"Old School question" Points or electronic ignition ? | FerrariChat

"Old School question" Points or electronic ignition ?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Arvin Grajau, Oct 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    If I have an old car on points that's ok if i have an old car on electronic ignition that's ok.i don't change them to either type of system .

I had a failure last year in Tasmania at the Derwent bridge lake St Clair ,car back firing and running rough ,points had closed up but turned to be a failed coil.
    Old school mechanics prefer points as they will tell you 9/10 times they will get the car going ,where as electronic ignition failure often means a flat top.

What do you prefer and why?

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    ... a reliable car

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    On a car that came with points...points. You can keep a set of points, a condenser and a ballast resistor in the glove box along with a feeler gauge and pretty much get yourself out of trouble 9 times out of ten. The only reason to go to electronic ignition is if you are getting points bounce at high revs, but the old bangers rarely have that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjlloyd and Arvin Grajau like this.
  4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I think my new old car has a couple of sticks that rub together.

5. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #5 Arvin Grajau, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    agree and a coil which I did not have .
    We were in very cold conditions ,friend had a ballast resistor and we opened up the points but to no avail .

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I converted the Daytona to electronic because it's the only way to solve fouled plugs forever.

I wanted to keep the Vette original in engine bay appearance but as soon as I fitted a higher lift / longer duration cam, there wasn't enough spark to ignite all the fuel when I stomped on the accelerator, resulting in a giant flat spot and huge backfire from unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Installed a Pertonix unit inside the distributor plus a 40K coil and the problem was instantly fixed. I carry the points and condensor in the glovebox in the unlikely event the Pertronix fails.

Also, electronic allows a much wider plug gap, so you get more complete combustion, meaning the exhaust isn't quite so stinky. You wouldn't survive 2 minutes in a closed garage with an idling Daytona...

7. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My brother's Dino is much better, and the way he did it it can't be picked at a concourse.

Mind you if they can't tell if it's a GT or a GTS then whom cares?

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    He should just enter it into the Studebaker comp

9. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Ian , electronic ignition will only solve fouled plugs if the car is tuned correct? Which I'd suggest you already know.

The V8 Rolls Royce cars that runs 2 inch SUs ,prefer electronic ignition the favoured one in the 70s was Lumanition .brand.

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I want it noted for the record that I refrained from commenting on your much wider plug gap...

Maranello550, IanB and Gizzi like this.
  11. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    You’re right mate and no argument there, but you’re talking about a modified engine and carb. Electronic ignition is miles BETTER than points, but most of the aftermarket kits I’ve seen are absolute rubbish. I knew a guy who used to make up electronic igniter kits for points systems where you retained the points as the trigger but the coil was fired by the electronic igniter. It was great because the points no longer had any load on them and would never wear out and you were able to adjust the dwell via a pot on his unit. You didn’t have to change the dizzy, only the coil to an EFI unit, which gave you enormous spark and all of the efficiency of an EI system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IanB likes this.
  12. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Have you scene the unit that allows you to tune with your iphone?

13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Noted and seconded :p

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Agreed. However I think modern petrol has more additives that cause build up on spark plugs and needs a stronger spark to keep them clean.

My workshop landlord has a steady business now removing heads and blasting inlet ports with almond shell, on ordinary cars that have done 100K of city driving. TFSI Audi/VW's seem very prone to build up.