Original Coolant Hoses - Replace! | FerrariChat

Original Coolant Hoses - Replace!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Jan 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Whenever people on this board ask for advice regarding purchasing a Mondial, I always refer to the need to replace fuel hoses for safety, and coolant hoses over time to ensure reliability on driving and not have a hose failure. The fuel ones are the most critical, and every Mondial should have them replaced regardless of mileage as modern fuels are hard on older hoses, and they will all be in various stages of degradation.

The coolant hoses are less critical, sure if a hose blows you will be stranded and possibly you can do engine damage if things overheat, but it is not as critical as the fuel.

On my 1988 Mondial 3.2, over 18 years of ownership I have replaced some of the coolant hoses as I have done various maintenance over the years, but not all of them as for the most part they all look like they are in decent shape. I nearly had a hose blow out of the one under the intake manifold that rarely gets replaced, only by accident while looking at the engine while idling after a long drive did I spot huge hose bulge. I am lucky it did not burst while I was looking at it, that would have been an absolute disaster. So of course that one was replaced, and it is very difficult to do without removing the whole plenum/manifold, but I managed to do in situ. But I could see why this hose would often be overlooked, it is not really visible at a casual look over the engine.

One easily accessible hose, the one from the bottom of the overflow catch tank, I had never replaced, and as it is branded SAIG, which was the OEM supplier I presume it may be a 32 year old original hose. I was mostly focused on the more difficult to replace hoses, and since this one was so visible and looked fine, I never got around to replacing it.

Finally did, and I was very surprised to see the inside of the hose being so badly worn, while the exterior of the hose looked pretty much as new. 32 years of coolant chemistry and heat eventually takes it toll, and that presumes the old style green coolants many now use the BMW or other HOAT coolants, the acid chemistry which are much harder on hoses.

I have been replacing my hoses with those offered by Scuderia Rampante, which I had purchased a fuel hose kit and coolant hose kit years ago. Their current silicon based coolant hose offerings are designed with a liner layer that is resistant to the modern coolants, much like some modern gas hoses have liners to help with the alcohol resistance. The OEM style hoses are available, but the Scuderia Rampante hoses have some advantages for those who work on the cars more frequently, the OEM rubber tends to "weld" itself on to fittings over time, good for no leaks but bad for dismantling connectors for servicing and risk damaging the hose connections or having to cut the hoses. The silicon hoses will have some aspect of leak potential because they don't self weld like that, but can be removed and reattached without the damage potential to the hose or fittings. As long as the hose clamps are snugged up periodically, and or a slight silicon gasket sealer coating is applied on install, I would expect these hoses to be the best choice for a car that by its nature has hoses removed and reconnected as part of many of its service requirements.

Thought it useful to share my hose experiences, many cars of my vintage being purchased can still have quite low mileage, but age and chemistry will still take their toll on hoses, and replacement should be costed into a purchase price for those who expect to drive their cars reliably.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    While I don't doubt the superior chemical structure of the SR specialty hoses, my recommendation and practice have always been "I remove the engine and the hoses are all cut, I replace the hoses with regular rubber hoses or OEM hoses when the engine go back in."

That way, all the hoses get a chance to be replaced every so often. I can't bring myself to spending $1500 on superior hoses that require king-kong clamping force to stay on.

The opinions expressed are my and my alone.

davem likes this.
  3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #3 moysiuan, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Can't disagree with the logic of replacing hoses as routine consumable service items. The problem is the regular hoses are not so easy to source in the correct sizes, and if you buy from the usual Ferrari parts suppliers the proper fit hoses the prices are not so cheap either. If you have your own spools of the relevant hoses, then it makes perfect sense. But for a do it yourselfer like me, I don't want to cut and replace a hose where a reusable option is available. I do however not want leaks so time will tell if there is downside to the silicon option.

My favorite OEM hose is the coolant type 90 degree bend hose sleeve that attaches from the air bypass hose to the auxiliary air valve pn 123860 that lists on the various Ferrari parts suppliers from about $200 to $700!

Do you have a lead on a correct fit for this little hose?

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Part 34
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
  6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Correct, hence I refer to a coolant type elbow hose, that would have the suitable thickness and rigidity to handle the air flow in 5his application.

7. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Looks like I am in the market for a coolant hose now. Had a nice drive on Sunday in my 83 QV and when I got home the coolant light came on. And a puddle was on the driveway as I pulled in the garage. Coolant was poring out of the plate covering the fuel tanks. Must be the long hoses running to the radiator. Got the Jack stands out and ready to go. Got to pull the belly plate first. More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Keep us posted on how this goes, I am due to do those too. I am told the Scuderia Rampante hoses are somewhat thinner wall than stock and allows the underbelly hoses to be pulled through the body easier, not sure if that is actually the case, but sounds like it could be.

Curious where the hose split, probably in the area closest to the headers and an engine heat.

9. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    My full time job is getting in the way of my full time job. Time to find the coolant leak. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    moysiuan likes this.
  11. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Hey. Any additional places to purchase hoses? Scuderia Rampant is out of stock for awhile, local Ferrari dealer sent me to Gates hose which come only in 3 ft lengths. Checking on UK distributors but that may take awhile. Local auto parts places don’t carry 6 ft of 40 mm or 38 mm hoses.

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    McMaster Carr has lengths up to 25 ft, but only in the non metric sizes. Might try the closest imperial match.

Eddie.h likes this.
  13. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks. Lower hose is out. Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  15. DavidB

DavidB Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    David Barnes
    When I brought my Mondial 15 years ago I had a burst hose shortly after.
    I replaced all the water hoses and when the opportunity came some years later
    I also replaced the heater hoses. Not because they were leaking but because I could.
    It is just basic maintenance and common sense.
    If you think you have original hoses do yourself a favour and get the whole lot replaced.
    Cooking an engine is too easy and in Australia Mondial V8 is a $30,000.00 rebuild.
    First time you should always replace all the hoses so you have a base line.
    If you don't you don't have a reference point and never know how old the hoses are.
    DavidB 1988 Mondial 3.2 Sydney Australia.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The heater hoses look tough to fish through the body panels, mine are the originals. No point in replacing the main ones and leaving these, so that's on the list too. Any tips on getting at the hose from the dash to the engine bay?

17. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
  18. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
  19. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada

20. DavidB

DavidB Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    David Barnes
    Hello Eddie.h
    I had the dash out for another job. That is when I replaced the heater hoses.

21. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Well after several tries and a can of silicone lubricant. The 1 5/8 inch hose will not go through the tunnel. Not enough room with the brake line. And just to big around. Back to try and order a true 40 mm hose or the 38 mm hose. I definitely don’t recommend the 1 5/8 hose for the 83 QV.

22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    That sounds very frustrating. What was the OD and ID of the original hose removed?

23. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login here are the numbers on the original equipment. Hard to tell the diameter since they are bloated from age. But Ferrari of Houston says 40mm. But 38 will work (you mentioned that earlier). The hoses I ordered in the website were listed as 40mm. But what I got was 1 5/8 Gates brand. Just a little larger, but just a little too much.

24. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    moysiuan likes this.
  25. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx