Official Monza SP1 and SP2 market value thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Official Monza SP1 and SP2 market value thread

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by roma1280, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Only 30% LOL, 30 would be a result on an optioned car.

roma1280 likes this.
  2. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    The difference and the reason for the premium disappearing is they kept making 812’s so the demand became diluted. The Monza is just not available! Never had dealers contacting me on any new car I’ve owned. People are only realizing how beautiful the Monza is when they see it in person and immediately want one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I agree with that. No one knows where prices will stabilise. The very first LaF sold here traded for relatively small premium (30-40%), then the car doubled and it has recently come down a little.

I think second hand prices for Monza will be very dependent on colour/spec. If you want a SP2 and have max 300-320 cars to choose from, you don’t want to spend over 1.5m EUR for a car that has a bad colour or interior. Since Ferrari started offering unlimited choice of colours, bad specs have become quite common. You see the same thing with TDFs. I have seen cars sell in hours at huge prices because of their brilliant spec and I have also seen cars sit at dealers for months because whoever ordered them didn’t spend enough time thinking of how to match the colours, went overboard with tailor made tweaks and ended up with an eyesore.
    If you think about it, this was never a problem with the 288/F40/F50/Enzo as choices were limited and much less of a problem with the LaF (although try to sell a LaF in a strange colour, white leather with red piping or a red steering wheel and see how you get on)

In my opinion a beautifully specced Monza will always be in demand.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

LARRYH, spyderman, cesman and 5 others like this.
  4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Agreed, but I think Monza was priced much higher than previous LE cars like tdf, 458SA etc, so the percentage early secondary market premium relative to those cars is already lower, and secondly at a 30% premium the Monza is getting into same ball park as the halo cars like F50/Enzo/288, for what is a (very nicely) re-bodied 812. And once these very early "must-have" buyers are gone, the market will probably head lower, towards list. If there was going to be a big sustained premium, we would be seeing these early cars trading more like 2x which clearly isn't the case. That's why I think Ferrari has got the pricing just right to leave no money on the table for the buyer.

This is all of course all financial, and nothing to do with owning/driving one of these beauties.

roma1280 likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and this is all why i will never again buy a new ferrari. thankfully the new cars dont do anything for me and there is plenty of F stuff to buy before 2010.

LARRYH, ewright and roma1280 like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we have no problem adding new appropriate model forums, that may be the SP1 and SP2. however, much of it has to do with traffic for those models. if a forum doesn't have critical mass, then it just stays dead. we need enough traffic to keep people coming back daily. it might be close to that point, I don't know.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    With only say 320 SP2’s produced and maybe 100 in the US they will be quite rare. At least 70% probably went to true collectors with multiple halo cars who almost never sell, leaving a possible 30 that may hit the market over the next 5 years in the States. So 5 or 6 a year makes for a high premium sellers market for the SP2, as I said I have had two bonifide inquiries and want to keep mine indefinitely. The SP1 will be even rarer.
    I know most people who collect that have seen one in person seem interested in collecting this very unique Ferrari.

The argument about it being just an 812 doesn’t matter to me. The 812 and the similar chassis TDF are the best and fastest front engine V12’s ever produced. Why would that be a negative for the most beautiful Ferrari built in decades. Would a front engine V12 car with a carbon chassis have really made a big difference in the overall likability? I don’t think so, it’s not a race car, its a nostalgic look back at the kind of beautiful bodied sports cars Ferrari built, with the best in class front engine V12 under that gorgeous clamshell bonnet. And its a blast to drive!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bundy, Ultralab, spyderman and 6 others like this.
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If McLaren can sell a 100 Elva's at $1.7mm+ then $2mm +/- for a SP1 or SP2 when they come up for sale sounds about right to me...

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good points. And the underpinnings are truly hypercar level. Imagine if any of the multi million dollar hypercar makers put the 812’s engine and gearbox into their cars- they’d be even more valuable. I think you could make a strong argument the 812 engine is the finest internal combustion engine ever built.

Bundy likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks Rob. My take is its nice to know where to look. I haven’t gone looking around, but off the cuff, it seems to me there are probably a few forums without a ton of traffic. Yet, they serve the purpose of providing the appropriate place for those seeking information.

11. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    McLaren is having trouble selling a 100 Elva's at $1.7mm+ though...

roma1280 and 456-boy like this.
  12. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yep. Initially at 399, to 249, then to 149 examples last I read. Heard in other parts there's possibly some still up for grabs.

Beyond being a Ferrari, I also think the Monza takes on the design of a speedster much cleaner than McLaren & others; the car's body just sinks into the ground with only the roll bar/s & the fender arches rising up to accommodate the wheels. It has this beautiful, clean canvas look.

Andial likes this.
  13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Interesting info. History has taught us that desirability on day one, or lack thereof, is not always correlated with ultimate desirability. Many of the limited edition cars in the past were limited because that’s all they could sell. The 275 NART spider springs to mind.

14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    What is the latest? I don’t think I have heard of any secondary trades but surely there just have been some?

15. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I have heard one SP2 trade for 2.6 usd a few months ago.

roma1280 likes this.
  16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Trying to work out when the 18 month lock up will end for most, should be soon … I wonder if some will come to market ..

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ferrari of Seattle sold one within hours just prior to the Monterey Car Week. Car had come from original owner. It was Rosso Fiorano, SP2. The ask was $ 3.5 M.

Marcel Massini

18. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
  19. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Very impressive number…the car is an instant classic.

roma1280 likes this.
  20. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I doubt it…if the owners want the second Icona they need to keep the Monza. It is a pre-requisite

Caeruleus11 and roma1280 like this.
  21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think this comment has aged well. I haven’t followed too closely but it seems not many Monzas have come to market. I am told they are over $3m but haven’t seen any verified sales.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    It's expensive for a 812 barchetta !:D

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    haha ye mention the unmentionable …

24. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Thank you . There is a buyer in Europe looking for an SP1 and offering well above $3m. No one seems to be selling. Can’t blame them…every time I look at my SP2 I think it is the most beautiful car ever (a bit of hyperbole here)

jpalmito likes this.
  25. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    In hindsight, Monza SP1 and SP2 are turning out to be the rare opportunity that non-VVIP clients get every now and then to purchase a car that gives them VVIP level access. The other two cars that I can remember in the past 15 years where this happened was the 599XX and the Porsche 918. Ferrari seems to be very clear in its intention to reward the buyers of SP1 and 2 by offering them SP3.