OutRun 2 & OutRun 2 SP (ST) Arcade Game (Sit-Down) | FerrariChat

OutRun 2 & OutRun 2 SP (ST) Arcade Game (Sit-Down)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dailyferraridriver, Feb 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #1 dailyferraridriver, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OutRun has been one of my favorite games since I was a kid. I never got to purchase the arcade game for my house but recently I was able to pickup the sequel, OutRun 2 for my son's 4th birthday.

Since this is a Ferrari forum and the game centers around Ferrari's, I figured this post would be a good match.

Buying

I purchased the game off of ebay - craigslist is also a great place to find used arcade games. The going rate for a twin is about $1200 - $1500 for a decent set. I had originally purchased a twin, but the seller sold one by mistake and offered me a discount to keep the single unit, which was fine by me.

I looked for a few basic things:

1. The condition of the unit itself. Seat, wheel, shifter, screen.
    2. Make sure all functions work - Wheel should have feedback and shake - shifter should return to center, monitor should be clear.

Shipping

Prepare to spend money on shipping. I did not pay a pallet fee to the seller (usually $50-$200) but shipping was pretty expensive. $850 from Kansas to NJ and an additional $125 to bring it to my basement. The cabinet did get damaged during shipping, but it wasn't bad enough to complain or file an insurance claim. The unit weighs about 400 lbs.

System Features & Setup

The system is a GD-ROM based unit. The games run from a combination of a DVD type of media and a security key on the computer. My system wouldn't read the disc during bootup, I had to unplug & replug the cables connecting the GD-ROM drive to the system. Must have loosened during shipping.

The system gives you advanced options (number of coins per credit, number of credit per coins) as well game difficulty, books & records, etc. My system is currently set for free play and normal difficulty.

OutRun 2 Gameplay

The standard OutRun 2 comes with 8 Cars:

1. F50
    2. Dino 246 GTS
    3. Testarossa (Spider)
    4. Enzo
    5. 360 Spider
    6. 365 GTS 4 (Daytona)
    7. 288 GTO
    8. F40

The cars are split into types - Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert. The first two have better grip, Expert (F40 & Enzo) have a higher top speed (186 MPH).

The game is an arcade style racer that includes basic racing with some basic drifting. The game is not very forgiving, hitting the rails or other cars will easily make you 'flip' and have to start from 0 MPH. More than a single crash will pretty much keep you from making the next checkpoint. If you pass 5 checkpoints, you 'win' the game.

OutRun 2 SP (ST) Gameplay

After the original OutRun 2 was released, Sega pushed a new version, OutRun 2 SP (or ST in Europe). Apparently all you need to do to upgrade a standard OutRun 2 to an SP is swap the disc and the security key. I was able to pickup a disc and key in Europe for around $250.

The SP version has some great additions, but it also has some drawbacks (in my opinion).

Changes:

1. Additional cars; 512 BB & 250 GTO
    2. Ability to change colors of the cars - black/red/yellow/blue/green/etc -
    3. Ability to run '15 track' race where you run every level back to back.

Cool features:

1. You can run the original OutRun 2 tracks in addition to the new SP ones. Basically two games in one!
    2. You can select the original 1986 versions of the songs as well as the new versions.
    3. Drafting is now a feature - you must ride close to increase your cars speed.

Drawbacks:

1. The quality of the video graphics have come down slightly.
    2. It is almost impossible to crash - you can run into vehicles and rails and essentially bounce off with little consequence. This makes the game easier for my son, but less interesting for me.
    3. Drifting is much easier as they recover the slide for you.
    4. All the cars are the same - for example, the F40 isn't faster than the 360.

Using the same car on the same track (Outrun 2 tracks in Outrun 2 SP) I was able to complete the level 5 seconds quicker. For an average level of 1 minute, 5 seconds is quite a lot. The lack of real crashes and drafting helped improve the time even though the top speed for the vehicle is less than it was in the original Outrun 2.

That's about it for now. I'll post some better pictures in the future. If someone is looking to buy one, feel free to ask questions, I may be able to help.

Thanks,
    Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    that's AWESOME :D

3. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is how the collecting habit starts, with the first game.

4. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have a few other games currently -

Megatouch 6
    6 in 1 classic games (Tapper, Rampage, etc)
    Slot Machine

This is really the first big one that was bought planned and not on a whim.

Erik

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    One of my favorites but a hard game to find. I have the PS2 version of the game as fun as it is it will give you vertigo.