Paint correction | FerrariChat

Paint correction

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Themaven, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Parking my F430 Spider today I backed at very slow speed against a metal post which had a padlock sticking out of it. I am no expert at paint. There are 3 small marks in the paint of the bumper, not down to the metal/bumper base, it's still the same colour as the car (Silverstone grey) inside the marks, but definitely chipped into the layers of paint. My question: is this something that can be fixed with paint correction/detailing, or am I going to have to brace for a respray?

Any insights much appreciated. The car is on original paint, in very good condition and ceramic coated.

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Should send a pic... but if the paint layer is cracked, it will require a respray.

If it is under a ppf then it likely won’t move until the ppf is replaced.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    It depends on how deep it is. Total correction is a gamble. When you can feel the scratch with your fingernail is generally considered best practice to get it touched up. The clear is so thin that if you attempt to compound until complete removal that you could fail the clear. Without knowing how thick the paint and scratch is, or if it’s completely through the clear coat it’s impossible to say if it could be removed.
    Also, if you’re not the first owner there’s no saying if the area hasn’t been compounded before. A paint thickness gauge could help you if you’re interested in having a go at it yourself. They can be had on Amazon for around $100.00 for an ok hobby unit.

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you both. I will take some pix when I am back tomorrow. Fingernail does sink into the holes (which are very small, the size of small stone chips) , but no bare material (whatever the bumper is made of) showing.

Is touching up an alternative that a respray? Does it leave a visible mark?

The Ferrari dealer I bought the car off did a paint test during the PPI and said it had not been painted anywhere.

5. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    A small touch up can be almost imperceptible if done by an expert. I had a number of tiny chips touched up on the front end of my Mondial, and you really have to study the area up close to notice. They were from a TX to PA road trip.

Husker likes this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So the Ferrari dealer that sold you the car did the paint test? Post some pics of the chips but you should get it looked at by a Ferrari-approved shop to calm any fears.

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I haven't mastered paint touch up but I'm getting there. You can successfully fill, clear, and wet sand small chips and scratches so that they are almost undetectable. As undetectable as a respray.

donkost likes this.
  8. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Just respray the bumper. It's not a big issue to have a bumper resprayed. ...minimally affects value of car since a bumper is almost a "wear" part under most circumstances.

If your car has over a few thousand kilometers, no question that it will Not affect the value so long as you keep records and clearly can show that the paint work was just for cosmetic reasons.