Optic Nerve injury | FerrariChat

Optic Nerve injury

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by crazy canuck, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    A family member of a very close friend suffered a fall that resulted in the loss of vision in one eye. The Dr.'s have said that his eye is not damaged -- it's the optic nerve that is damaged.

Any advice from anyone who has gone through this or has any experience with this on any medical options, i.e. stem cell therapy ?, or dietary suppplementation, or other options to help with this ?

Thanks

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry about your friend's family member. I've also experienced severe head trauma before (which might explain a few things :D) but I have no experience or knowledge of trauma on the optic nerve.

However, I am registered on this website and you might find its information on Traumatic Optic Neuropathy Treatment & Management useful.

3. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Thanks 4th gear -- that's some good reading...

I'm intrigued about the steroid injections -- wonder if they might work.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    From what I've read, the steroid treatments seem to be aimed at preventing (nerve) tissue damage from oxidative stress caused by inflammatory response to the trauma. This would seem intuitive enough but I would be concerned about the administration of high systemic doses of steroids. Unless this is directed at dampening systemic inflammation, it would seem to be a heavy-handed way of delivering potentially dangerous levels of steroids which may well harm healthy tissue.

I think it's pretty intuitive that post-trauma inflammation would present a serious risk to patients with optic nerve trauma. Reduction or elimination of tissue damage from inflammatory responses would likely help prevent additional injury to the patient. But I think therapy needs to be better targeted and avoid unintended effects on healthy tissue.

There are probably more focused methods of dampening inflammation. I recently used LLLT (low level laser therapy), icing and antithrombotic topical medication to very good effect while recovering from surgery to correct an old sports injury. While this was very different trauma and very different tissue compared to optic nerve trauma the reduction of inflammation would seem to be of universal value as regards preventing additional tissue damage caused by inflammation.

Finally, your friend may also be interested in this UK study on regenerating damaged optic nerve at University College London.