On Track at VIR: 29 April - 1 May 2005 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

On Track at VIR: 29 April - 1 May 2005

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by resnow, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    No, sadly it failed its tech inspection, and from what I heard the engine was on its way back to italy... it made me sad when I heard that... but then I rebounded pretty quickly when I heard that it was my turn to go out on the track again.

Yes, great pictures Dean. You are really good at those moving shots. I see I made it on page 5, in the silver 360 with the plastic on the front... my brother is in the Mas w/ the blue helmet. Cool.

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    For a newcomer to VIR, what an awesome track! They say heaven has streets paved of gold, well, I prefer the ashphalt and grass of VIR!!

...and great job Bob Snow and the rest of the crew who put this together. Why don't we do this once a quarter, or at least bi-annually?

Finally, I am so glad that first straight extended a ways past the cones!!!

3. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    haha...once per quarter....J David you are a funny guy =-)

Way to much behind the scenes work for once per quarter, but we are trying to get another event on the schedule so we can have 2 FCA-NC track events per year!

Ciao'

Steve

4. eclipse185

eclipse185 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    Yee Ha! Sounds like you need better brakes, oh, and how about tires while you are at it.

Add my Kudos to yours about Bob Snow, Steve Jones, Steve Barney and all the others that did such a great job getting ready for and executing this event. Absolutely FANTASTIC!

If you want more of VIR there is a Mazda event June 18th and 19th on the Grand East course. That one is 4.2 miles of pure heaven. You will need good tires and brakes. I will be there with the Maserati on track. The 360 Spider may be there for parade laps. Also VIR has a club that gets a weekend each month, or something like that to drive at the track as well. If you didn't see any information on that (I did not) you can find it on the web site.

Rob

5. zoom

zoom Rookie

Dec 15, 2003
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Speaking of brakes, with the addition of a few ounces of brake fluid from Rob's rolling garage, I was able to get back on track for Sunday. Thanks Rob! One more thing to add to the checklist for next time.

I'll also add my thanks to all those involved in the behind the scenes effort to put this together. This is our 3rd year and we're ready for #4. Great group of folks, wonderful car club and an exciting venue at VIR. What could be better? Perhaps the Grand East course in June?

Kevin

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Kevin - I wish I'd known you were out. We had a bunch of ATE Super Blue and Mobil1 5w20 at the Ricambi tent if anybody was running low.

resnow and I were on the Grand Course in November in our 348's. It was brutally long for a novice, and difficult to remember all the turns/twists/lines. By the time you make it around one lap, you're getting almost too exhausted to remember what's ahead of you. Having said that, it was still pretty rockin.

Call me crazy, but if the course is around $7000 a day, why not just get a bunch of us folks together and we'll all pop $500 or so. We'd hit the numbers pretty quick, right? Or, is my "estimate" of VIR fees a bit low?

-Daniel

7. laxplayer98

laxplayer98 Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Neill
    Man that was a ton of fun this weekend. Just to let you guys know I am only fourteen and if anybody saw the blue E320 driving around the track on Sunday during the parade laps that was my dad and me and my friends. Heres the pics I took at the event. http://supercarfreak.net/gallery/album1248?page=4

8. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #58 bruceski3, May 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yea remind me next time just in case to buy some "Depends". LOL jk. Eddie was a pretty good driver I thought and pretty much passed everyone except the Murcielogo which flew past us on the straightaway. The Oak Tree Corner is a HARD corner that will bite ya if your not careful. I know I was in the 550 running behind a 328 when we saw it got loose in Turn 10 and spun around in front of us. I think that was the scary part of the whole ride. I could feel the 348 CH and the 550 get a bit sideways thru the ride. Not too sideways but just enough to loose traction for a sec.
    I grabbed a cookie with the owner of the Enzo at the Sport Auto booth and talked about his car for a while and what happened to it. Looks like it might be out of service for a while but we will see.
    I met a girl on Saturday night in Gboro at a house get together (party) and didn't get to bed till 3am. Woke up at 6am and tried to get her out of bed to go with me but she just rolled over and went back to bed. I made it in pretty good time to the Gates at around 7am before everyone else got there and helped a few ppl unload there cars and start em up.
    Also I own a Honda Civic myself but Whew I got nightmares looking at that weird green thing with the Lambo Doors. I just kept my mouth shut and enjoyed the sunny day.
    Well here are a few pics I took and I will upload the rest of them. The computer I have is wayyyyy too slow to upload them since I have to resize everyone of them and load them one by one. I think I took around 200 pictures and Videos. I have a full video of the 550 doing a full lap around the track. I will have to host it up in the next couple of days though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

DUDE!! Why didn't you introduce yourself??? I was ahead of you during the parade lap in my 348. I would have HAPPILY given you a ride on the track. If you're around during some sunny weekend, give me a shout and we'll go for a spin (not literally).

-Daniel

10. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    thanks for the calls to rub it in that you went Bruce ;) haha

11. cosmosblk

cosmosblk Rookie

May 2, 2005
    Summerfield
    Full Name:
    Ken Wood
    I wanted to say thanks to Steve Barney and the crew for allowing me to join in even though I drive a German car. This weekend was one of the most fun weekends of my life. I am completely hooked on driving the track and mailed in my application to BMW Driving school today. I learned a lot about driving and a lot about just what my car will and won't do. Also thanks to Robert M for the invite and spirited ride, Kevin for the driving advise, John for the ride in the "Bull" and all those that welcomed me for the weekend.

Ken

12. zoom

zoom Rookie

Dec 15, 2003
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin

Daniel - Thanks. Next time I will know, although next time I'll be better prepared. :)

I don't know about the cost of renting the track and if it includes corner workers, rescue, etc. Maybe N24RE would have an idea? Even if it's not the Grand East course, any day at the track is a good day!

Kevin

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I called and asked, the price quoted was in around 5,100. Look up the website and call. They are very helpful.

14. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

including corner workers?

15. laxplayer98

laxplayer98 Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Neill
    I thought I recognized your car. I remember seeing it at FCI a while back. Don't worry I'll introduce myself next time I see you. BTW I have a fourty second video from the car of you driving, as soon as I find a place to host it I send the link to you.

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Bob Snow will have a breakdown of all the costs since he helped organize last weekend.

17. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    As far as costs go the south course was 6 grand per day if I remember correctly.
    The base price gets you the track plus the basic elements you need to make it work.

extra corner workers, ems,tow truck etc. are addtional.

We ( SportAuto ) are planing on renting the full course latter in the year (fall) on a Monday or Friday

ciao'

Steve Jones

18. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Sweet!! Will the fine Mr. Hooper be there? We have to settle a score about teutonic engineering. (He's such an easy prey)

19. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    #69 resnow, May 3, 2005
    fyi, it's a bit more complicated than you might think. See attached .doc file.

res

ps - sorry for a few typos - blame it on my scanner/OCR software

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Please advoid the French Quater Claissic dates if at all possible. I think some of us who would like to visit VIR again may go to the FCQ, which I believe is in November. Also, the Petit LeMans is this fall, another great event.

21. DMClark

DMClark Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dean Clark
    If something else is done in the fall, I will definitely be there. Hopefully with a press pass from VIR this time so I don't get yelled at for standing beside the concrete barriers between the pit and the track.

22. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Now Dean....I didn't yell at you...I just didn't want you to get hit in the head by flying Ferrari parts. Problem is that if we let one person stand there, before long you will have 30...then I nor Kevin can see the track.Still you took some great photos from the observation tower...very nice job!

As a note you should be able to contact Jean Wilkins @ VIR and she can get you in touch with the proper folks so you can get that pass.

Ciao'

Steve Jones

23. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #73 bruceski3, May 4, 2005
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Weekends to avoid:
    Oct. 1 - Petit LeMans
    Oct. 8 - Atlanta Italian Car Day (worth the trip!)
    Oct. 15 - EuroFest at BMW
    Oct. 22 - Possible SVRA vintage races at Road Atlanta
    Nov. 5 - Ferrari French Quarter Classic

25. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Nice coverage by Bob Snow with photo in the Prancing Horse magazine that just came out (page 37)!!