Only a few hours until Gran Turismo 4 !!! | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Only a few hours until Gran Turismo 4 !!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by damcgee, Feb 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #251 WJHMH, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "301 pricing from $10,000 to $30,000US depending on options"

Holy crap that was frickin' great but for that much why not just buy a used WRX rally car?

Btw, here's a friends Impreza after last years SCCA Oregon race.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    You got your answer right there. 30k and you don't need to fix it when you crash! And you don't have to trailer the car everywhere.

BTW, finally got my hands on GT4, pulled a fookin pathetic 7:54 around the Nordschleife in my SL65 ... muuhahahahaha

3. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Last night after spending massive amount of time tuning, tweaking, & racing the Ford GT, my PS2 suffered a massive stroke. It can no longer read game disks or DVDs, all I get is a disk error message. I have reason to believe it’s a laser tracking is out of adjustment, its making a loud clicking noise when booting up. This may have been the result of an unexpected fall it took about 6 months ago. After that it would only work if was placed upright. Sigh, it's been a great 4 years. My ol' PS2 got me though some of the best & worst times of my life. I'm not looking forward to replacing it with the new slim PStwo model, I've heard that it has it drawbacks.

PS2 SCPH-3001 #U3592534 R.I.P.
    2001 to 2005

4. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    when will the viewing be, may God have mercy on his soul.

I remember the time mine died, I had to send it to Sony, it took them 2 months to replace it. This was right when i got Socom 2 as well and so desperatly wanted to play it. Worst 2 months of my life.

Ive seen the slim Ps2, its nothing to go crazy over, its incrediably small and really built to be put in cars. One drawback i noticed, no automatic opening tray. Its a pop open like PS1.

5. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    From what I understand, the cooling fans fail on the new slim model. Most people just replace it with better fan from a a PC laptop. I checked Wal-Mart but they won't just sell the basic unit. Its bundle packed with memory cards, games, & one extra controller all for $200.00. I found someone in Dallas that repairs them but I haven't heard back from him yet. Not sure if it will be worth the cost of the repair but being without it this weekend without GT4 is a pain in the arse.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    OMG, that's horrible.

Will, a buddy of mine who is NOT mechanically or electronically inclined was able to fix the laser tracking problem using instructions he found (bought?) off the internet. I would think you could handle it, if he was able to.

7. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I first went over to Best Lie where I was regretfully told they have been sold out since August & have no clue (what else is new) when the shipment will be. Sony has just cut back on production. I then went over to Waldo Mart & bought a basic slim line, skinny mini unit for $149.99. (Plenty in stock btw) Thank God they were not trying to bundle pack them. My old unit will be sent to Irving for cleaning & repair after the repair tech gets back from vacation on the 20th. I figure it’s good to have two of them just in case one of them is going to travel.

8. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  9. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
  10. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
  11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Never been much of a video player, but went and bought GT4 and the Pro Force Driving wheel. Holy cow--I'm addicted!!!!! Question-- Does anyone make a reasonable priced cockpit. Can be made out of 2x4's for all I care. Sitting on the edge on my son's bed trying to drive and play is killing my back.
    Looking for an adjustable seat so a few of us can play. Something simple--Blueprints anyone??????

12. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
  13. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  14. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thanks alot. I think I will be getting the one from Bob Earl. Simple design and under $500. Unless anyone has some blueprints to build one myself?? Can't be that hard, just don't have a welder or metal tubing or a seat, etc.

15. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just ordered the seat setup from hyperdrive.com. I will let u guys know how it works out.

16. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  17. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #267 FarmerDave, Mar 14, 2005
    Well, it's not perfect, but here's my setup so far. Welded it up over the weekend. Didn't have the wheel with me when I was fabricating it in a friend's garage. I didn't account for the fact that the center of the wheel hub is a few inches above the clamping surface, so it's about 3 or 4 inches too tall, but I can cut it down easily next weekend. I need to strip it, degrease and use primer before I re-paint anyway.

It's better than the TV-dinner stand I've been using, but not as nice as one of the setups with an actual car seat.

12 feet of 1" square hollow steel tubing. Total cost $20, assuming you have access to a welder. And some rattlecan paint lying around.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Got my seat , so far so good. Not as strong as I had expected, but will do the job. And the seat could use more cushion, after 30 min. of playing ass started to hurt, no crude jokes it hurts from sitting.

19. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Robbie,

What did you end up getting? I'm building mine from angle aluminum I had lying around, with a Jeg's/Summit poly seat which should be delivered today.

Edit. Never mind, I read more......

20. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #270 WJHMH, Apr 23, 2005
  21. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Very nice! I like the design.

22. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Bump.

How many of you have seen the overhead video of the 350Z travelling along the entire Nurburging? It's live action video, I guess one of the cars they used in testing the game... I just finished all the professional races, and it appeared! It was a neat surprise. :)

23. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    yea I remember seeing that a while ago, its cool how incredible similar the track vs. game looks.

I just got done trying to beat the last mission with the SLR on the Ring, didnt get it...closest I got was 4 seconds, and that lap was damn near perferct :(

24. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
  25. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    ive been playing ridiculously lately but there is one race, the Gran Turismo championship at the bottom of professional races. I cant find a suitable car to use, help.