OT: getting from denver to vail | FerrariChat

OT: getting from denver to vail

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by ty (360mode), Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    how is the drive from denver to vail during the summer? mapquest says 100 miles, sound about right? traffic? how long during rush hour? is flying "easier" on a puddle jumper (seems like eagle [can't remember name] is still not that close)? shuttle?? cab?? i just don't want to sit in traffic for 4 hours so if need be, i'll plan my flight to arrive mid day instead of evening.

TIA!

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Ty, your real question is how long is Vail from the Denver airport. By the time you get from the airport to Denver, you're damn near half way there.

A couple of summers ago, I drove from Aspen to the airport on a Sunday, and I think it took about 3 hours. Aspen, of course, is a lot further away. Back when Denver used Stapleton (man, I miss that airport. Thought I'd never say that.), there were shuttles that ran from the airport to all the resorts. Now that the airport is in Kansas, I don't know if this is still the case. You might check with the property where you'll be staying.

If it were me, I'd rent an SUV or try to find someone who will rent a Boxster. I like Colorado in the Summer even more than the Winter.

Good Luck, Dale

3. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    thanks doc, good point. denver airport to vail!

i have not been to colorado during the summer since i was a kid at estes park! looking forward to it...

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Well, it dpends on when you come. Don't make the trip on a Friday after 2 pm. It'll take 4 hours. It's normally 2 hours from DIA to Vail and it's a straight shot - VERY easy. Resort Mountain Express offers shuttles. I don't know the prices but I would guess $40 per person. Don't take a cab. I don't know where you're staying but they might have the name of the shuttle that they use and some kind of discount. Too bad you won't have your F-car. It's a great drive.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I'll second both of those... I70 from Denver to Vail is one of the few truly fun interstate drives. And then with a few detours off I70, the trip can be an event!

DIA to Vail can be done in 2 hours if you drive the curvy roads pretty fast. I'd plan on 2.5 hours. Or 3 if using a shuttle or cab. Or 4 or more if you hit the mass Friday exodus from Denver to the mountains. BTW, a cab can be cheaper than a shuttle if you have a whole family to bring. But if just you, the shuttle will be way cheaper. But car rental might be the best deal.

For me, the funnest thing to do in Colorado is just get out and drive... drive the curvy roads... drive the dirt roads... drive the "you call that a road"s. So, having a rental car is like having skis during the winter... gotta have it.

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Rent the car! I can still remember every curve and turn of the first time I made that drive. I was 17 and drove a very ratty TR-3 Triumph from Minneapolis to Vegas. So beautiful, I got a room for the night in Vail, drove back to Denver the next morning and did it again. Brakes and sincro's would have made the drive more relaxing, but the lack of both in that old car surely made it a memorable drive.
    Enjoy,
    Dave

7. oldfart3

oldfart3 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Depends on the day of the week and the season. During the ski area rush hours, it can be a linear parking lot, especially if the weather is bad. Otherwise, it has the same characteristics as any other freeway, with the traffic travelling in pulses - clots of congestion interspersed with relatively open highway. The only time I've driven it in my Lusso during the RMR caravan to Beaver Creek a few years, I swore I'll NEVER subject my F car to it again. It involved either trying to thread through the moving roadblocks of semis, motorhomes, and SUV's attempting to pass each other on the upgrades, or trying to stay between the travelling clots and being periodically engulfed with the amebic chaos of another swirling mass of idiots trying to shave 30 seconds from a 2-3 hour trip............rent a disposable car.

8. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    thanks for the info all... i'll be there in july (have to plan wayyy ahead b/c my girlfriend's job at the hospital). i was planning to arrive wed eve but from what everyone's said, i think i'm going to change that to wed mid-day. i was hoping to get there wed, take care of some business thursday and go back to the airport and pick her up thursday night (hard for her to take 3 days off) but that sounds like it could be a LOT of wasted time. hopefully we can fly in together wed.

rent-a-car it will be! maybe i can find something fun to drive...

ps - staying at the vail marriott? any good??

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's not too bad. I am not really a hotel aficionado (blame it on years of being a penny pinching bicycle racer) but I think that it's okay.

Summer is the best time to be here. If you're going to be in Denver for a day or two on business, let us know. I am sure that there would be a few of us at least willing to get together for lunch. I work downtown so it would be easy for me to get together for sure.

10. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    sounds good, thanks for the offer. hopefully we can meet up... i'll be in touch closer to travel time.

ps - i've always been a long-distance runner but as i've gotten older, the shins just can't take it as much so i started spinning classes at the gym - absolutely love it! talking about a burn, when the teach makes you get out of the seat in position 2 and slowly spin w/o bouncing or swaying... ouch!!!!

11. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    Another fun beautiful drive is silverthorn/dillion to Steamboat Springs.