Oh shucks.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oh shucks....

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #26 Turbopanzer, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Anyone read the
    Anyone read the comments attached to the article.? Seems others agree, we don't recognize the talents of the women of NHRA or other series. We all seem to forget that Mrs Mulldowney won 3 Top Fuel Championships. No spec racing. No media Dog and pony show. She did it on hard work and talent. Miller likes to paint a picture that PSP is the second coming of Christ. I don't think Indy car has had a mass transformation because of her or a resurgence of interest either. I do know this....a driver that had only 3 Indy car wins in his career did more for the sport than she did or ever will. He served as chief Stewart for CART and far more for racing than ever given credit for. I think he had more valve to the sport than the likes of PSP.

http://gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2018/the_way_it_is_no582.html

And we wonder why the sport is in trouble? We are bowing to the wrong people. Miller is just a paper peddler. And he isn't too good at it in my opinion.

rdefabri and lorenzobandini like this.
  2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    His sidekick the fatman is no great shakes either. He seems intelligent enough but he's way too snippy and way too full of himself.

3. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I think both represent what I do not like about racing today. More hype than substance. No tech stories, no new cars, no new anything. It just seems that all that it was is now a distant memory .

lorenzobandini likes this.
  4. It just seems that way because it is just that way. :(

Would that be Wally? Even if not ('memory's def' givin' out) whoever it was wasn't chief Stewart, there's only one chief Stewart, that would be Jackie, The Flying Scotsman. He was, however, chief steward. :p:D

('Hadda'. I'm a nerd doncha' know. Also, it's genetic. :))

edit: ah-ha. The ol' recorder (memory) still works sometimes. I clicked on your link and it was Wally, eh? WD Jr. didn't do too bad himself in his T/A and IMSA racin' endeavours.... :)

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Not just sport - our entire culture. If you are F-Chat subscribed, see the thread on the Texas shooting - we are building an army of entitled, coddled snowflakes that crumble like a cheap suit when the pressure is on.

By comparison, I was reading Marshal Pruett's series on Willy T. Ribbs. Ribbs was no doubt a controversial character, but his Indy qualification effort with Derrick Walker's new team is a profile on how it's done. And I'm not talking about the racial stuff, the story is compelling if the driver was AJ Foyt.

I doubt many today would have the conjones to overcome the stress of that weekend.

lorenzobandini and Turbopanzer like this.
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not too impressed with the Indy qualifying format.

Make them go out on Saturday in order just to get into the show.

Then, once they're filtered down to 33 cars, make them go out and do it all over again the next day?

Dunno, it just seems kind of silly really. I can see perhaps getting to the 33 cars, locking in positions
    10-33 and having the top 9 go at it again. But, to make two full days out of it, when the TV cameras
    aren't even rolling, seems a bit (how to say...) overdone.

BHW

Turbopanzer likes this.
  7. Yer right. Now it's a snoozefest. :yawn:
    It was far better when there was four days of qualifying and we wasn't watchin' carbon copies goin' round and round.... :)

8. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. Too many want someone else to do it for them. Why? Because they never learned. Then they want you to do it while they determine the price they will pay. Racing did this to itself because it allowed too many to dictate how things will be. Same for society. You are all entitled? Great ...do it yourself.

As for controversial...standing up for your self today seems to have that effect. I have told several team owners that that the product they are selling is mindless bs. I was not well received .

lorenzobandini and rdefabri like this.
  9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Shame, isn't it? If it ain't broke - DON'T FIX IT!! :)

Turbopanzer likes this.
  11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    The words of a mechanic. I like your thoughts! ;)

rdefabri likes this.