Old pre war bugatti question: magnesium body | FerrariChat

Old pre war bugatti question: magnesium body

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by bitzman, Dec 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    At Monterey, I heard there was a Type 57S Torpedo Competition Bugatti car, a new shorter and lower chassis with a super-light-weight body. that was originally shown at the Paris Auto Salon in 1935. It has an alloy body not of aluminum but magnesium.
    That material may have been called Elektron then.
    My question is does anyone have any catalog of that show that shows the car? Does it give a chassis number ?
    Also this is probably a metal body expert only question but if you had the body panels off, using pre WWII technology, would it have been possible back in say 1939 to strength-test the body panels (already formed for the body) and come up with figures that prove it a superior material to aluminum? This was pre-computer age so I don't know how they strength tested already formed body panels back then.

I like the lightness of magnesium but it makes me nervous that it burns though it probably takes a pretty high temp to light it off. Ironcially some Detroit automaker was saying the other day that in their 2014 model they will have a magnesium dashboard support.

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I meant new in 1935
    I meant catalog to 1935 show.
    Thanks

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Is this a restoration or a recreation?
    http://www.philreillycompany.com/Cars/bugatti2.html

Either way, the original car was shown only once at the October Paris Salon, never sold.

Of course, the Atlantique bodies were originally intended to be magnesium, which is why they have a riveted design, but were actually executed in aluminum.

Matt

4. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
  5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ......beyond awesome.......