Oil in Coolant Overflow Tank | FerrariChat

Oil in Coolant Overflow Tank

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rgb125, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    Hi All,
    Checked the engine oil & coolant level on my 2011 Cali & found a small skim of milky oil present floating on the coolant. Engine oil shows no contamination, thoughts on if it may be a possible DCT heat exchanger leaking, that is causing this?

Please advise...
    Thanks

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The whole deal with the Getrag DCT is very vague and foggy, I suspect an attempt to dissuade 3rd parties from servicing them.

From what I can tell, there are several kinds of fluids involved with the 2011 car's DCT. These are the wet clutch lubricant which is "Shell DCT F3", (ATF) transmission fluid and gear oil for the actual transmission and differential gears which is GL-5, and then there is also water which is used in one of two possible heat exchanger designs, which took the heat from the lubricants.

There was a small heat exchanger (part 240632) at the front engine area that was only used in chassis assemblies up to ass # 89388. Gear oil (GL-5) was brought to that unit and probably exchanged heat with water from the engine radiator. The small heat exchanger only exchanged heat from the GL-5. I suspect the original design assumed the AFT wouldn't need a cooling circuit. The ATF was also not meant to be replaced as the wet clutches were designed to not require service... but we all know what happened to that idea. Sometime in late 2012, this small heat exchanger was then deleted in favour of a much bigger heat exchanger (part 262811) mounted behind the DCT, probably because it's too big to put up front where the former small unit was. The new unit is only spec'd applicable for ass# 89389 onwards (probably starting with the Cali30) and exchanges heat for both GL-5 and ATF, transferring the heat to water which is then shuffled back/forth across the undercarriage to the engine radiator.

I believe the 2011 Cali uses the small heat exchanger so the engine radiator water circuit is all up front, in the engine compartment. If your water radiator got oil contaminant from the DCT it has to come from inside the small heat exchanger and the oil has to be GL-5, not 5W40 engine oil.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Of course, please note I'm not a trained Ferrari mechanic and am just another Cali owner so my information is only based on personally researched deductions so make sure you check for yourself before spending time and money to use this information.

daytona355 and gsholz like this.
  3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ask a qualified mechanic to examine your car and let us learn from your experience.

4. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    Thanks for this information, & what I am assuming as well. It went to the shop this morning, so will advise as to the outcome.
    Appreciate this forum & participants, thanks much!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daytona355 likes this.
  5. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    Thanks MalibuGuy - in the shop currently & will advise.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    4th gear, the DTC ATF on the 2010-2011 California's is cooled by its own radiator at the front of the car. Look at the parts diagram that you uploaded, and you can see the two pipes, hoses and radiator for the DTC ATF on the lower portion of the diagram.

The engine used in the California is a wet sump motor with no external engine oil hoses or cooler. Instead it uses a heat exchanger located in the center of the V of the engine (under the intake plenum) to warm the engine oil when it is cold, and to cool it off when it is hot.

Your oil in the coolant could be coming from either of these exchangers or a leaking gasket in the engine.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

MalibuGuy, daytona355 and vjd3 like this.
  7. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    Motob - appears you called it... Learned today that gearbox heat exchanger tested fine, so appears to be the engine oil heat exchanger in the V of the engine.
    Thanks for your insight

MalibuGuy and daytona355 like this.
  8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Oh well, nothing in that V is easy to get to. Best regards.

9. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    daytona355 likes this.