430 - Oil From drain pipe | FerrariChat

430 Oil From drain pipe

Discussion in '360/430' started by grayson9, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grayson9

grayson9 Rookie

Oct 28, 2013
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Graeme Cooke
    Hi there,

I have had my F430 since the beginning of winter last year. We are now heading into summer here in Japan and obviously things are heating up.

I dont drive my car super hard and its only done 3,300 Klm. Prior to buying all fluids were changed and topped up last winter.

However here its comes and I am sure you already have the answer.

The last 2x I have driven the car in excess of 120 Klm in total distance. The temperature was about 24 degrees C (sorry) not F

After parking the car at home I noted a very small thin oil patch on the concrete on the rear right of the engine area by the defusser . Its almost inline with the centre of the right rear wheel.

The oil liquid is clear and appeared to have a little water with it. I have pulled all parts away and found a large overflow black pipe which simply points to the ground and this is where the oil is from.

Should I worry? What should I do? I feel its possibly because of some heat expansion but have no idea. The car drives well and this has happened twice. Getting nervous.

Cheers

2. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France
    For me it is not oil but engine water.
    When you stop your engine hot then it is normal to see a very little amount of water leaking from the drain pipe of your extension tank (pipe on the plug).

If I am right, explanation is that when you stop your engine hot, then water pump stop water circulation, air fans are stopped too, but engine still heat the water and so pressure in the water circuit is raising. When above 1.4 bar, the valve into the expansion tank plug is opening and water is draining into the plug pipe which end at the rear wheel.

3. grayson9

grayson9 Rookie

Oct 28, 2013
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Graeme Cooke
    Very interesting reply thank you. I checked the pipe itself and the feeling of the liquid had an oil like texture however the pool on the ground quickly evaporates but does leave a stain. I thought that its possibly the F1 fluid was possibly a little over full and then expanded with extra heat and escaped through some valve.

I like your answer much more :) Thanks but I need to think more.

tifosi101 likes this.