Oklahoma Thunder charter jet hits a "bird"! | FerrariChat

Oklahoma Thunder charter jet hits a "bird"!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Matt LaMotte, Oct 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I'm thinking it was probably a Pterodactyl.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That looks really bad. Could the windshield sustain a hit had it been higher?

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    An adult goose would and could do that. Chickens have been fired into test windshields to verify strength. Don't know if they have done it with geese.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that I may have mentioned this before but a Boeing test pilot friend of mine overtook a goose at 7000ft. at night in IFR conditions west of Florence, Oregon. He was flying a C206 and fortunately it didn't damage the propeller but put a huge dent in the cowling. You never know where or when you will find these things.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sandhill Cranes are another possibility. We could see them on our F-111 radars when they would migrate. Very large birds in very large flocks.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remembered a story about windshield tests where a firm in the UK fired a chicken THROUGH the windshield and questioned their design. They had failed to thaw the bird from its frozen condition and it was an effective artillery shell.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Never was sure whether that was a joke or not.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can't verify it now but it was a topic of conversation at work some years back. A 10-12 pound goose can do some awesome damage at 600mph.

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    A goose can do some awesome damage on the ground. as well. A Dash 8 hit one on a departure shattering a blade on the prop and taking out a passenger window. http://avherald.com/h?article=478ab28f&opt=0

10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    No blood - a drone?

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  12. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I saw a C310 that took a big bird in the nose on the ramp in Opa Locka. The pilot was a German student pilot building twin time in a rented plane. He was in the FBO bathroom washing off blood. I had to ask him what happened and he told me he hit a bird and the nose bent enough to allow the bird to squeeze in between the nose and surrounding sheet metal. Thus he was coated in bird parts.

I hit a flock of seagulls on departure back in 05. 3 million in damages. Both flaps, leading edge, #2 engine tear down (5 or 6 blades IIRC) and sheet metal work by the co pilots feet. The #1 AOA still had feathers wrapped around it when we landed.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Someone better check on Khaleesi's Dragons…

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The ramp is wet in the photo so if the plane came in through a shower there is a good chance that the rain pressure washed the nose cone.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Amazing what a bird strike can do. Hit a Plover (actually several) during a low level in Turkey at around 540 knots. Punched a hole completely through an aluminum slat. Slat did not work so flaps locked out. No flap, no slat at about 190 knots, but long runway (10k') so no sweat. Hit birds two days in a row. Crew chief asked us to please no fly her airplane any more.

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Could have been worse Taz.

http://www.usahas.com/AHAS2015/gallery/image.aspx?image=F111%20Bird%20Strike

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, looks like somebody finally hit Hank the Hawk on that low level route west of Cannon AFB. We saw him just about every time we flew that route, usually as he was diving to get out of our way. Or they hit a Sandhill Crane, whose migration route goes up and down through New Mexico.

18. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    As a schoolboy I went on a trip to the NGTE (National Gas Turbine Establishment), where they were testing Olympus engines for Concord. One test involved firing large chicken carcasses into the air intakes with an improvised catapult. The engines were not running during our visit but I was always curious if they sustained any serious damage. The engines that is!