Oil cooler hose size (& supplier ?) | FerrariChat

Oil cooler hose size (& supplier ?)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Nov 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I just have to replace the hose from my cooler: we had to move the cooler by a few centimetres so need a longer lower hose.

Fortunately my hose do have re-usable fittings. I thought this would be a non-issue, but the hose itself is hard to find. There are quite a few discussions on the 3x8 forum on the subject, but no source or reference provided.

Any hint?

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

I had to get two new oil lines made for my BB and, like you, I found it quite difficult to find a shop that had the appropriate replacement hose. I live in an area that eats, lives, and breathes oil and so I thought it would be trivial to find a replacement hose.... boy was I wrong. I must have spent a few hours calling all of the shops, etc before I found one that had a suitable replacement house. I found that the issue was not the oil pressure, but the temp that our car's oil can reach. Secondly and more importantly, that the oil could contain combustion byproducts along with fuel residue (traces of ethanol and other detergents/additives). It was the latter that was the major issue for the local hose suppliers. I eventually found a shop that had the correct hose, but they have since closed (our Oil and Gas economy has tanked and in so doing has knackered the majority of the support businesses). However, I wanted to point out some of the criteria you should be aware of in your hose search.

Cheers,

Sam

3. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I had to replace my bottom hose a couple of years ago and at that time they were unavailable to purchase new.

I had the same issues as Sam trying to find a suitable replacement hose and to make matters worse it also needs to have the same wall thickness as the original hose if you are going to use the old fittings.
    I tried reusing the old fittings as the local suppliers in my area could not crimp both ends on a hose this short.

My attempts at rebuilding the bottom hose were an epic failure. :(
    I managed to locate what I thought was a suitable hose but the wall thickness was not quite as thick as the original hose.
    The hose was assembled and pressure tested OK then put on the car and tested at running temp on the hoist.
    Well you can guess what happened at running temp under a few revs - the hose let go with about 10L of hot oil spaying out in my shed!
    Luckily I was able to shut it off immediately but imagine if this happened on the open road somewhere?

Then I purchased a very expensive second-hand hose from the US and it failed pressure testing at my local hydraulic shop.
    The only option then was to wait for Maranello to remake them which took about 6 months.

If you have to remake the bottom hose a bit longer you may be better off getting an original upper hose and remaking it shorter to suit your application.

Cheers,
    Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I replaced my top (long) hose at Pirtek Hydraulics; they supply all kinds of hoses for industrial uses. That is a local NJ firm but part of a larger national chain. They reused my end fittings because they did not have a match. The hose is Teflon line with the external SS braid. It is rated for 450 F (232 C) and 2000 psig (138 bar). Hose designation is 100 STH10 / BC-10-10. By reusing my fittings the hose length was slightly reduced to weld in their hose fittings. On one end they added a flare fitting so that I could "clock" ends to match the mounting points (hose does not rotate). It has been on the car for 6 years with lots of miles.

I was so happy with result that I asked him to make a spare for the short lower hose. He could not do the same because the actual hose length would have only been an inch or two, after welding on there fittings. Since my lower hose had not failed I endeavored to find a good spare. It cost a fortune but I bought one in Germany from a guy parting out a 400i. So my original is still on car and spare is kept in my parts cabinet.
    Ken

5. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Post #12 in this thread has the wall thickness listed that you will need to reuse the original fittings -
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/oil-hose.522912/

The hose I tried that failed spectacularly was 100 series AN10.
    The AN10 fittings use hose with a wall thickness of around 3mm so is unsuitable for crimping in the original rebuildable connectors.

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Has anyone checked with Dave Helms? He has had many custom hoses made to his specification for Ferrari autos. I was actually thinking about contacting him in the next week or two.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    This is what I have come through so far:
    • The re-usable fittings do look similar to "Porsche fittings" that were made by Argus.
    • According to a Porsche supplier (Brad Davis - HBD Products), These Argus fittings were leftover from worldwar II aircraft industry.
    • Argus technik are still in business, but do not produce the re-usable fittings any-more. Would have to check whether they have some non-re-usable fittings for sale. https://www.argusfluidtechnik.com/products#hosesfittings .
    • Argus technik are linked to AlfaGomma (see website footer), which would explain how another Canadian FChater managed to get some alternative hoses from this company (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/oil-line-rebuilding.331310/page-2#post-141563016).
    • Elephant Racing does seem to sell the 30mm non-re-usable fittings but not the 26mm ones, these 30mm fittings are "made in Germany" (Argus Technic?)
    • There are two places that do sell re-pro re-usable 26mm fittings (sobek-motorsporttechnik.de & https://www.911rennen.com/hdb_store/index.php)
    • The above two company do sell the repro fitting with 2633 Cohline hoses !
    At the end of the day these could be the proper hoses: https://www.cohpro.com/low-pressure-hose-and-fittings/hose/oil-hose/oil-pressure-hose-2633.html . Unfortunately the 15/23 ID/OD (15/23.5 for the braided variant) does not seem to perfectly match what Al Campbel quoted in his previous post. Would have to check with a Caliper once the current lock-down is alleviated (my vintage mechanic is not listed as an essential business, so no access to the car for now).

Will post update once this is sorted out!

Photos posted on a Porsche Forum (Brad Davis):

Non braided hose

Al Campbell likes this.
  9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Just posting some feedback. My lines have just been refurbished with Cohline 2633.1300 (not 2633.1600 as in my previously posted picture grabbed on a Porsche forum) . This is a perfect (tight) fit.

I could source these non-braided hoses on cohpro.com. They do not (yet) stock the braided hose (ref: 2633.01.1300), but will look into it once I've successfully tested it. Time to make a real life test and report.

£12/meter : there are some worse substitutes, but they are more expensive :)

wrxmike and Al Campbell like this.