Oregon Special Interest Plates | FerrariChat

Oregon Special Interest Plates

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by fastback33, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    So I'm considering importing a car from europe and am looking for some support from the local ferrari club.

The car isnt italian, but french, rare and not 25 years old yet. Seeing how uncommon french cars are in the US there isnt a french car club I can reach out to. Like cousins, the ferrari club is my next best bet. ;) (Maybe the local alfa club as well).

Anyway my plan is to run it as a track only car but would like to have plates so I can drive to and from the track. In order to do that I need a club member's signature I believe? Not sure whom in the hierarchy of the club would be willing to vouch for me however. In return I'd like to drive the car during club events and can pay any administrative costs this would require.

Any help on who to contact or how I can accomplish this would be greatly appreciated!

2. Fiorano 550

Fiorano 550 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    If your car is street legal then of course you would get plates at DMV. If it is not street legal, I don’t believe anyone at any of the car Clubs can ‘vouch’ for you to drive on the street. If you are aware of such a variance I’d be interesting in looking into that. The FCA as you know is open to non-Ferrari owners, so all you need to do to join the FCA is go to their website or the local regions website at NWRFCA.org and join. You’d have all the normal privileges and you and your car would be welcome at all our events.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My brother has a lot of french cars, although he has been trimming the fleet a bit.

The key is that the car needs to be here legally. I think the process I would follow is to get normal plates first, then convert to SP plates. If you can't get normal plates, I doubt if you could get SP plates.

Another idea is to become a dealer and get dealer plates.

You might talk to Matt Crandall at Avant Garde. He has dealt with a LOT of weird stuff over the years, and if anyone would know how to do it, it's him.

fastback33 likes this.
  4. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Don is your brother a member of any car clubs that are registered with the dmv? I ask because there are plenty of italian/autocross/track clubs but good luck finding a french club!

Importing is a non issue. There is an exemption so to speak for track only cars. So getting the car to the US is the "easy part". Finding a car club/member willing to sign off as the car being special interest is proving to be more difficult than expected.

I'll send Matt an email and see what I can turn up!

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My brother is not a "joiner" so no, he's not a member of any clubs. He is good friends with Matt, however! Most (all?) of his cars were legally imported and by now are 25 years old or older. Back in the day, he had a dealer's license and so drove them that way, but eventually that became too much of a hassle.

I'm surprised that importing the car as a track car has been easy for you. I have heard many horror stories over the years about what Customs wanted in order to prove that a car was "track only"-- and it went way beyond the owner just saying that it was. My brother brought all of his cars in as road-legal because the track car thing was so difficult.