488 - Oil spots under front trunk / firewall | FerrariChat

488 Oil spots under front trunk / firewall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Malcola, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Malcola

Malcola Rookie

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Malcola
    I backed my 2018 488 Spider with 2020 miles on it part way out of the garage to clean some bug splatter from the front bumper. I noticed for the first time several what appeared to be fresh oil spots ( black wet spots)under where the front trunk / firewall would be. To be honest I’ve never looked at this area in the garage because I pull out and go or pull in and it’s covered by the car. There were some dried stains in the same area but wether it was from the Ferrari or my previous Porsche’s IDK. I’ve scheduled an appointment to have the car seen at the dealer on Monday and sent them pictures but given it’s a mid engine car I’m curious what could cause this ?

2. Malcola

Malcola Rookie

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Malcola
    Follow up on taking my 488 Spider to dealer for “ oil spotting”: The dealer looked at the underside of the car and I believe removed the under protection panels. They found no oil leak or mechanical problem with the car. They said what they suspect happened and that they’ve seen before is that carbon as a result of combustion can get on the bottom of the car and that when the bottom of the car gets wet or is washed ( I spray underneath the car with my pressure washer when I wash the car)the carbon can mix with the water and drip off the underside of the car producing a black liquid. It seems to be a reasonable explanation.I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this but the next time I notice it I will get some on my finger or a cloth to be sure it doesn’t smell like gas or oil. I initially was concerned that perhaps it was related to the Fuel Vapor Separator issue after I got the safety recall notice. At this point in time case closed.

sampelligrino likes this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks for sharing, glad to hear it seems to be OK / normal