Osama El-Atari found murdered | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Osama El-Atari found murdered

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by toggie, Feb 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #51 toggie, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of the two guys charged with Osama's murder.

2 arrested in the death of scam artist turned informant

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. (WUSA9) – Two people have been arrested in the death of a Leesburg man who was a jailhouse informant while serving time for scamming banks out of millions.

Eric Garris, 29, and Taqwa Muhammad, 26, were charged with first-degree murder and second-degree murder.

Osama El-Atari, 37, was reported missing by his family Thursday.

Saturday, El-Atari was found dead inside his new Dodge Ram pickup truck in front of an abandoned home in Upper Marlboro just outside the Beltway.

Detectives believe the motive for the murder was robbery.

Garris and Muhammad are in the custody of the Department of Corrections on a no bond status.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Is it me or does that black shirt look like it says 'Ferrari' logo and they used a black Sharpie to 'bleep' the logo on mugshot?

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #53 toggie, Feb 18, 2016
    Yes, but I believe the marking-out of the Ferrari logo is done by the shirt maker (to avoid a trademark lawsuit, probably).

Here is the link to buy the shirt from Hudson Outerwear.
    https://www.coolonsale.com/piece/Hudson-Outerwear-Hudson-Italian-Pedigree-Rari-T-Shirt-coskey-e59d-0f37-c9nwl

And here is a pic of the same shirt for sale.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow, if this was simply a case of robbery(i.e. no connection to his informant status) then there just may be something to this karma thing...

5. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Whoa. You mean the owner of a 30k truck would pay a yearly tax of $873.60 or whatever the trucks value based on that year? Here I am in PA and I get pissed off when I pay my yearly registration on my truck of something like $86 and car registration of something like $40.

Ps the world is better off without this jackoff around to con more people.

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's actually worse for us than that. For people with the car bug, might be a few here, we tend to buy and sell, to sample sports cars fairly regularly. Well, in VA, if you hold a car for only several months and let it go for another, there's no prorate on the new purchase, charged full sales tax every time. And as if that wasn't enough, Richmond has deemed it meet and right to charge us NoVA residents more than anywhere else in the commonwealth of Virginia. I think the rest of the state pays a full percent less in property tax per annum than we do. Nothing new, Richmond has been sticking it to NoVA for decades.

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    The high net worth people are in NoVA. They are simply redistributing the wealth to the less fortunate. Which is why I live across the river in MD.

You can have your taxes and draconian speeding laws.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

8. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    And traffic

9. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    And keep my gun rights. VA's Property Tax is usually offset by lower taxes in other areas (sales, income, etc...). As for speeding, MD is just as bad in enforcement, if not worse, IMO.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm a Virginian through and through. Little disappointed with her lately, but no desire to leave at all

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    #61 88Testarossa, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

Yeah, kudos on your gun rights.
    But we lay claim to Maryland blue crabs 😜

And, we finally have a Republican governor. Things are improving here. Not so much in NoVA, e.g, your traffic, higher property values and resultant taxes.

12. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    To Al and all the other MD-ers,

I'm really glad that you are happy there and that it works for you, and I truly do not mean to offend any of you, but I lived in MD once and it was the single worst (ok, second...) experience of my life - apartment broken into twice in the span of 3 weeks. I would do almost anything to avoid moving back there.

So sorry...

gp

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

And that is what happens when you move to Baltimore and rent an apartment over a bar on "The Block." :D

Most of Maryland is wonderful; small towns, Chesapeake Bay front properties, etc. But pick the wrong neighborhood, and hell yeah, in any town you're going to share your stuff with the locals, whether you want to or not. That's not exclusive to Maryland.

D

14. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    What you said is very true, but what can't be disputed is that VA personal property taxes on autos suck. Housing in NoVA is extremely expensive, traffic is a nightmare. This exchange is about car ownership and driving.

Driving 82mph in a 70mph speed zone in VA (i-95) will get you a reckless driving charge and jail time. And, to pour salt in the wound, radar detectors are unlawful in VA.

It's not a friendly state for car enthusiasts and collectors when compared to MD. The thread wasn't about crime and robbery VA v MD. You find crime in almost any town across America.

VA is for lovers (just not car lovers). 😃

Sorry that we got off topic.

15. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Points well taken, but it all depends on what kind of cars you love. When I owned my 308, the personal property taxes were lower than for my Triumph Spitfire. The old Jag I currently own (avatar pic) has no PP taxes at all. Finally, I would dispute the "jail time" claim - maybe in some locales, but not all. And it probably also depends on how you deal with the officer.

So please be gentle with those blanket statements. As I should about MD. ;)

Thanks.

gp

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#66 dm_n_stuff, Feb 24, 2016
  17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Housing in Maryland and Virginia is pretty comparable. Close in to DC is expensive, but Bethesda is more than Arlington, while Potomac is as step as McLean. Get out to the outer burbs and prices drop as you move further out at about the same rate. Annapolis on the Bay is slightly more than houses in Mount Vernon on the Potomac. But you are going to pay a bit more in aggregate taxes between sales/real estate/income in Maryland. Because of the reckless over 80mph in VA, our cops seem to be much more willing to give you a break and write it for 79mph if you aren't being an idiot. Maryland will bust you for 4 over heading into OC on the weeknd.

And head down to southern Virginia and our good ole' boy speedshops blow away everyone short of Competizione in Maryland. ;)

18. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I thought that a 308, Spitfire, and old Jag would all have the same low car tax? Pretty much just the decal cost.

19. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    I made my donation to VA last year. And yes, I was threatened with jail for doing 81 in a 70 zone while in the far LEFT lane while others passed me at 90+mph. It must've been my out of state, MD tags. VA cars weren't pulled over! Your law enforcement is draconian.

Yeah, VA sure beats MD!

I rest my case.

HOPEWELL, VA (WWBT) - Police in Virginia towns and cities are running radar on interstates, a practice advocates claim is little more than a money grab.

According to a state audit released last year, there are nine small cities and counties in the state now running radar on interstates or highways, going "beyond their normal enforcement activities." Seven of them are in central Virginia, including: Brunswick County, Dinwiddie, Emporia, Greensville County, Sussex County, Charlotte County and Hopewell.

Hopewell's controversial million dollar mile generated $1.6 million last year. It's the only program in the state to hire a dozen part-time workers to perform round-the-clock patrols on the interstate.

20. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Well, if you were in the left lane and we're getting passed, you were breaking the law in the Commonwealth by failing to move right for faster traffic, that law applies regardless of speed. Be glad the officer didn't hang paper on you for that too! 😄. And yeah, stay away from central Virginia and Emporia, just as I crawl into OC now.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob

You ought to try driving 15mph over on rt 50 with VA tags going to Ocean City in the summer. Your cops do the same thing to DC and VA tags, just so happens nobody wants to cross the god forsaken eastern shore unless it's over 70 degrees outside. I don't, and I have an office that way. Wouldn't surprise me if MD picked up 90+ percent of their ticket revenues in 3 months every year from beach goers.

I feel a little sorry for traffic cops to be honest. They're all type A alphas with a license to kick ass and they're caged in patrol cars collecting revenue most of the time, but in fraction of 1% of the cases have one of the most dangerous jobs out there. Never know who or what is in a car you've pulled over until it's too late, which is why they always approach with their hand on their sidearm.

I've gone to extreme lengths to not allow tickets to stick. I had one case in Myrtle Beach two years ago that lasted a year through three continuances and a few roster calls, lawyer finally had it dismissed. I represented myself in the last citation I received in VA, won, cop was livid, steaming mad when I was leaving the courtroom :rolleyes: I've received three citations in the last decade and none of them stuck. But yeah, 80 is a hard stop on major interstates in VA. It's dumb, draconian, but it has zero, and I mean ZERO impact on my love for VA.

22. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

My bad. I was in the SLOWEST lane, far RIGHT. I've driven a lot in Europe and know to always keep right after passing someone.

We still have the best crabs in the world

I think at this time, we can both agree that both states are better than living in North or South Dakota because neither has ocean access. 😎

23. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Dennis - at the time (late 90's), the county I lived in had minimum tax ($10) for any car over 12 years old (no long in NADA books), *unless* the car showed up on their list of "special" cars, which included things like Porsche, Corvette, M-B, *Triumph*, and a few others - but not Ferrari. So I paid $10 for the Ferrari, but $12.50 for the Triumph. :)

Now, with the old Jag (and living in a different county), having it registered on a YOM plate (same if on an "Antique" plate) causes the county to view it as a "household good", vice automobile, so no tax at all. :)

gp

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    VA sucks for buying cars, they hit you with sales tax and then property tax. When you trade in you don't get any credit for taxes already paid. At one point, they told me my escalade appreciated and raised my property taxes. Driving on 267 sucks, you have 4 different agencies patrolling not to help you but to F you. VA cops, especially state troopers are the biggest dicks around. The state is moving in the wrong direction, hopefully we get our **** together. Many libs from MD have moved here and are jacking everything up.

25. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    We are sending more libs thanks to our Republican governor. You can have them all 👍