P90X & Insanity which is better ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

P90X & Insanity which is better ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DonJuan348, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I did the chest and back DVD this Monday since the gym wasn't open. Kicked my ass.

The Plyometrics I thought I would try on my off day (today). I got about 30 min through before I quit. Ouch! Keep in mind I have a pretty intense gym workout.

Crazy workout methodology!

RMX

2. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    It's pretty non-stop. It's taken me all summer to get plyo back on "non stop" since I restarted. It's definitely improved my running... combined with legs + back, I have much more endurance at higher speeds :)

I can embarrass many gym goers and, and people who think they are fit now. Not that it is why I do it. 8 pull ups is killer for me :)

I did hurt my right wrist and left calf this past weekend. I'm going to try to run tonight, but lifting is out of the question until the wrist is better. Yes, both injuries are a direct result of being stupid. Doing a backflip from 4 ft up ( i did land it), and holding a can of lemonade while starting up skiing and the rope at the same time. I could barely turn a door handle yesterday.

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Well I didn't think there was much that could knock me out...I've been schooled!

Anyway, I have limited range in my back, so doing the ab ripper hurts the hell out of my hips and lower back, rather than my abs. I cannot straighten my legs in the air like that.

I suppose I'll stretch out enough sooner or later that the pain will subside and I can do them properly. For now I'm going to mix these in here and there along with my daily gym routine.

RMX

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I thought P90X was tough until I started Insanity!!!
    Almost a month in and it still is torture.

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Insanity is kickin' my butt more than i want to admit.

Just doing the fitness test took me two days. I did half of the first workout and let that be another day. Right now i'm sore as hell and am gonna wait 'till monday to recover from the fit test and first video.

Seems doing jacks and ski jumps can wear you out when done non-stop as fast as possible.

Good stuff.

6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Make sure to get plenty of protein. I'm finding out that if I don't get enough daily protein my recovery and soreness are worst. I throw in a little glutomine to help also. Before you know it you'l be doing the fit test far, far better.

I can finally keep up with the warm up routine without resting and can keep pace during the 90% of the workouts. You would think it would get easy but month 2 gets harder and longer.

7. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Didn't read the whole thread but have done both. Do P90X before you do Insanity. The cardio of P90X is easy compared to Insanity. You will also need to strenghten your upper body with P90X to be able to tolerate all the ground work of Insanity. Thus the progression.

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I just started the second half of Insanity Monday with the "Max" discs and it is brutal. 60 minutes of non stop movement and I'm ready to die by the end. I can barely walk today and I have Max Cardio to do.

9. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Hey you guys. Just wanted to thank you all for the thread. Hey Newman! Just into the second week of insanity and it's going really well. Haven't sweated like this in a while, if ever. Without the thread, I never would have trusted the infomercial, or found the program. The fact that it is a 60 day program, that can be done pretty much anywhere you can run a DVD, without any equipment, is great.

One question. I got into the program right away and without watching the infomercial first, although have checked it out recently. Ordered it from Amazon. In the literature with the DVDs they reference a recovery drink. But the amazon reviews of the recovery drink are very mixed. So not sure I can be bothered to order it.

Do you people have any alternatives to the recovery drink that are not a powder?

10. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    If you want to push yourself even more, find a local gym that has Crossfit training. It will kick your butt!

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    You can buy any RTD off the shelf from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. I prefer the Syntax 6 RTD because it has 40 grams of protein and very little sugar. The Syntax 6 powder is good mixed with cold water also. You'll have to try a bunch to see what suits your taste.

I've tried the Insanity/P90X results and recovery drink and it's ok. It tastes like an orange creamsicle but it has over 30 grams of sugar in it. Kind of defeats the purpose of working out to take in that sugar.

12. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Chocolate Milk

13. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Indeed. 16 oz. of chocolate milk is just as good, if not better, than any powdered (and expensive) recovery drink you can buy at the local vitamin shop. Some of those drinks (the Gatorade shakes come to mind) are frighteningly bad for you.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If I'm on the go I like the Syntha6 RTD's. Otherwise it's chocolate milk mixed with whey protein and a little glutomine.

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Let's give this a bump...

who's doing which , for how long and what results thus far.

16. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    Day 20 of p-90x today and results are here already. :)

I don't know anything about insanity but p-90 seems pretty bulletproof as program.
    Great sensible diet, well rounded workouts that are easily modified depending on where you are physically.

Time commitment is a problem depending on your life situation. It takes at least two hours out of my day 6 days a week. Workouts 1 to 1-1/2 hours plus recovery, diet planning etc!

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #92 DonJuan348, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011