Osama El-Atari found murdered | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Osama El-Atari found murdered

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by toggie, Feb 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Agree with your point. I wasn't saying one type of theft was better or worse than the other but rather a statement that his list of crimes continues to expand.

2. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

Do you honestly think his family didn't know what was going on?

Your comment reminds me of the arsonist who burned down his neighbor's house because he "wanted to roast some marshmallows."

Under sharia law, he would have lost a limb for each infraction and eventually, face execution.

This just proves that Karma has a wicked way of making things right.

I have to disagree with your sentiment. Let sleeping dogs rest.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

3. 168glhs1986

168glhs1986 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Does this really surprise anyone? Life in the fast lane only last so long.

4. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    #29 bonalonio, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    He should have purchased Reputation Repair, which works because nobodys sure what it even doo. #hashtagnotsurewhatreputationmanagementevendoo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    I do not know what his family did or did not know. I do know, however, that there are plenty of families that care about their misguided members who commit crimes. Just because he was a criminal doesn't mean his family has not suffered a loss.

I'm not sure what sharia law has to do with this. I equally don't understand the applicability of your arsonist parable.

6. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    Does ratting out other criminals make him worse? I don't know the answer to that one. I completely agree, however, that it likely contributed to his death.

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    #32 88Testarossa, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Sure, I'll go along with that - his family (and friends) were absolutely clueless. It happened to Bernie Madoff.

Just goes to show that there is both good and bad karma.

Discussion of sharia law belongs in P&R, but basically, I support cutting off the hand of a thief as a penalty and further deterrent.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

8. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #33 kiesan, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    My thoughts exactly.

10. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Contrary to Mr El-Atari.

I refused to falsely report revenue and to cover-up fraud that was short-paying my coworkers which caused me to lose my job last month. I did the right thing (honesty and integrity) but now have no job.

How can I trade in those good karma points for job leads in NoVA?

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
  12. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #37 ProRallyCodriver, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks. I will look into. Have negotiated an agreement w/ payment with former employer (used by several members here). It was the second corrupt management in row. Stressful years for me which I do not wish to return to.

Now in job market w/ everyone else but good karma points do not appear on resume or job applications. When bad karma can catch up to people fast, hoping good karma comes sooner than later.

13. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike

+1

14. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What do you do?

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope, doesn't make him better or worse, but sure as hell puts him at higher risk for shortening his term on Earth.

Ratting out OTHER bad guys to cut your sentence short will sure as hell make you really popular on your cell block, if anyone finds out. That much I think we can all agree on.

Buddying up to someone so you CAN rat him out points to the same character flaw that allowed him to swindle decent honest bank folk out of $60MM.

D

16. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    My work experience has been 26 years accounting related, 13 of them automotive. I can adapt to most anything technical. Hobbies are autoracing and quadcopters. Education is bachelors in natural resource management with federal law enforcement training.

Thanks.

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Latest news article on Osama is in the Washington Business News.

Nothing new is said in the article that we didn't already know, but it does a better job describing his illegal loan activity from 2007 to 2009.

Osama El-Atari, Virginia restaurateur behind $71 million loan scam, found dead - Washington Business Journal

Va. restaurateur behind $71 million loan scam found dead.

A Virginia restaurateur who conned at least eight banks into lending him $71 million was found dead in Prince George’s County over the weekend.

Police said Osama El-Atari of Leesburg, 37, was found inside a pickup truck in Upper Marlboro Feb. 13 suffering from a gunshot wound, WUSA-9 reports. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

El-Atari admitted to using fake insurance policies, financial statements and tax returns to trick at least eight banks into lending him some $71 million between 2007 and 2009, according to a criminal statement of facts signed by El-Atari as part of a plea deal. The scam and its aftermath were the subject of a Washington Business Journal cover story in August 2013.

El-Atari told the banks he was using the funds to help grow his restaurant holdings, which included the Original Steakhouse & Sports Theaters and Lucky’s Sports Theatre and Grill. He was actually using the money to pay off previous loans and fund expensive tastes in real estate and a fleet of cars, which included Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Bentleys, Porsches and a Rolls Royce. Prosecutors outlined the breadth of the scheme after El-Atari agreed to plead guilty in April 2010.

He was sentenced to 12 years in prison. While in jail, El-Atari turned informant, according to The Washington Post, and was eventually released after serving 51 months of his sentence.

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Seems to me you have the potential for the double whammy on whistle blowing.

You have illegal behavior, and you have retaliation for reporting it to your employer, who instead of rectifying the situation, fired you for reporting it.

D

19. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    He was found dead, not dying slowly and agonizingly. None of the people he stole from were there to witness his last breaths.

Is that the sad part?

On second thought perhaps a couple of his victims were on the scene.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'd certainly be talking to a good employment attorney.

21. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    While the conspiracy theories that he was murdered make it sound more interesting, without specific details regarding how Al-Atari was found dead, could it have been a suicide? PG County police so de-sensentized to murders that they jumped to homicide conclusion. Or if self-inflected but no weapon on scene, perhaps someone else discovered body and stole the gun. PG county criminals not the brightest.

Rally buddy (XGames champ Dave Mirra) was also found dead in his truck last week of suicide and he had everything (business, fame, family) going for him. Al-Atari, seems everyone had turned their backs to him.

My situation. Good attorneys cost $ for consultation fees right off the bat and then charge hourly $ that I did not have not knowing where/when my next paycheck was coming. I did post here on FChat inquiring for a whistleblower attorney when it happened in January. Until I am gainfully employed again, I do not know what my monetary damages are.

I did have first interview w/ a headhunter today. Any other leads appreciated.

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hearing about Dave Mirra was really sad. I raced BMX for a long time and Hoffman and Mirra were the best. They both pushed the sport so far. A few people have suggested that Mirra's suicide may have been the result of so many concussions over the years. An article I read about Hoffman stated that he thinks he has had over 100 concussions, and at one point they were a weekly occurrence.

Sorry to stray off topic.

23. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Two suspects arrested.

Robbery Cited as Motive in El-Atari Homicide ? Loudoun Now

Robbery Cited as Motive in El-Atari Homicide.

The Price George County (MD) Police Department has arrested two suspects in connection with the Feb. 13 fatal shooting of a Leesburg man.

The announcement was made on the department’s Twitter feed. The department said Osama El-Atari’s death was believed to have occurred during a robbery.

The message said details would be released later.

24. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Wow! More drama than Real Housewifes.

25. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name: