Optima Battery Yellow vs Red | FerrariChat

Optima Battery Yellow vs Red

Discussion in '360/430' started by FazTaz, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Need to replace the battry of my Scud. Currently there is a red top 34R. Any benefit for using the yellow top with the deep cycle component? My trickle charger was accidentally unplugged and my current 34R was removed and put on a bench charger. It won't hold a charge, my assumption is this is less likely to occur with the yellow top. Any downside using yellow vs red?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is exactly true. No real downside since you aren't likely driving in freezing temps. But I wouldn't get an Optima, I would get an Odyssey or an Interstate.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative on Optimas not being optimal.

4. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    Plus 1 on NO Optima. They use to be a great battery but they are now being made out of the country and the quality is crap now. I replaced mine with a Odyssey AGM battery.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My understanding is that Odyssey designed the Optima battery. It WAS their offer but they found maintaining quality was difficult to maintain with the design and it didn't meet the demands of their military & other ruggedized, armored battery contracts. SO, they sold the design to Optima and designed the new battery they sell now. Quality on the Optima maintained for a while but started to slide. Manufacturing moved off shore and quality dropped more; It didn't get any easier to make and the new process tolerances were not as tight.

rudkinjc likes this.