Original Design Studio Art ? Lancia Flaminia | FerrariChat

Original Design Studio Art ? Lancia Flaminia

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by so_choice, Jan 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 so_choice, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know there are quite a few car designers / design collectors on this forum so figured I would take a shot in posting this. I came across the piece attached for sale in Italy. It is a sketch of a Lancia Flaminia that is apparently done on very thin paper. The sketch is unsigned with no stamps or markings.

The style and quality of this piece looks quite similar to pieces created in automakers design studios in this era. However, because there are no markings or history, it's also possible that this was made by an amateur artist / enthusiast at a much later date. The paper is still very white and in great shape, though this could be explained if it is acid free and was stored out of light.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights on whether this might be original design studio art from the 1960s or something more recent?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    without seeing the actual drawing, it's difficult to tell
    if it is in fact a real styling artifact, you can sometimes tell by the paper & technique used
    at this point you have nothing to lose

curious where the passenger side frt tire went :eek:

believe it or not, E-Bay is a good place to start, under automotive styling art or something similar

3. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for your insights! This piece is actually on eBay currently from a seller in Northern Italy - I haven't yet purchased it. It comes from an estate and the seller does not know the history or age. I am a casual collector of original styling / advertising art and the price would be a great buy for original styling art. However, it's a bit more than I would want to spend for something made more recently.

Now that you've pointed it out, I can't unsee that missing front tire! Haha

4. 10/10ths

10/10ths Rookie

Jan 1, 2015
    #4 10/10ths, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    SoChoice,
    I looked at the image and it is most definitely not a period drawing. It looks to be an art piece by a talented artist no doubt, but not so different from many car artists out there. I wanted to say it was recent, but it may be older being that not many are clamoring for a drawing of a PF coupe, sorry to disappoint. I'm also in the hunt for true period factory drawings of the Flaminias and have looked at more than a few. To be truly convinced, I personally would need to see a designers mark, or some supporting documentation. A couple weeks ago there were period blueprints of the Flaminia Berlina being auctioned on ebay. Good luck.

5. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for your insights! I ended up passing on this piece as there were too many questions. Best of luck with your search as well!