Only a few hours until Gran Turismo 4 !!! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Only a few hours until Gran Turismo 4 !!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by damcgee, Feb 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    whats your screen name on the zine?

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    The Ford GT in this game sucks! What a dissapointment... I like my SL55AMG with the racing intake/exhaust... THAT is what the SL55AMG sounds like in real life.

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I like my 700 HP M5, and my 500 HP M3, and my Delorean.

4. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    same.

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    WOO HOO!
    and that's an understatement.

I (finally) bought the PS2 and GT4 and DLP. Had to take a break to stretch my legs.

If you don't think this game is fun, you need to check your pulse. Or pull your underwear out of your buttcrack. :D

6. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    I got my game yesterday and I love this thing...its amazing. When you do the rally races, the people look so real lol

Antony

7. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
  8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Anybody who has criticism for GT4 leads me to believe that there is no driving game in existence that would satisfy.

I got my Super License yesterday!

9. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    lol, sorry steve.

10. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    The gearstick looks a little high there and it is on the wrong side, but that looks an amazing setup.

11. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Just picked it up to play on my friend's PS2 tomorrow. Can't wait...

12. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #237 FarmerDave, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    lol, Steve quoted a post I had to delete because the files were too big... here it is as it was meant to be...

Here's a couple of simple "cockpit" setups that I found on race sim central. I like them both, #1 is simple but probably heavy, #2 is lighter (electrical conduit) but much more complicated. I still haven't found a good setup for my DLP so I'm gonna make one this weekend (Will, wanna come play with the arc welder tomorrow? )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Well, it looks to be on the "right" side to this southern yank. :)

I use the buttons on the back of the wheel to shift gears anyway. The gear shifter is the weak link in that setup.

14. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Our Fabricator here and I are in the process of building a setup for me. I will post pics when done, but expect it to look like #2 in your pics with a karting seat instead.

R

15. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    Thats a very good review, Chevarri. But now im reluctant in buying it. I've been so busy with school and work that I haven't even had a chance to buy it but I've been getting all these second opinions from everyone but your opinion is the first I've heard that went over all the important and crucial attributes that define a TRUE driving simulator which you said GT4 lacked. I probably will still go out and buy it but Im sure it's probably not going to be the best racing sim like Project Gotham Racing 2 is.

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    PGR2 is more arcade than GT4.

17. Poweredbyme91

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    True, but what I care about is realism in both physics and handling. I do remember the first Gran Turismo having screwed physics; I'd cheat by taking the inside of a turn and crashing my opponent into the wall with little affect on me, like if I were a gigantic car-sized brick with some super sticky tires. I like to feel body roll and torque and every bit of the road which I think PGR2 did great. Maybe Im just picky though. A played a demo of Forza a while back and I really liked how that game felt, it reminded me alot of PGR2.

18. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I don't own an Xbox, and really I've been out of the gaming loop for quite a while, but I thought I had heard that you could finish a PGR race in first place, but still lose because you didn't have enough "style" points. Maybe that was just PGR 1, but I heard that was a miserable game with beautiful graphics.

Edit: And you can still do the slam-into-your-opponent-and-come-out-unscathed move in GT4. But if you have the self discipline to not to try to use this as a passing method, you'll never even notice that you can do it.

19. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My car is so fast i just blow by them all on the first straight. I never see them again. Thank God for the M3 CSL

20. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Thanks for the compliments on the write up. PGR2 is arcadey (not nearly as arcadey as the first) but it's a blast to drive in that game. The 355 is sweet, esp when it plops you into the game while your blasting down the street and you've got you stereo bumping :) The car sounds get an A+

hwyegr,

PGR1 is the the one you are talking about, the style point system called "kudos" gave it a large hamper on the driving aspect. A lot of the things were whacky on that game like driving on two wheels, etc. PGR2 is a lot more realistic, even though it's an arcadey racer. Much of what poweredbyme said is what makes it a fun racer.

21. Poweredbyme91

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    I loved the accuracy of the sound of the Porsche 911 GT1 on PGR2; you can hear the Turbo scream.

22. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    no crap, my bad.... good to meet ya though... its always cool when you meet people from other forums.

23. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Just gald we don't have 16 y.o. girls posting their pics over here!!!

/hijack over

24. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    if you're after something that is much closer to a driving simulation yet you can still get into without being a total simulator nerd, try Live For Speed. no, it's nothing to do with need for speed. it's still in development but still fully playable, is cheap, and has a huge online community. there's obviously better ones out there, but none that i've found (haven't looked in the last year) where you can just download and start playing within a few minutes, with this level of realism.

25. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    oh, and for those of you with some bank who want a decent simulator setup, check out Force Dynamics, if nothing else, download this video and dream, you'll like it. :)

rally school - 8mb