ONLY 90 YEARS AGO... | FerrariChat

ONLY 90 YEARS AGO...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by gtjoey, Sep 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    75percent of all Americans main source of transportation was a horse.......
    Being present at Amelia Island , it was only 4 years ago at the gala dinner the heads of Mercedes, Bentley, Audi and all the rest present explained how in ten years, the complete product line would be electric , with exception to large trucks and old people such as I.
    We who enjoy our gasoline engine will have options, we will be caretakers till our end.
    A Ferrari an Aston and just a handful of other exotics will exist with Shell mailing you five gallon containers of gas for ten times todays prices.
    Why, its like owning a polo pony, its for the rich or hobbyist.
    No one else will care.
    Now with the mission e on the way or the new teslar and so many others , the hand writing is on the wall.
    Banning petrol cars in Europe is only the beginning AND it wont even be that long.
    A Porsche that goes 155 miles per hour, 0 to 60 in 3,6 seconds at 85 grand AND charges in 15 minutes in a wall outlet!
    In two more years the battery will go to 600 miles, one 15 minute charge from New York to Florida.
    When that comes the gasoline engine is dead.
    Why this post? as I watch the auctions, the numbers are tanking and the interest to 45 year olds and below is minus zero.
    I'm enjoying so many more cars, but I know we are the last.
    I picked up my 56 t bird which was fully restored for 30 grand!
    The owner DIED.
    Sound familiar?
    I'm having fun, but as a blue chip, no more....My McLaren will be driven, I'm driving my e type more and more. My Ford gt around the world and my aston to Alaska and back.
    The windup?
    Drive on my friends, nothing lasts forever, but the gasoline engine is even less.
    P.S. cant wait for the dino to tank to 50 grand, id blow it up on the highway, its all going to be a paper weight.
    Anyone took a horse to work today?
    Their Model T?
    GTJOEY1314

2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think it may well be worse for petrolheads. I believe the future beyond soulless electric cars will be an Uber one. I mean you will get up in the morning for work and assuming you actually leave your home you will call an autonomous Uber type cab and be chauffeured to work by it where the next commuter will ask for it.

I only hope that perhaps at weekends they might let us out in our classics and exotics.

3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That's literally the most depressing post I've ever read.

I'm 31. The thought of not hammering down a backroad at full clip just makes me shudder. Leaves blow past as I down shift into 3rd, screaming through the corner. The grin is always there. Peppering the throttle, up into 4th, and the car plants and sticks, Webers screaming at the back of my head, I push harder, and I am free.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah sorry, but battery technology has not improved that much and will not in the near future. It will and always will be their rate limiting step toward replacing the internal combustion engine.

I also don't understand the deal with some thinking electric cars are not bad for the environment. Creating new cars regardless if electric or gasoline powered are bad for the environment and building a battery is not a clean process at all. Then you need the electricity to power the thing, which of course is not without waste either (coal or natural gas powerplants). It's all hype and marketing...Tesla doesn't make a profit. It's very wasteful for people to lease cars every 3 years and get a new one rather than having the same car for 15-20 years.

Mass transit has a more likely future than making all cars electric and even that I think is not likely. Hybrids will be the future....go into electric mode when within city limits and gasoline mode when not. Get the best of both worlds as purely gasoline and purely electric are inferior.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Cars today are already souless. Computers on wheels. Don't repair them, recycled them for your pleasure.

In the future you won't even own a car. You'll rent it by the minute and it will drive you where you want to go while you text your friends on your phone

The end is not near. It's already here. You just don't see it.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    YIKES, I wonder what effect this will have on the Collector car market..
    Will the 5 super ferrari's go up or down.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Those cars don't get used and are only looked at so they shouldn't be affected at all. :) If anything, they will probably go up in value as no other supercars would be made if that were to be the future. ;)

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Too slow and boring. Such dire predictions. If you live in a big city you have a lot more issues than electric vehicles.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    "A Porsche that goes 155 miles per hour, 0 to 60 in 3,6 seconds at 85 grand AND charges in 15 minutes in a wall outlet!
    In two more years the battery will go to 600 miles, one 15 minute charge from New York to Florida."

There are a couple things with these statements I'd like to point out as not going to happen anytime soon.

The amount of energy spent to move a car 600 miles (even if the car is 100% efficient at converting that stored energy to mechanical energy) is not able to be transmitted through a wall outlet within 15 minutes. The amount of energy you can draw from home in 15 minutes is nowhere near the amount required to drive 600 miles.

Tesla Supercharing stations provide 480V at 250amps (which are both very very high). To travel 600 miles, it would take 2 hours of supercharging as you'd need 2 full recharges. There is no way that will be made 8x faster...and from home at that. No wall outlet will ever provide that and especially not in the next few years from a Tesla station. Physics simply won't allow it to happen.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Electric is here. I'm about to throw a deposit on the Porsche. Delivery is 2019. So far 5 of my customers have secured their electric Porsche. Honestly I can't wait. The gas car is a rolling environmental disaster. Electric has it's costs swell, but far far less. Thinks about all the items that just one car ice car needs to just drive down the road. Think of each end every company that needs to make parts for it, spark plugs, oil filters, air filters, transmissions, coolant, oil, steering fluid, etc..not think of the environmental damage just those companies make manufacturing those parts..now eliminate it.

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The awesome buzz of an electric motor will be amazing :)... No thank you other than on a gas based hybrid. As already talked about producing batteries for high powered vehicles causes more pollution than driving a gas car for many years.... Sorry but they are making a mistake. A mix of hybrid gas/electric/hydrogen(and maybe something else they come up with) vehicles will be the future, not just electric. Tesla will be gone in 15 years or less.

MalcQV likes this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Manufacturing electric cars is worse for the environment than ICE. The gains they speak of come years later after use and depend on what provides that electricity to charge the batteries. FWIW, electric cars have coolant for their batteries as well as other items that require manufacturing and replacement. It's not like it has no moving parts or need for maintenance.

If people really gave a damn about the environment, there would be a complete ban on new car production and old cars would have to switch to 100% ethanol made from cellulosic material (miscanthus and switchgrass). They are net negative carbon emissions and provide multiple folds more energy from start to finish than emitted unlike other forms of fuel (corn-based ethanol is not nearly as good).

Of course that will never fly...people want brand new shiny cars on cheap leases every 3 years that run on cheap gasoline.

MalcQV likes this.
  13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    This.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Don't just look at the car..look at EVERYTHING that goes into it. Think about all the stuff you DONT need in an electric vehicals as apposed to gas..now remove the companies and waste those said companies dispose of every year.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

... it's what you DO need in electric VEHICLES as OPPOSED to gas...

Batteries that take such a heavy environmental toll... sort of trumps what you don't need...