OT: First Ever: Bugatti Veyron races Mcalren F1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

OT: First Ever: Bugatti Veyron races Mcalren F1

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by csport, Jul 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    #26 vipermann123, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    For entertainment's sake, the race needed to be close. So, they made it close by not using the launch control on the Veyron.

However, to claim that it makes it fair is faulty logic. It's one product, with its inherent features (which the buyer pays for and expects to take advantage of) pitted against another product, with its inherent features and unique characteristics. To run the race without using each to the fullest is a bit of a sham. If you used the Bug's first two gears only, that would even things up more, heck, the McLaren would smoke it by miles. Should that have been done? What else would you like to do to make the race "fair" for your beloved McLaren?

The F1 is a wonderful achievement, a great car, a testament to dedicated pursuit of an ideal (true driver's car utilizing the best materials and philosophies of the time). So is the Bugatti, albeit in a different way (augmenting the driver's skill with the best of technology, compensating for weight with power and advanced suspension design, tire technology, topped off with the world's most incredible transmission).

Why deny each of them their greatness in any way? It demeans the McLaren to handicap the challenger. Nobody would have thought any less of either car if the Bug's launch control had been put to use, as intended by its creators.

For the record, my favorite car is the F1. Always has been, always will be. I don't care for nanny driving aids or self-driving cars.

2. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Well, perhaps they could have invited Susan Boyle from Britain's Got Talent to ride along in the Veyron and add a little ballast? :eek: :D

Look - I get your argument too. I just think what Top Gear presented was a true heads up race. Leave the gizmo's and gadgetry out of it as much as possible and just line them up and say go and see what happens. If you're upset they didn't allow the Veyron to achieve it's full potential, then you'll have to organize and film your own version of the race to show just how badly the F1 gets trounced. I'll watch that too, for the entertainment factor.

>8^)
    ER

3. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    No I am not upset, but I also don't think it was a true comparison.

Yeah, I will have to organize my own race. The cars will need to be driven by supermodels, and I will have my own, very strict, qualifying sessions.

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I don't think it's fair that The Stig is 10x the driver Hammond is, now that we know who The Stig is....

;)

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Same here. I think the race was more about racing "stock for stock". Run what ya brung, no special advantages. You race however the car is set up when you press the start button.

6. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Comical! You're doing a race to see which is faster. The entire point is to demonstrate the capabilities of both cars! Why inhibit the Veyron in order to give the McLaren a fighting chance? It makes no logical sense but, as you say, good television, and that's the point.

7. seanpburke

seanpburke Rookie

Jun 14, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    How come the wing went up on the Veyron? I thought in full attack mode the wing stays down and the car drops down a few inches.......

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The wing comes up automatically when the Veyron switches from standard mode to handling mode at 220 km/h. Handling mode can also be engaged manually by the driver at any speed.

What you're referring to with your second question is the Veyron's top speed mode, required for attempting speeds above 375 km/h, which was not going to be a factor in this test.

Here's a complete explanation of the three modes from Bugatti's website:

http://www.bugatti.com/en/veyron-16.4/technology/speed.html

>8^)
    ER

9. Gerald

Gerald Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Gerald B.
    As great and innovative as the McLaren was in 1993, there is simply no comparision between the cars. This so-called shoot out was probably massaged to make it interesting. The Buggati is ridiculous. Ridiculously expensive, ridiculously well engineered, and ridiculously fast. It is also, in my opinion, the best car ever built.

10. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    The Stig is not, I repeat, IS NOT Michael Schumacher. That was a one episode deal to start the season with a bang, and to deflect attention from Ben Collins, who I think has pretty much been confirmed as the actual Stig.

As for the point of this thread, I think they should have used launch control. The video started by talking about the ridiculous numbers that are attached to the Veyron, and as we all know, the 100 mph McLaren catch up is a popular one. They should have tested that, using everything in the Veyron's arsenal, since a simple drag race was a foregone conclusion.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I agree. 2 different cars from 2 different eras...

12. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Nice video ... Thanks :)

13. seanpburke

seanpburke Rookie

Jun 14, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for clearing that up, very interesting.

14. timothymoffat

timothymoffat Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just wondering the history of that particular F1. Is that the car George Harrison originally owned ("Aubergine")?

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #40 Peloton25, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, this is a different car altogether. The actual color of this F1 is "Dark Burgundy". It is chassis #061 and was originally built for Rowan Atkinson who is still the car's owner today. The picture below offers a better representation of the color in the sunlight, though overcast skies (or Top Gear's filming techniques) can have a large effect on its hue and intensity. The area in the center of the hood in this shot is probably most accurate color representation as it is getting direct sun, but not the reflection of the blue sky due to the overhang above it. The blue sky tends to shift this car's color more towards the purple spectrum. I also have images that make the car look brown or almost black and a funny one taken at night when the car was covered in moisture where a camera's flash made it look almost pink.

George Harrison's car actually was not the "Aubergine" F1, which would be chassis #016. His car was chassis #025, painted "Dark Purple Pearl". This was a point of confusion for quite a long time because it has long been rumored/reported that the paint on his car was matched to an aubergine. Harrison's F1 is still owned today by his son, Dhani, which is contrary to several reports that it had been sold to Eric Clapton at some point.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. timothymoffat

timothymoffat Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    ^^^Thanks for the info on all three chassis. I've got a copy of a short-lived British magazine from the mid-nineties with an article on the F1 written by Rowan Atkinson. Near the end of the article he spoke of a "friend" who was trying to decide on ordering an F1. In retrospect I think the "friend" was himself!

Any pics of either 016 or 025?

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #42 Peloton25, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure - but suprisingly there are very few photos of #025 and none of them are what I would consider 'great'.

I've seen #016 in person and it has the most interesting color of any F1 I've come across. These first three shots are mine from the paddock of the 2006 Monterey Historics. They were taken with a polarizing filter under overcast skies in order to get the color to come out correctly.

The last three images are the best of the worst that exist of chassis #025. I do hope this car surfaces somewhere at an event with some talented photographers. It seems a shame that the content of such a unique and important F1 is so poor. If you don't like the black wheels there is also a set of polished wheels that have been seen on this F1 as well.

>8^)
    ER

18. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I am willing to bet if it was a proper race.. like on the top gear track it would have been much closer.. these stupid acceleration tests mean nothing.. only one aspect of a cars performance is acceleration.

19. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
  20. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I'd be interested in a top gear contest. On the main runway straight at Bruntingthorpe, coming out of the hairpin in mid 2nd gear, you hit 200 mph comfortably leaving miles of room to brake. If you go 2-6 instead and just floor it, the car still hits 180 mph at about the same spot.

21. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Wow. What is the gearshift like?

22. boraville

boraville Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Livingston, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bora Sultan
    I revist this quote every time I need a chuckle. Ha ha. Slow trading day. Needed a laugh.

23. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    why is it that the bugatti's tail lights are flickering in sequence just before it launches.... i know everyone has mentioned it didnt have LC on, but would this indicate that it did?

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There's no relation to Launch Control on the Bugatti and the flickering of the taillights, that is a myth. Here is the clearest explanation I have seen:

>8^)
    ER

25. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I really, really like the colour on 016, the F1 definitely suits darker colours.