OFFICIAL FERRARI F12 TDF PICTURE THREAD | Page 3 | FerrariChat

OFFICIAL FERRARI F12 TDF PICTURE THREAD

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by ROMO, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    PJ- That may have been caused by other factors, like the shocks overheating from the constant up and down near full travel. The Enzo had that problem when tested on the Ring.

2. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    TAZ, Then lets hope that it is a simple fix for Porsche and a non issue for the F12 TDF.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What is that rear band made of? Is it functional or just for looks?

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Overheated shocks probably can happen at a place like the 'Ring, with the constant high-speed compression and rebounds. However, an overheated shock will not cause a suspension failure or a non-drivable condition, though it will make the car's handling degrade...

Hitting a curb, or repeated high speed bottoming, is more likely to break something, unless there is a weak link (pun very much intended) in the suspension pieces. (eg. - 430C, you run over enough curbs, your front wheel bearings give up the ghost quickly).

While the tdf has 230kg of downforce at 200kph, I would imagine (?) that they springs are spec'd to support that. After all, if you have a 100kg passenger and 20kg of baggage, you're already adding "downforce" to the F12....

I gave my Fcar salesman a session of hot laps on track in an F12last week, never bottomed out, even with his "personal downforce" sitting in the passenger seat. OTOH, I've run over a curb turtle in a 458 and bent the top of the shock...

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    HA! My new years resolution is to reduce my personal downforce :)

Great posts.

The rear band? Do you mean the strip of exposed CF? I think many panels are painted CF. The rear panel is made of CF and they leave the band area exposed.

6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I had a Grigio Ferro 458 Spider - lovely colour, warning can look a little dull in some lights.

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    While this is about the F12 tdF I would note that the P1 over a certain speed trims the rear spoiler. IF they didn't do that; the suspension would be damaged...

8. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i think it looks terrible

but then again i also think blacked out rims are for people who don't want to clean off brake dust :)

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It was exactly that 'dullness' that put me off speccing it on this car.

10. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    I too am curious as to what the black band is? If it's cosmetic only, which I believe to be the case, I would replace it with carbon fiber. I look forward to getting some insight on this question via Fchat or at the latest when I visit NYC on November 12th.

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I'm not familiar with how McLaren tunes the movable aero on the P1. My understanding is that at high(er) speeds, the aero trims out to limit drag, which also reduces downforce (similar to 458 Speciale, LaF and now TDF). However, at first point of directional change, braking or other "dynamic", the systems crank the downforce back in (Bugatti and Jaguar systems are similar). Software and sensors are an amazing thing

Have no idea if the P1 creates enough downforce to "damage" anything, I'd imagine it's more about maintaining the right ride height (i.e. you don't want to hit a bump at high speed with no suspension compliance). Also, having too much rear downforce at high speed would make the front end every light and probably feel pretty scary through the steering, so I would imagine the "adjustable" rear downforce is more about maintaining balance.

On the GT3RS point, I did see an short article, the issue seems to be rubbing and scraping. God knows Porsche really crammed massive tires under that body work, but if the car was lowered, or they added camber, et al, it would make it worse. There is a YT video, you can hear the car bottom/scrape in compressions, but hard to tell where or why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=222&v=CY7NaaxdPNA

FWIW, our engineer sets up our race cars to have "a little less than just the right amount" of bottoming, depending on the track....(eg. entry to 5A at Mosport, the right front of the splitter)

anyway, sorry for the tangent back to the F12 tdf....

12. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    On the preview car at Pebble Beach, it was black CF, and appeared to be just "trim".

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Too much down force generated at high speeds causing suspension damage was mentioned by Chris Goodwin in an interview with Jeremy Clarkson. The danger seemed real enough to McLaren that they engineered in a speed safety margin.
    The way that Ferrari generates their down force is much more subtle than what companies like Porsche are doing.

14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So can you order it without the band?

15. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I will find out on November 2nd when we are at the Atelier in Maranello. I don't know, but if anyone else has spec'd the car they may be able to chime in.

16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Enjoy the trip!

17. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    It's on the line this week - so I probably won't see it before December. Will post pics then.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari said the black band was to highlight the bridge and its aerodynamic role.

19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So it shows where the air flows and meets from both sides?

The band itself doesnt play any role, correct?

20. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    +1 I won't argue with that one :)

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Affirmative, purely lipstick. In this case, black lipstick.

22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I cant' wait to see yours !

23. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    The whole rear end is made from CF (as is the front end). The 'band' is simply unpainted or exposed CF. Purely aesthetic and plays no specific role. Will look great close up. The rendered pics do not do it any justice. Have specced mine in Rosso Mugello with Grigio wheels and ticked almost every CF option available but no word yet on RHD deliveries to our part of the world. Was able to secure 'TDF' registration plate. Price out the door including our crazy 34% luxury car tax approx $950K aussie dollars!

24. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
  25. Ferrari Now & Forever

Jun 16, 2015
    I've got to tell you all. I'm beginning to become more and more impressed with the Ferrari styling center. This is was the F12 is suppose to look like, the front, sides and rear are perfect for a front engine Ferrari.