Opening a Gym ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opening a Gym ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Feb 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I would like to get in on that bet ... I also enjoy meeting fellow fchatter

2. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Gladly - you're on!!

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    once to Tampa once. and recently a friend mentioned i should consider Tampa over Nc to relocate

4. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    What does this mean?

5. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    If you are considering and you need some pointers or someone to show you around just PM me. It's a great place to live.

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    only been to Tampa once

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    This is our philosophy. We also lead all workouts with a trainer and also provide other services.

8. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    As with most businesses location is key. I own a club in Chicago, my success is not rocket science, I only have one major competitor in my area and they are a big corporate chain. So we play the stay local neighborhood business without the used car salesman tactics. Been 5 years and growing.

9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Deal! Now how do we determine if it's over?

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    When they stop showing the CF games . Espn only show what's popular and will generate good ads time.

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Fair enough.

I had an experience last night that made me think of this thread.

We were scheduled to do the Filthy Fifty and I thought to myself "Let's see if any walkins come in to try tonight to gauge response/return ratio." The owner let them do a scaled version that they made it thru but the look on their faces when they saw us do the actual exercise was priceless. They told me they would be back. We'll see.

I also got a local gym flyer to join for zero money down, ten dollars a month, no commitment. I stopped by and it's loaded with machines and cardio equipment, very nice. Dead empty. I don't see how anyone can turn a decent profit at those rates.

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
  13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lol! I agree, I posted the same thing earlier. Well, at least they stuff 'em with free pizza so they have to keep coming back. Good way to ensure business.

Filthy Fifty is one of my favorite. I like Murph a lot too.

14. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    What the heck - you guys both are betting against me and then you are determining the rules for our bet amongst each other ;-).........

I was hoping we could use estimated open cross fit gyms in January 2014 vs December 2015, however given that your suggestion might be a bit easier to determine I'm game either way.

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #41 DonJuan348, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    I'm game... Just means i get a dinner tampa styl that much sooner

16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    crossfit is horribly expensive for what you get. the workouts are hard, but it's not worth the money. a lot swear by it and it was great for an accessory item when i had the extra cash for a third gym membership, but i eventually dropped it. once you learn the moves it's not necessary to stay at one.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #43 DonJuan348, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Expensive , depends on perspective , personal trainer $30-60+/ hour. Price of meds such as high blood pressure or cholesterol endless .

I can't understand why people say it's hard. It is a " work " out . Plus how hard could it be if the majority of participates are female.
    Here's an old man doing it

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeLVMgz-yUo[/ame]

A regular gym should be your accessory and crossfit your main. Crossfit produces results without fluff or shiny machines.

Yes, you can do it at home ,. That's why insanity has sold so many DVDs. How many really is consistent and sticks to it. About as many who signs ups for gym every January and by march is no longer going.

At 47, I play on 4 hockey teams with the average age of the other players 32. Plus still run 100m under 12 seconds

Crossfit promotes a lifestyle which the majority sticks with.
    "Today I will do what you won't ...so tomorrow I can do what you can't "

As my 70y uncle told me long when one morning I didn't feel like training with him that day. If you don't feel like at 30 or 40 then you definitely won't feel like it at 60+. Then see who is complaining about sore bad back , sore joints, winded after going upstairs.

As result , at 71 , he still has a 6 pack benches and squats 315 , runs 5 miles and completes two ironman per year. And Started doing crossfit

But it's hard...especially when you spent more with beer and remote.

18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    That rocks!!! God willing, I'll be that guy in another thirty years. I don't care what you do, stop moving and you stop living. Damn, that guy is a beast. Shows what you can accomplish with determination and hard work.

Regarding cost, yes it's not cheap but you are paying for the comrade ride and atmosphere. Anyone can go to the main website and do the program for free in their garage or at Planet Fatness. It's nothing new or revolutionary.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    +1. I do it in my garage. and staying movitated is as much of a challenge as the workout

Move people !!

20. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Did anyone build muscles before Xfit?

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The spot I go to has free weights, dip bars, and dumbbell setups. Coupled with a bench and the squat racks it has the best of both worlds. No lat pull down machines but that's what pull-ups are for. No foo foo locker though.

Of course, duh! ;) There is more than one way to skin a cat, Crossfit is just one. Although it isn't conducive to building bulk unless you really focus more on strength (i.e Crossfit Football). It's more about lean muscle and endurance.

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #48 DonJuan348, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Hot shoe mi trying to be that guy also. Of course we built bulk. But at 47 , I rather be physical fit than buff.

The average gym rat has big numbers for squat bench pull down etc ...and usually struggles doing high number push-ups pull-ups squat or running interval. And even few could do muscle ups or handstand push-ups , NON can do the flag all body weight movements . Watch these guys and you tell me

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PssTAnFRbmw[/ame]

This takes strength and cardio ie much more physical fitness and agility

Xfit isnt revolutionary it's someone name for HIIT.( high intensity interval training )

Open a gym based around body weight training . Remember Herschel Walker ...look up his work out

23. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Can't remember if it was "Shark Tank", "The Profit" or a commercial for something else but I recently heard that 95% of all gyms fail and I can say it certainly seems to be true in my area. My next door neighbor's garage is filled to the brim with equipment bought for pennies on the dollar at gyms that were closing.