Opinions on the Speed Commentators | FerrariChat

Opinions on the Speed Commentators

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Pirate75, Apr 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pirate75

Pirate75 Karting

Feb 19, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    JT
    Just curious to see what everyone's opinion is on Marchet, Hobbs, and the rest on Speed. I normally enjoy what they have to say, but sometimes they can be ridiculous.

For example, today during the champagne spray, when they made the comment that "this isn't the drink Kimi prefers." No need for that nonsense.

2. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I like thier commentary, especially all the jokes and sound effects from Hobbs. And his comment on the champagne was funny.
    Stop being so politically correct. You could tell Kimi was commenting on the same thing on the podium.

3. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    +1

4. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I think Steve Matchett's commentary is insightful, and David Hobbs is hysterical. Bob Varsha, I feel, is not really on the ball.

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Disagree completely.

Watch Kimi's expression while Matchett said that, and then Kimi whispers something to another driver... that's exactly what Kimi was thinking or even saying. The driver's, especially Kimi, couldn't put that Beverage down fast enough. Perfect comment from Matchett IMHO.

IMO Matchett, Hobbs, and Varsha are Excellent. Consider how painful it is to watch F1 in the US on those occasions when F1 isn't on speed TV...

Ralph Sheheen... Derek Daily.... That's Fingernails on a chalkboard IMVHO

6. pawlie

pawlie Formula Junior

May 10, 2006
    Philly, USA
    Full Name:
    Paul F.
    Derek Daily has the most annoying voice of anyone ever...

I do get tired of Steve Matchett crying about the legality plank being too thin in Belguim '94...let it go!

7. ttgangsta

ttgangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    They do a great job if you ask me. They have to try and reach some balance between catering to experienced f1 fans and new fans that don't understand the sport at the same time. I like that I can watch it and get the data I like and I can have my gf or some of my buddies watch it and they teach them and give them enough information to start enjoying the sport. I give them an A+ lol

8. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I like those guys.

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I think they are great. About the only thing that rediculous channel has going for it.
    Varsha is better than all the alternatives when the networks get their races. Matchett offers some very insightful information and comments. Hobbs' experience allows him some great stories and the ability to interpret happenings in a way only a driver can. Hobbo's humor is priceless, he cracks me up at least once every race.
    I would love to buy drinks for these guys.

10. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    +1 Speed blows..

11. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Please note that alcohol is legal in Bahrain; it's the basis of their economy. Saudis drive over to get drunk and patronise the whores.

In other words, it's much like Dubai.

:D

12. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I like Hobbs, Varsha and Machett. You have to realize that they are calling the race from a studio in the US. They are not at the track--and a buddy of mine that is a sportscaster tells me that it is nearly impossible to call a sports event by remote.

As far as Peter Winsor, I don't care for his pre-race walk. He interrupts people just to "say hi and good luck." I'd prefer he take 5 minutes and set up something with one of the drivers--or their trainer for Pete's sake. Do some groundwork and you can get more than "hi and good luck."

I hear this every week, "Bob, from what I can tell you, it is really hot out here and the key to this race is going to be fuel strategy. The cars at the front of the grid may be stopping earlier than those on the second and third row." Wow, really, Peter? Thats a BGO--blinding glimpse of the obvious. (I copied that term from Ross Johnson at RJR Nabisco.)

13. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    Sometimes some of there comments get on my nerves but overall I enjoy them. When Massa spun out during the Malaysian GP, I think it's Hobbs who you hear laughing. Regarding the Kimi comment I was thinking the samething when they commented on it so I laughed out loud as well.

14. Gonzago

Gonzago Karting

Dec 6, 2006
    Only time they bug me is when Hobbs calls "Super Aguri" "Super Best Friends".... that joke is a couple years too old. Otherwise, I enjoy thier quips.

15. Algo

Algo Rookie

Apr 1, 2008
    I remember (maybe last year or the year before) when F1 switched to CBS.

It was so bad that I had turned off the sound and just watched it. I think recently, when the switched to CBS the kept Mr. Matchett, Hobbs and Varsha. (alot better)

16. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    I really like Matchett's technical commentary, I only wish there were more of it...

Varsha is merely ok...

Hobbs' experience and stories are awesome....

Windsors' paddock walk gets kindve annoying week after week when he says the same things as someone commented above...

17. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Yes, I appreciate hearing people who have been there & know it from the inside. Bob Varsha is easy to listen to. Steve Matchett is a gold mine of info. Hobbs is fun, but I do wish he wouldn't interrupt & talk over the other guys quite so much. If anyone interrupts, it will be him.
    Great to hear Peter Windsor's comments, but I also agree with the previous discussion of his pre race walkabout banter being less useful.
    All in all, I'm glad we have Speed's coverage.
    Just my 2 cents.

18. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I have fond memories of the Cyclone... :)

19. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Better him than Chris Economaki...

20. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Windsor's walk DOES give us a chance to see the drivers and team guys talk without a script; considering how F1 is not very fan-friendly, he provides access to a 'closed society'.... I welcome that.

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Only think of the alternatives; you'll decide to buy these guys a drink!

(and +1 on the comment above about doing this in a darkened room many thousands of miles from the event; (relying on Bernies choice of broadcaster...)).

Count ourselves lucky.

(and now for my rant: this was such an INCREDIBLY BORING race......NOBODY could have made the commentary interesting......).

Back to you.....

22. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I used to hate Varsha, but I think he does a good job now.
    The last 3 years I think they have been at their best.

23. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've ran into Hobbs and Varsha at least 5 of the 7 years at Indy. I always stay at the Omni and Speed does too. They usually close St. Elmo's and then head to The Omni bar. They are nice guys and just seem like race fans. Last year they bought us drinks as Hobbs gave commentary to the 24 Hrs. of LeMans live on TV. At 12:30 on Sat. night I said, "Don't you guys have to work tomorrow." Hobbs said, "It's ok, I don't have to drive." Just as they are on TV, just regular guys at a race who want to talk about racing.

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nonsense? It was the truth, and funny too! Overall I don't think we will ever see a broadcast team in F1 that surpasses these guys. Of course not everyone is going to like everything they say, but considering they are calling the race in the middle of the night in some remote studio I think their performance is as good as can be expected. I suspect someday when they disband a lot of us race fans will really miss them.

25. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    They use to be a little rough around the edges, but they have jelled as team and are now quite entertaining. Excellent reporting of the goings ons. If I have a criticsm, it is there speculation of team strategies that they seem to project as fact. They are frequently wrong. Example: This weekend they were wrong on teams (Drivers) fuel strategies several times. Still, I like their know it all attitude and they are not afraid to spoof on each other for being wrong. It makes for good entertainment and insight, even when they're wrong.