Oil pan / gasket | FerrariChat

Oil pan / gasket

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Sammi, Feb 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I was driving down Tropicana in Las Vegas, where they are doing construction on a building nearby.. and drove over a massive rock laying in the middle of the road. Pretty sure it ripped my oil pan right off. I’m towing my car to Italy service. I’m so frustrated by this! Should the construction company be responsible for this? Also what do you think this is going to set me back $$$$?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    YIKES!:eek:

3. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I cannot even get it into neutral to get it towed while the engine is off. I tried turning the key over without starting the engine and then pulling both paddle shifts simultaneously. Any other suggestions?

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    There is a tool in your tool kit with a handle that goes into the access panel in the floor of the trunk to manually put the gearbox into Nuetral. If needed the tool to manually release the parking brake is in the tool kit as well.

aepma and Sammi like this.
  5. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    That blows.....guessing cost will vary significantly based on how cleanly or not the pan came off. I am guessing it ripped the mounting bolts out of the block so could be some decent work. Tolerances down there are so precise so hopefully it was whole punched in the pan versus it being ripped off. I know you are newer to the community so hurts more when the car is new to you. I would absolutely go after the construction co but not sure about NV liable laws and how hard it would be to prove which sub was reasonable. I definitely feel for you

6. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I found it and was able to get it into neutral this way. Thank you for this advice!

aepma and SLViper1 like this.
  7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That is awful, hope you get it sorted soon!

Sammi likes this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Terrible to see. That's a comprehensive insurance claim all the way, though. Claim it on your insurance, and let them go after the construction company.

Sammi and aepma like this.
  9. DrStig

DrStig Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    Omg that is horrible. So sorry!!

Sammi likes this.
  10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Isn’t the insurance company’s job to go after the construction company??

SV

RamsHmb, Sammi and aepma like this.
  11. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    That’s terrible. Some people are so inconsiderate. I hope you (or your insurance company) are able to hold those responsible accountable.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sammi and alex like this.
  12. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    In regards to insurance, they said on public roadways I am liable unfortunately. Also would rather not have an accident recorded on this vehicle as it would depreciate the vehicles value even further. Not good when it comes time to resell. I will likely pay out of pocket and sue the construction company or try to negotiate something with them so I don’t have to.

Annoying part of this is - the foreman admitted the rock came from them, then when i wanted to record him saying that he refused to repeat it. (Of course lol)

13. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    What was the approximate diameter of the rock? Was it sitting in your lane or rolling across your path?

14. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    It was sitting nearby the grates which laid out in the middle of the roadway, was not at all visible until it was too ate and I saw it flying out from underneath my car after an awful crunching scraping sound. Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So sorry to hear about this!:(I hope you have some recourse!

Sammi likes this.
  16. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    You have to deal with the argument that you should have seen such an object in your path and avoided it. The fact that it was not visible in time to avoid it is good for your side. I hope that you can get at least some compensation. Was your front bodywork also damaged?

Sammi likes this.
  17. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Has been in a lift yet? Hopefully a hole in the pan and they can replace versus ripped off. Any feel yet?

Sammi likes this.
  18. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Just got back from the service shop, estimate approx $20k worth of damage after parts and labor. The subframe got bent. The oil pan is the easy part. I’ll attach some photos of what the mechanic sent me.

19. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Where is the hole from which the oil poured? And was the engine shut off before oil pressure was lost?

20. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I believe here, sorry this is a screenshot from a video since I’m unable to upload videos. This was taken before I had it towed to the service shop. I shut the engine off about 5 minutes after sitting parked - not realizing I had oil pouring from the bottom until i opened the door to check the vehicle. I am not certain if oil pressure was lost, I do recall a warning light flashing briefly but it disappeared after less than 2 seconds.

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    With a dry sump system,you should be fine until the oil tank empties. I would want to know if the oil tank still has oil in it.

RamsHmb likes this.
  22. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think the car is a Portofino and don't believe they have a dry sump motor. I recently placed an order for a Roma (same motor) and specifically asked the dealer if it was dry sump and they said no, wet sump motor. So unfortunately running it for 5 min. with all the oil running out could be a major problem. So sorry this happened, what a bummer!

23. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Her car is a Cali (I don't remember which model) with a dry sump. My Portofino has a dry sump and holds about 3 1/2 gallons oil. i don't know about the Roma.

24. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I believe it’s a California and they are dry sump...at least that is what I recall from mine. Should be fine. Yeah...based on the pics the oil issue is the least of the problems. I am actually surprised it’s not more. Regardless, sh$t show and sorry you are having to go through it. I had a teenager in an absolute beater accidentally put it into reverse at a stop sign and before he knew what was happening he was more than half way up the bonnet of my 458 s...just a horrible feeling. At least you are safe and no one was hurt.