the go to guy. All the reputable shops actually outsource to him (Boden Autohaus, Protective Film Solutions, GMG Racing).

He's inexpensive and excellent with his finish. Painted calipers is actually alot more intricate than most people realize. Many unskilled painters will paint bolts, screws, pins, etc. that should not be painted. OC Wheel Recon will make sure to only paint what needs to be painted. He just painted the calipers of an F12 TDF in Azzuro Dino and it literally looks like it came from factory.

Also, do not powder coat your calipers. Powder coat is a lot thicker than paint. Brembo does not powder coat any of their brakes from factory, and strongly advises against it.

Below I've attached a Speciale that has a careless caliper job with very common mistakes. Notice how a significant portion of the caliper is painted yellow that should not be, such as the upper parking caliper and some rubber plugs. I see this way too often and it really bugs me!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ag512bbi likes this.
  20. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017

Wow sorry to hear that. I never had any issues with overspray. And if I do I am not worried at all since my cars are ceramic coated. My guy makes sure everything is masked including any vents or louvers. Also he makes sure whatever needs to be painted is painted and what should not be painted isn't.

21. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I have had calipers both painted and PC in the past and haven't had any issues with either even under spirited driving. I know the whole worry is trapped heat due to PC, but that is a myth and I do not think that is the reason Brembo advises to stay away from PC. I believe their reasoning is it won't be the exact finish Brembo provides. But Brembo doesn't even recommend painting their calipers either. As you can see here https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/5-reasons-not-to-use-repainted-brake-calipers-brembo . At the end of the day, paint or PC is fine as long as the necessary prep work is done properly and the painter knows what to paint and what not too.

Also for the people who believe calipers shouldn't be PC, Wilwood and other manufacturers powder coat their calipers. In the end if you are happy with your purchase then that is all that matters.

FerrariFab likes this.
  22. Sean@TAG

Sean@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 25, 2015
    RWP137 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  23. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

whats the average cost to get calipers reprayed?

24. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    Very nice...same way I restored my calofornia black plate license plates ....