P90X | FerrariChat

P90X

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SefacHotRodder, Apr 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone do it?

Me and my buddy are starting it and did the stretching exercise today. Its pretty nuts but the results at the end seem to be well worth it. If i decide to continue to do it i might post up my daily results/opinions

My friend is a member here too and might chime in

2. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I just finished it. I will admit it, I didn't stick to it 100% just because of having to be gone one weekend a month. I definitely got stronger. However, I did not see the "amazing" results that everyone gets on tv. I won't knock it at all because it is a very good program, especially for those who don't have time for the gym or want something different. I admit, I got bored after 6 wks, but that's just my personality. I like to mix things up a lot. It was the cardio that I got bored with, the muscle building was all good.

3. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    I have a group of 10 of us doing P90X on our lunch hour in our office fitness room.
    We started about 6 weeks ago and so far so good - great workouts and high intensity..If you combine these workouts with a lean diet - you'll definately see some positive results.
    The plyometrics dvd is a killer so is the Ab Ripper X that is only 16 mins. in length but you come out with a wicked ab workout...

4. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    I think P90X is retarded to be honest. I'm not sure why people need to watch a workout DVD to get into shape.

BUT

I will concede that the ab ripper program is intense. I don't think I've been able to finish it once. But on that note, 15 minutes of strictly core work is overkill so...

5. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    What's retarded about it ?

Sure anyone can also go about and use a personal trainer or a program catered to their own fitness /weight loss objectives, but this program when followed properly
    will also deliver the same results. Granted what you see in the TV promo ads are fitness models who have been fit way before they started P90X, but otherwise you got nothing to lose
    by trying the program for 90 days...the other half of the equation is eating properly & getting lots of sleep....

We are approaching this program as a group and watching the DVD keeps everybody on the same page & keeps them motivated to attend...

6. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lol. We were planning on doing that tomorrow

7. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    Let me us know how it goes Chris ? It's 16 minutes of pure ab work non-stop ( 349 different style of crunches ) ...

Cheers, Nick

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yea... I'm not looking forward to it. I need to get rid of this beer gut though :D

9. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Yeah well too bad working on your abs when you're not losing fat just makes your gut stick out that much further. But if you're doing the full program, I'm assuming you're doing cardio as well.

10. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Something tells me the results that P90X gives you are a little different than the results that bodybuilders are looking for. If you're just looking to get in shape, then sure, it's a perfectly fine program but I don't think you're going to build much muscle on this program.

Again, I think it's dumb that people have gotten so lazy to the point that I need a guy on a DVD guiding them through their workout, when all they need to do is go on the internet, do a couple of hours of research, and have a program tailored to their own needs. How hard is it to weigh-train for 45 minutes, and then hit the bike or treadmill for 15 minutes of HIIT? Do you REALLY need to pay however many dollars for a DVD with a nutritional guide, fitness guide, etc?

Either way, as long as you care about your health and being a healthier person overall, who am I to comment...

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Quit buying so much beer!

12. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I used to finish it all the time. Took about 3 wks into the program, and it was never easy but it is doable. And yes, it hurts.

13. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    Hi Cameron,

I can't comment for others - but yes i would agree with you that P90X is not a program that bodybuilders would consider using, but then again any serious bodybuilder knows that already. Have people gotten lazy as you say that they need a DVD to get them to workout - the simple answer is yes - take a look at how many people around you are carrying an extra 25 - 50 pds on their bodies - all due to the obvious - poor eating habits and spending very little if any time doing anything exercise related.

The fitness industry $$ thrives $$ on the fact that people are overweight and unmotivated to get into shape - folks will join a gym or program, Tae Bo , P90x etc....and expect unrealistic results in no time. When they see that there are not looking like Arnold, they give up and return to eating crap and watching TV after work... you can't really place blame on the program if people quit after 3 weeks cause they got bored of it or didnt see the results that the guys on TV infomericial have.

I have some good friends that are fitness trainers and bodybuilders that i have known for the last 20 years...The dedication & discipline that they put into working out is not going to be practical for the average Joe that has family, kids, job, etc to dedicate 2 to 4 hrs a day in the gym and calculate every ounce of food and eat several times a day...so this is where a program like P90X comes in
    and at the very least can get you into decent shape in 3 months or so without drastically changing your lifestyle.

Just my 2 cents....

Cheers, Nick

14. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008

To which I reply: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/guest_atomic_dog

15. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    Read the link & got a good laugh out of it... :)

At the end of the day- we are all going to have different opinions on how to stay fit, so i'm not going to take a position that one fitness program is better over the other.. The original poster wanted some feedback on P90X and it's effectiveness, so let's base this thread on that premise.

Cheers, Nick

16. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I started the P90x program 8 days ago and so far I'm seeing great results in my overall fitness level, fitness endurance, and overall daily energy. I'm also noticing some nice toning in my muscles. I've decided to do the 'Doubles' program which intensifies the use of cardio in the second month. I'm also doing the strict diet plan by following their recipes. The food is excellent so far!

P90x is definitely not for anyone who has never worked out before... it is an exceptionally difficult workout regime/eating program to adhere to if you are not used to it. Would a professional bodybuilder do it? Realistically no, because they are a 'pro', but why not! You can always learn a new trick or two. I think it's very narrow minded to call the program any bad names. Why? Because no matter what price the program costs, you can't put a price on overall health and the little bit of motivation some people need to get healthy.

I'm very excited to be doing this program and will definitely share my success at the end of the 90 days on the forum. For anyone who is considering trying it, I say do it! But please complete the fitness test they supply to be sure it is for you at the time. If not, start with another lower intensity program and work your way into P90x.

Best of luck to all of you who are taking that step to getting into the best shape of your life... and congrats on making that life decision :)

17. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    Hi Annetta,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the P90X program - you really hit all the major benefits of the program and hopefully some other forum members here can also try it out and see if it's something they can also use to improve their overall fitness level.

Keep us posted on your progress over the 90 days.....

Nick

18. Frips_Girl

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    Hey guys,

I'm on my second recovery week right now and about start 'Phase 3' of my P90x doubles program. Doubles simply means I double my workouts to include additional cardio 3-4 times a week on top of my DVD's.

I'm thrilled to say that the pounds have decreased, the inches are falling off, my cardio endurance is insane and my strength is through the roof. I'm now doing unassisted pull ups on the bar, and can do 2 or so. I wasn't able to really hold myself up 6 weeks ago. My goal is to be able to do 10-15 by the time I'm finished this program, which is another 6 weeks.

So, for all of you that are thinking of trying it and don't know how far you can get with your fitness level, I say give it a shot. I never thought I'd be as strong as I am right now, and I'm only getting leaner and stronger. I'll send my update when I'm finished completely.

Annetta :)

PS. I do not work for P90x. I'm just now a believer :)

19. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    I completed the program two weeks ago, I went in very skeptical since I used to be hardcore on weights and regular cardio (running, elliptical, etc). But I must say that I'm satisfied with the results. Lost 10 pounds by the 6th week and regained the energy and will to work out which I had lost after graduating from college. Now I'm back in the gym with part of my old strength back.

My plan now is to do just the 'cardio' dvds (plyo, cardio, yoga, kempo and ab-ripper) and instead of the strength dvds I'll go do some real weight lifting.

20. Frips_Girl

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I am thrilled to report that I finished my first round of P90x earlier this week with infomercial like results. I lost a total of 13lbs, and tons of inches. I also lowered my body fat %, and I wasn't completely out of shape to begin with!

Prior to day 1, I completed my fitness test and failed miserably at it. I couldn't even do a single chin up. Well, that's changed as I can now do 10 chin ups completely unassisted! Besides the main measurement numbers all decreasing, the amount of energy I have is through the roof! I feel great, my body has leaned out, I'm stronger than I've ever been, and I actually look forward to working out!

What's next? Well, I purchased the next set of DVD's, "P90x Plus" and am incorporating them into my P90x program on Tuesday. Yes, I am doing it all over again... that's how much I've enjoyed my P90x journey! These new DVD's are supposed to help take you to that next level with even more intensified workouts. I'm really looking forward to it. I will report back in a few weeks once I complete my first set of P90x Plus DVD's.

For all of those non-believers or P90x scoffers, I recommend not to knock it until you've tried it. It is a real workout. The weight-lifting is real. The strength you build from it is real. The cardio workouts are real. The sweat is real. I can vouch for it, as the numbers I've (personally) seen decrease, don't lie.

For all of those people who have been contemplating purchasing the system and trying it out... I say do it! What do you have to lose? :)

21. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    My 16 year old son is thinking about doing the program. He is very thin and athletic and doesn't have an ounce of weight to lose. His goal is to gain strength and muscle. He plays high school baseball, so he's not interested in building a lot of muscle mass, but it won't hurt if he sculpts his body.

Is this the correct program for him? The emphasis seems to be on weight loss, but aerobic conditioning is good for baseball and they claim strength gains too.

Comments?

22. Frips_Girl

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    P90x isn't just for weight loss, but is for building lean muscle and overall strength. For me, I used it for both weight loss and strength building. It's also for athletic endurance and overall core stability. Rather than using the very heavy weights and failing at 8-10 reps, tell him to use a lower weight and fail at 12-15 reps. That way he's increasing strength but won't have to worry about building bulky muscles.

23. AbsolutFerrari

AbsolutFerrari Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    Rocky Hill
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    I have to say that I worked at a gym for years and have seen many different workouts. I purchased this program about a year ago and have been very impressed. This is a workout routine that if you stick to, you will see results. Very good in my opinion. I have recommended this to fellow Loctite employees and they have had Insane results.

24. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Sefac Hotrodder,
    were you able to stick to it? How did it go?

25. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Wrong. Weight loss and building muscle are mutually exclusive. Perhaps on a carb cycle you would be able to maintain your muscle mass while losing weight, but you can't do both concurrently. I've never heard anyone say that P90x is a strength/muscle building regiment.

Wrong again. Strength is built in the 3-5 rep range whereas hypertrophy is 10-12 reps. 15 reps is completely overkill.