Old vs New Ferrari Build Quality | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Old vs New Ferrari Build Quality

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Booker, Apr 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 360 is a great car..a few expensive follies, but over all not much really goes wrong with a six speed.

The 328 was a great car..honestly the damn things are like an old Benz..they just refuse not to run. I have never seen a catastrophic failure of epic proportions on a 328 that wasn't driver induced.

Electrical..ok..a bugger..but the damn things just don't die. Great cars..and extremely impressive considering little of them they built. Just compaire the door shut on a 328 vs a 360..the 328..closes like a bank vault..the 360 rattles for a week. Maybe has somthing to do with the steel vs aluminum construction..but there is a big difference in over all fell between the 2.

Themaven likes this.
  2. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena

Hi Ross- I'm interested in a 512TR at McLaren Scottsdale, a Canadian car w/service done, has emissions/epa sticker for CA. Is there anything I should be aware regarding these types of 512TR's? If purchased will be registering in CA.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The two that I’ve encountered both had electrical gremlins and the one had a CIS issue that led to the starting. Both issues I’ve encountered with my 928 and are fun to diagnose! Both are ok if you drive it often, but the modern cars (mine is manual 360) are also reliable if you drive them. The overall impression that it just has a classic (read “old”) feel to it. I attribute that door feel to the aluminum. And rattle? Hunh? No rattle on mine.. Same with the engine bonnet... 328 steel Closes heavy but still not as solid as closing the engine lid to my 997. FWIW I would love to see a 3xx era car that has tan carpets that don’t look “dirty” :) Then again, they’re usually at the end of any Driving lineup. I find interior quality and overall component quality better on the newer cars. For the overall car I still think they’re vastly overpriced...

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    lots of things to look for.
    go into that section on here and have a look round.
    as ever, maintenance is key, so look for good records on that. would be helpful to be able to speak to the previous owner too.
    at least with a canadian car you wont have those aggravating mousebelts !

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This thread got me thinking about my choices. It is well know around here I was chasing down 308's all the way back in grade school. Literally. When my time came I had to choose between carbs or FI.

I was terrified of the carbs. I had no idea how to turn a screwdriver on one and all I knew then was what I observed as a child and how cantankerous they seemed to be on a cold start and especially on a cold morning (it was the late 70's)

My first car and the only one I really drove every day for 15 years (and still have) has K Jetronic. I had ZERO problems with that system. And when I say zero I mean absolute zero. Nothing EVER broke with it. I think the only thing I ever did was change the o rings on the injectors. Once, probably in 1988 and that was only because I read in VW/Porsche magazine they would harden up and leak air or something. I just did it to do it.

So I felt most comfortable with the FI.

But before i got my QV, I drove Ric Schumann's (FAF in Atlanta) euro 78 GTS. It was smooth as silk and to this day is the best sounding 308 I have ever heard. I have not yet come across another one that produces the sounds his made.

Anyway, all I can think about now is owning a carbed 308. If the person I am now was looking when I did at 28, I would have never bothered giving a second glance at anything after 1979.

Funny how you change when you get older.

Dane and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have an 05 VW Touareg that I wont touch parts of it anymore unless I absolutely have to. Like chewing gum.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    And the K Jet on my 84 QV has been as reliable as the one on my first car.

And my 308 is closing in on 130,000 miles now.

Dane, tbakowsky and AlfistaPortoghese like this.