Opinion of Chris Bangle's design direction with BMW........... | FerrariChat

Opinion of Chris Bangle's design direction with BMW...........

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kizdan, Oct 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How do you like current BMW styling?

1. I love it.

2. I am neutral.

3. I can't stand it.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    How do you like his styling?

2. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
    Hideous carbage (IMHO).

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Long time BMW fan, had at one time cars of different eras ranging from the 70s right on up.

Instead of buying the replacement to my 750 (the 760...I tried, as there was a nice one nearby, just could not get myself), I bought a Merc. Sad, I would have NEVER thought something like that was possible in 2001.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I should add that despite their visual woes, they still drive better then anything else. That much is still there at least. :cool:

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm neutral towards them. I don't think they're hideous, but they're far from pretty. When I see one, I just go "meh." FYI, the E38 still turns my head everytime. The E65 does not and will not.

6. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I still think the older body 5 series is one of the most beatiful "normal" cars ever made. The stance, lines, and proportions are just wonderful. The new 5's while "fresh" do not hold a candle to the old.

7. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Like I said on the M6 thread...polling on a ferrari board isn't accurate. A lot of the older members prefer the styling of the older models. They grew up with them and prefer them. I (29 yrs. old) don't care for the older model designs and prefer the '95 and up designs.
    If you want to get another non-accurate polling result...post it on a bmw forum.

8. FriscoRays

Apr 14, 2005
    I think that this Board, and in particular this section of the forum, attracts a pretty representative cross section of car enthusiasts and not just Ferrari fanatics.

For example, there is this thread where Ferrari was ranked behind several other vehicles from a styling perspective:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65030&highlight=db9+poll

As such, I think the poll outcome can be viewed as generally valid, unless members from BMW sites start stuffing the ballot box. I think the only hope of getting a positive response to Bangle styling is to go to sites devoted to BMW enthusiasts (and even then the outcome is far from certain unless the voting is limited to actual owners of the cars in question). Just because the cars are selling well does not make Bangle styling a success.

9. bimmer32five

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If the cars are selling well...if bmw can't even keep some in stock...then yes i say bangle's design is a success.

Bangle designed the rolls phantom also but didn't put his name on it fearing the b.s. outlash that is current with bmw.

10. FriscoRays

Apr 14, 2005
    Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords sell loads and loads as well. Is the styling of these cars successful? To a businessman, absolutely. To a fan of beautiful cars, absolutely not (again IMHO).

11. bimmer32five

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    beautiful cars is subjective also. Buyers of accord and camry aren't in the same league as bmw. Those buyers are looking for a dependable, reliable mode of transportation. bmw is selling high end cars where beauty is more important since it's got so many competitors. I don't think bmw is losing buyers because of bangle's designs.

12. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    Chris Bangle has design direction?

13. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Adrian van Hooydonk took over styling for BMW automobiles in 2004. He styled the current 6- and 7- series. IIRC, Z4 and 5- series were more Bangle designs.

That said, the new 3 looks good, and spy shots and renderings of the next 7 look good to me, too. I think things have improved since Bangle got booted upstairs (Director of Design for BMW Group)

Ian Cameron designed the Roller. Bangle's name will be attached to it only because he's Director.

Now, if they would only scrap i-Drive and start over...

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The Bangle designed Bimmers are the best since the iconic 2002 IMHO...In fact, a lot of other marques are now copying it with their cars...especially Japanese and Korean brands...

15. bimmer32five

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I read somewhere that bangle designed the rolls. I think it was in Roundel. I'm talking about the current phantom.

16. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    How is this not accurate? You are stating your opinion as to why you feel it wouldn't be accurate..............you have any proof to back up what you are saying?

I think you know the styling will get slammed, and already have an excuse in hand.

17. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    LMAO

18. bimmer32five

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark

Here's an example: I'm not a big fan of old car design 60's, 70's etc... because I didn't grow up with those designs. I prefer the newer styles. I read my roundel magazine and all these people complain about bangle designs and how they love their e30s and e28's etc.... I think think in general ferrari owners are older and prefer those older styles. Sure there are exceptions but not for the most part.

I know the styling will get slammed on here...but I love it...and i'll be replacing my E46 with an E92.

19. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Bangle "supervised" the design of the Phantom, within his duties as Director of Design for BMW group. Everything I've read credits Marek Djordjevic as designer of the Phantom. He's since left BMW/Rolls-Royce and started his own studio.

I was wrong on Ian Cameron, he's current head designer for Rolls-Royce. His name stuck in my head, much easier to remember than "Marek Djordjevic".

20. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree. I've had a 745 for a couple of years and I'm still amazed how nimble the car is for a big sled. Much younger and more agile than the big body Benz including the S550. I was so so on the looks when I bought it but the S500 just felt like an old mans sled at the time. The more I drive the car the more the looks grow on me.

I'm in the middle of my first long road trip with it. I was rocketing across the Utah desert. VIrtually no change in feel or noise between 100 and 130. Crazy smooth and steady.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    As with other art, if a designer's products are controversial...they are a success...isn't that the true measure of artistic success?

22. Hessian

Hessian Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan S.
    Now I know why I find the RR Phantom so ugly. Beauty is purely subjecive, so I speak for no one but myself, but the current 3/5/7s are profoundly esthetically disappointing. I like elements of the 6 and the Z4, but those designs are still visually flawed. This not a comment on the profitability of the designs, or the mechanical prowess of the cars; I just don't like the way they look. Then again, I still think the 1999 Lincoln Town Car is one fine looking ride.

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    This logic basically says if you're old you won't like the new stuff and vice-versa. That's a pretty narrow minded view. Only young people can appreciate the new things.

I guess I got 'old' (based on the above logic) after the last generation of BMW's, because I loved every car in that lineup. I liked them each more than the preceeding car, and also the cars that came before that.

I wonder how I'm supposed to explain that I love the new Rolls, even though I've never thought a Rolls was attractive before? Or how come I like the new Civic 4 door, but I've never given a second look to a Civic? I also prefer the 430 over the 360, but how can that be? I'm old!

24. bimmer32five

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ok ok so my logic or lack of is abit flawed. It's just what i've experienced with bmw's. The older generation of owners prefers the older designs.

25. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I feel the same way. I couldn't stand MB's reliability after my sister's experiences with her C-class, but I bought an E500 4matic because I could not stand to look at the BMWs that were offered at the time. If BMW drops the Bangle-butt design with all the curves and creases in the body, I'll return my business to them.

Thank God my RR is a 2000 Silver Seraph; for all the doo-dads and gimmicks with the Phantom (its as big as an F-4), it is ugly as sin and makes mine look so much more elegant.