Ok...What's all the fuss over finding a PS3 or Wii again? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ok...What's all the fuss over finding a PS3 or Wii again?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by David_S, Dec 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    Whatever, the PS3 rocks. But I'm sure saying is sucks makes him feel better.

John

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Sony doesn't either - but thats the problem, the people buying them don't seem to agree.

The Wii has been more in-demand than the PS3. The PS3 is expensive, and not as much a fun gaming experience in many ways as the PS3 is.

3. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    They're both about equally in demand despite the ps3 costing 3 times as much. Plus the ps3 isn't even fully launched yet. Wait till March when it gets released in Europe with a bunch of new titles.

It's still the very beginning so early numbers don't really mean a thing regardless. We'll see which system has legs. First year sales is almost pointless. Ps2 is still outselling xbox360 and wiis and it's 7 yrs old. I think the wii is great and it will probably sell really well but I believe the novelty will wear off in time. I predict Ps3 easily sells the most consoles out of the 3. But we'll see...

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Kind of funny how many people are stuck with PS3's on Ebay that didn't sell during Christmas.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yep -- and Craigslist is full of them too.

6. avalys

avalys Karting

May 26, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Alex Valys
    No, I don't play video games. I just know a loser when I see one.

7. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    Playstation has boring titles, with an old gaming concept. The 360 is something special. Great titles, interface, interaction, etc. Remember, it's not the power of the car, but the experience when driving it.

8. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Dude Sony has waaaay better titles than Microsoft overall, it's not even close. If you're referring to ps3 though then you're right since they're new and have very limited titles at the present time. If you're referring to Sony in general then it's no contest. Only exclusives that Microsoft has is Gears and Halo.

As for interfaces, I like ps3s main menu interface better than xboxs. Xbox live is superior though but it should be since you gotta pay for it and sony is free.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    That's interesting..........

The PS2 I put in the guest room after I got it.. Only played it a few times.

Though, when I played the Xbox360 I continued to play it. I'm not a big gamer and don't play often, but I just gravitated to the 360.

PGR, TDU, Madden

10. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The PS3 doesn't cost 3 times as much, and I don't agree they are in equal demand. If you look on eBay at actual selling prices, the Wii's go for a higher % premium than the PS3's do. When you factor in the uber-hype of the PS3 as well as the fact that supplies are much more limited, this is an important point. As for the PS3 "not being fully launched" - thats nonsense. Either a system is launched or it is not. Sony pushed the PS3 out early because they were essentially forced to. It was delayed numerous times so the developers have had plenty time to produce the games for it.

Also, whenever I have talked to folks looking for consoles or been at stores and talked to managers, the story is the same - the Wii is the one folks are trying to get, and PS3's are in more plentiful supply. Walmart in NH last week told me they took most of a day to sell 16 PS3's that came in but they had more people waiting in the store than the 20 Wii's they got in. And that was pre-Xmas. It's not like sales are going to skyrocket from here on out.

I also disagree about first year sales. First year sales are a critical number for a game console. It's not like PS3 sales are suddenly going to just go through the roof. The three are out now... Wii is the lowest price, has the most unique and innovative gameplay. PS3 has arguably the most processing HP over XBOX, but the XBOX has over a year head-start.

I will pick up a PS3 for the new F1 game, but beyond that I don't care about it too much. The Wii is a must-have for anyone that entertains friends or family. The XBOX is the one most people will probably have the most fun with, due to the combination of online gaming, the price, the quantity of games and the existing market penetration.

I just don't see Sony offering a compelling alternative at a compelling price point over the others. And Sony doesn't have the room to discount the PS3. If sales stagnate, they are in deep doo-doo.

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
  12. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I'm talking retail, the ps3 is more expensive (2.5 times as much as a Wii). Wii is very cheap in comparision so it's much easier to sell. As for ebay, yea wii is currently going for a higher premium at the moment. That's because they're cheap, it's xmas and ps3 flooded the ebay market uber hard. Not to mention Sony has been flooding stores with massive shipments. The wii has sold 2 million consoles so far and ps3 has sold 1 million and it hasn't even launched in Europe yet while the Wii has.

Who cares how long it stays on the shelf for. Both systems sell every unit by the end of the day so it doesn't really mean anything. It's Christmas time, Wii is much cheaper, had lots of great press, and has a new gimmick controller that draws in the curious crowds like any other novelty that just came out.

First year is semi-important. I meant that launch numbers are pointless and that's what we're talking about here. It's like declaring a winner in the 1st qtr of a football game. Anything can happen at this point.

Also, I do think ps3 sales will go flying eventually. Once the new titles for the Europe launch come out in March it should start moving. Then eventually when a price drop occurs it will really fly. Look at ps1 and ps2, they both sold over 100 million consoles each and had amazing legs. Ps2 outsold 360 for xmas this year and it's 7 years old. Can nintendo last more than 2 years with the wii? N64 and cube both launched great but crumbled hard.

Also think about everyone that currently has ps2. Eventually they're gonna trade up for a ps3 so they can play next-gen titles along with their old favs from ps2. That's huge right there. They did some poll that said 60% of ps2 owners will eventually get a ps3. That's 60 million consoles.

The wii is the best party system. I agree with that. Any noob can pick up the wiimote and throw it down and have a good time. It has a great niche with the casual gamers and for luring in non-gamers. It should do well. XBOX is a good system too no doubt but I think they're gonna come in last. They just don't sell very well. They totally got crushed in Japan already by ps3. I really see Sony putting the hammer down though with their 2nd gen titles and with devolpers utilizing the hardware, the motion sensing controller, etc... Ps3 has so much potential people don't realize it because there's so much hating and bad press going on about it.

Right now as of launch Sony isn't offering anything great. They have one killer app ('Resistance' which is friggin awesome btw) and the rest of the titles are ports that have already been released on the 360. So at the moment it isn't anything special. It will be though, just wait for all the Sony exclusive titles to come out.

As for the pricing, yea 360 is cheaper but you get so much more from the ps3. Ps3 really is the better deal if you utilize everything it has to offer. To get the 360 to level of ps3 you gotta add the $200 hd dvd drive on top of the $400 for the 360 then wifi is another $100 then xbox live $50 a year for 4 years (avg console lifespan). That's $900 and you're still short 40 gigs of Hard-drive space compared to the ps3.

13. j3hff

j3hff Karting

Nov 13, 2005
    the 360 is a failure.. many problems with over heating and ive noticed lag with mine and my friends.. i did get the ps3, i love it, it is so amazingly quick and the games it came out with upon launch are as good as any out by the 360 right now.. keep in mind the 360 has been out ofr a year and the ps3 has just gotten started.. lol cant wait tilla ll the good games start rollin out.. then all the 360 fan boys (which i used to be) will have to whipe away they're tears and go buy a ps3

14. j3hff

j3hff Karting

Nov 13, 2005
    ppl only want the wii becuase its cheaper and any moron can play it whereas it takes some skill to play games that either the 360 or the ps3 come out wiht

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Uhhhh

What is a Wii ? IS that some version of a PS3?

How does the PS3 compare to the Xbox 360?

Terry

16. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Not quite - Nintendo makes a line of competing products to the Playstation and Playstation Portable called GameCube and Nintendo DS. the GameCube has just been redone and is now called Wii (as in "We"). appeals to the casual gamers and kids. My kids would rather play on the GameCube games than the Playstation or PC stuff that's much more modern technology.

With the PS3 being so new, there aren't that many games out for it, and those that are out are just starting to figure out how to use some of the computing power available. I'm guessing six months before it becomes more mainstream.

Personally, I think we'll be seeing a respun xbox in late '07 - following the PC hardware philosophy, but who knows.

The discussions of PS3 and Wii are rather academic up here in Vancouver - we haven't been able to get either since they were released.

Technology and price wise, Wii is by the simplest and cheapest, XBox is 2x the price and much more advanced, and the PS3 is 2.5x the price of the Wii and the most advanced.

The big grab of the Wii is it's use of a motion sense controller - so to play Tennis you swing the controller like a raquet. Or bowl in bowling... supposedly very intuitive and easy to pickup.

17. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Very insightful post - are you a business analyst by chance?

Microsoft may disagree about the XBOX being a failure, as may Sony. XBOX360 has sold over 9 million units so far - around 3 million since the beginning of November. In that same time period, the Wii has sold close to 2 million units and the PS3 is around 800k units.

I never understand why people champion one system over another. I have a Wii. I also have an XBOX360. I will get a PS3, maybe soon or maybe I'll wait until the F1 game comes out. I don't make ridiculous statements like saying the leading seller is a failure, I have my opinions that are based on my experiences with the systems.

The nerds on the other hand seem to prefer to argue specs? Is it because they can't afford to buy all three systems so they must stroke their ego and say only one is a good system? I really don't get it. The Wii is compelling because of the gameplay. The XBOX has a great selection of games. What is it about the PS3 that is so compelling? It's not the price. It's not the gameplay. The specs are perhaps marginally better than the XBOX - so where's the rest? I'm also not sure about the statement that "devs are just now figuring it out" - huh? They have had systems for >1 year now, often much longer. The specs are well published, especially in the dev community. I'm not sure what is going to be 'figured out' that hasn't been yet. Some games drop to the sub 30-fps level as it is in some scenes, so if they are already maxing the thing out, what more is left? Gameplay can be improved and no doubt will be - but with a 1 year time advantage, the XBOX is going to be tough to catch. And Sony has not built a great rep in the dev community by being so hard-assed on how the PS3 must be R&D'ed for.

We shall see, of course, but with the info at hand, only a brand-zealot could possibly make a statement that any one system is the winner - especially to say it's the PS3, considering it's trailing it's competitors and losing ground, not gaining.

18. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I have all three. I like them all but I'm probably going to ditch the 360 eventually. The only thing 360 has over ps3 is Gears and Halo. Gears I already beat twice, it's awesome but way too short and online isn't the greatest. Wii has Zelda which is easily their best game. Wii sports gets played out after the first couple of hours but it's fun in the beginning, pretty weak replay value though. Rayman is the best game for Wii to play when you're drunk. It's super fun. Ps3 has Resistance which is the best online multiplayer I've played. I don't even need any other game for a couple months since the replay value is so good.

As for ps3s power, it takes a while for the devs to really figure out the system. Ps2 launch titles looked like total crap compared to the games that came out for it years later. Ps3 has lots of potential. The games are gonna look sick within the next 1 to 2 years. Motorstorm demo is pretty next gen looking, right there with gears of war and it's a launch demo. Wait for Kill Zone 2, GT5, Metal Gear... I think visually they will blow away the competition.

19. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You're referencing your personal preferences on games to make a point - but that just weakens the point. The 360 has vastly more choices for games than the PS3 or Wii does. The brand-specific games have become less of an issue since cross platform development became mainstream. This is especially true between the XBOX and PC platform. Many games are available for any platform, with the exception being mostly Nintendo who are very protective of their brands. There will be no Zelda or Metroid for anything but the Wii.

So, for whats available now, the 360 leads by far. For what will be available in the future, 360 will still lead. The PS2 had a much slimmer game library than the PS1 because Sony tightened up the publishing arrangements and was more picky. That has been done to an even greater extent with the PS3.

As for figuring out the system, the PS1 was very popular in part due to the fact that it was so easy to develop for. There were literally hundreds of games for it, even though many of them were no good. When the PS2 came out, a ton of publishers came on board and that meant some not-so-good games. With the PS3, Sony and many of the publishers have been pushing to extract the max from the system. I dont know what you base the idea that the devs have not "figured out the system" on but I do not agree. I had a PS2 development model and am quite familiar with the PS2 platform. I know a bit about the PS3 platform and I know that it's well documented. There is little or nothing that will be learned in coming months about the PS3 platform that is not known today. There will not likely be major changes that will increase performance beyond what was available at launch.

If anything, the Wii has the highest potential for new ideas, because there is a completely new interface model. Personally, I buy consoles for fun. I think Sony has made some serious mis-steps with the PS3 and I think they will pay for it. The only thing the PS3 has in it's corner is marginally (and arguably) better graphics than the 360. In my experience (which is 2 months and three family gatherings), the Wii gets significantly more playtime.

Again, I am not debating from a standpoint of which I personally prefer. Too many fanboys will chime in with how the gun models in shooter X are better than Y (yawn!). I'm talking about how the companies will do IMO relative to one another. From that standpoint, whether gears of war was completed twice is irrelevant. So is whether Rayman is fun to play drunk. The PS3 may end up being *my* favorite if the new F1 game is as good as some of the previous suggest. But in terms of market share, I do not see Sony easily catching Nintendo or Microsoft. The trends thus far do not support it and I don't see anything that's going to change in the near future to change it. I dont think the PS3 will ever be able to compete with the Wii for innovative gameplay and all out fun. The PS3 will also not be able to compete with the 360 for the breadth of the game library. It loses to both systems on price - which is a BIG factor (I wouldn't give my kid a $600 console). So what's left? Graphics, which it has an arguable lead over the 360, and exclusive titles which are much less of an issue in 07 than they were in 1994.

My .02

20. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ

As of now the 360 has way more titles, no doubt. They had a year head start. Sony has so many exclusives though that there is no way that 360 will be able to compete. Off the top of my head Tekken (biggest selling 3D fighting game), Gran Turismo (biggest selling racing game), Final Fantasy (biggest selling rpg), there's so many. xbox can't hang. Like I said, they have Gears and Halo but Sonys exclusives dwarf them in sales.

Sony will catch up and it's quality not quantity. People want Devil May Cry, Metal Gear, God of War, etc.. All the franchises that Sony built up during the ps1 and ps2 era will be in the ps3 library. Microsoft is lucky that they got Grand Theft Auto or they would've been totally screwed.

Most programmers will disagree with you. Check any dev interview that talks about the cell processor.

Wii has potential but we've probably already seen most of what it can do. We know how to swing a sword or a bat with it or shoot a gun. Devs will prob just implement these standard control formats from now on.

21. tl731

tl731 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2004
    Staten Island , NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas L.
    I am a fan of SRT Mike's posts.
    Just thought i would throw that out there.

Mike, PM coming in

22. mjcdriscoll

mjcdriscoll Karting

Jun 4, 2005
    Parker, CO
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The only reason I bought my 360 was for the Halo 3 game. However, Gears of War for me has made the 360 purchase worth it. I also received the HD DVD player for the 360 and compared the supplied copy of King Kong HD DVD to the regular DVD version I had. I played the regular version through my Denon progressive scan DVD player on my 110 inch infocus projection screen tv. There was a noticeable difference in picture quality for the HD DVD version (a significant increase in detail). The frustrating thing has been for me the fact that I had to buy other stuff to hook up to the 360 just to get it on a level playing field with the ps3 (that I received as a Christmas gift). I can't wait for Gran Turismo & the next Metal Gear game.

People who say that developers have had plenty of time to figure out the ps3 do not know what they are talking about. Pick up any real gaming magazine that has reviewed any system and the reviewer always states that you need to wait until the 2nd generation games come out to see the true possibilities of that system.

As well, the reason more wii's have been sold over the number of ps3's is due to two things. 1- it is a system for more people. For the most part all nintendo offereings are geared more towards kids and casual gamers. 2-it has shipped more units. Sony has had a hard time producing the blue laser diode.

Each game system is tailored to a certain group, with the 360 & ps3 more tailored to the hard core gamer. Only time will tell on which one wins, for now the 360 appears to be winning thanks to the 1 year head start over its competitors.

23. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Apparently Sony would disagree with you:
    http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_say_PS3_Games_using_50_of_Capability_none_will_use_100

In a recent interview Sony's Phil Harrisson stated that the current crop of PS3 games only utilize around 50 percent of the PS3's capabilities. Harrisson also claimed that no one will ever be able to use the full 100 percent, such is the power in the Playstation 3.

:)

24. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    The new Zelda for wii got a great reviews. It's one of the best games out on any system and everyone who played the game is totally into it. I just have to pick up a will so I can play this game.

25. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

So what generation are current X360 games?

RMX