{offtopic} The Day The Music Died - 12.10.2008 | FerrariChat

{offtopic} The Day The Music Died - 12.10.2008

Discussion in 'Texas' started by FarmerDave, Dec 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    KTXT 88.1 FM, the 35,000 watt student operated radio station in Lubbock is no longer on the air after 50 years of history. Apparently Texas Tech considers a $100k per year operating deficit to be too costly. (Costs were purely keeping the signal on the air, there weren't any salaries paid to speak of.)

I worked there from 2002-2004. Nobody used their real names. My nickname was "Clutch". I was on the air Tuesday mornings from 6 to 10.

Summer of '03 I hosted an evening specialty show called the Tuesday Night Riot. In order to in some small way offer some Ferrari content in this self-indulgent thread, the introduction to the show that I produced had a bunch of audio clips spliced from the narration of the 1970s Formula 1 documentary "The Quick and The Dead."

As soon as I get some of the audio files in my archive converted, I will post some of them (they're very short and small, just to give flavor.)

Bummer.

Keep it locked to the left.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sorry to hear about that, David.

I can see you as a radio talkshow host.

3. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    #3 ...m..., Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    ...my sympathies - i used to have a program of my own in the early nineties, and am dearly familiar with community-supported radio as the last bastion of anything worth listening to for the better part of the past twenty years...

...that said, the expenses of terrestrial radio i think have numbered its waning days as a cultural incubator...i experienced a revelation last month when our office 'net connection was down and i tuned my mobile phone into the two-thousand-mile-away listener-supported station we listen to without missing a beat, no different than the transistor radios of my childhood: internet broadcasts are widely accessible and improving day-by-day, offer absolute creative liberty to programmers, and are orders of magnitude more affordable than the great wide transmitters of yore...

...i'll always feel wistful for the old ships of pirate radio and the wonder of tuning a signal bouncing off the ionosphere from the other side of the globe, but the essence of that scene remains alive and burgeoning in the temporary autonomous zone of day, surfing along the crest of technological change...

...best of fortune to all of you out in lubbock...