Official book collectors thread | Page 87 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christophe320d

christophe320d Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    i still have around 50 cavallino magazines i want to sell

if someone is interested, let me know
    all are mint in a collectors state
    numbers 46, 48,49,50,54,59,60,64,69,88,97,99,100,103, 104,105,108, 117,119,125,
    shipped from belgium

2. christophe320d

christophe320d Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    wow looking forward to one

3. sylar91

sylar91 Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    Weird, it works for me. Try searching for "Le fuoriserie 1956-1970. Il meglio di Quattroruote".

4. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Ferrari – The Golden Years by Leonardo Acerbi

This is one BIG book: 320 pages, each approx 12” x 12”. This is really a visual treat with about 400 black & white and colour photos. The main bulk of the photos come from the photo library of Franco Villani, which is now owned by Giorgio Nada. So, many of the photos are previously unseen, but, of course, the subjects are familiar. The good thing is that most of the photographs are presented full-page or half page. It’s really nice to be able to see the detail.
    Some of the colour photos look a bit strange though, with the reds from the 1950s/1960s looking metallic, rather than the famous Ferrari crimson. Other disappointments are that the text is light grey on white paper, which makes it very hard to read. Maybe even more regrettable are the errors in the text and captions. I found two errors in the first twenty-one pages, and I hadn’t read all the text.
    So, what are The Golden Years? Acerbi has selected the period from Ferrari’s first race in 1947 through to 1988, the year of Enzo’s death. This time-span is divided into five sections; the first covers 1947-1949, then subsequent decades, with the decade 1970-1979 being the largest section. Overall I think there are some great photos to be enjoyed, and the book is well worth the cost.

• Hardcover: 359 pages
    • Publisher: Giorgio Nada Editore
    • Language: English & Italian
    • ISBN-10: 8879116746
    • ISBN-13: 978-8879116749
    • Price: Cover price is £60, $90

Nathan

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for the review, Nathan. The light grey print is a big disappointment. Why do publishers do this? Is it to give a greater contrast to the pictures? It's quite annoying.

6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Jack, the light grey print is really annoying. If you eye-sight, like mine, is less than 100% then it is very difficult to read. I had to give up on it. Pity, but at least the reproduction of the photos is good quality.
    Nathan

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  8. MassaFan

MassaFan Karting

Nov 10, 2007
    #2158 MassaFan, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello folks, I have bought this book several years ago from a Ferrari memorbilia collector but due to some private investments I am looking to sell it now.
    It is the 1987 first english version. The outer cover shows some wear and a small cut. The book itself is in good condition but was used and read.
    As I don't have a cert or proof I will not guerentee the authenticy of the signature, that is why I am looking to sell it cheaper as here in germany no one is offering an authentification service. The price I am asking is 300 US plus shipping.
    PM me if interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #2159 bitzman, Jul 12, 2017
    Circa 1982
    Fabrizio Pasquero Franco Varisco

I am afraid I let mine get a tad dogeared but still like to know the value.
    The book dates back to when 250GTOs were under $100,000 and a bunch
    met at Mas du Clos in France for a wingding, drive on the private racetrack, informal concours, and there's interviews of many of the owners. I tried to find the drug dealer /GTO owner that was subsequently murdered in the interviews but I guess he was maintaining a low profile. The book is delightful because these owners here had largely bought the cars because they loved them not because they were looking for future investment. There was a hardbound issue to. I think there was foreign language versions, as well as English.

I found one on ebay for $95 but still want to know hardbound vs. softbound value

of2worlds likes this.
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'll sell you a hardbound edition in extra fine condition for
    $85.00 including shipping in the USA.

PM me.

11. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    According to D BULL Publishing the book should be available sometime in the fall, hopefully September.

12. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy

This is the so called Cartier Edition from 1985 and it was printed in 3 editions: English, German and French. Unfortunately the Enzo Ferrari autograph is a fake. Sorry.

13. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Wondering how many here have ordered some version of Inside Track?

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I ordered the collector's edition + autobiography as soon as they started taking orders. 100% prepaid, of course.

15. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Of course. That is what I have ordered, as well. This looks to be the book of the decade. I remember the table at the Monterey races in about 2002 iirc, where they said it was in process.

16. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    I ordered a copy of the connoisseur's edition, also prepaid, as others have mentioned. I must say that the ongoing delays are beginning to make me question the wisdom of the purchase.

17. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Steve Dawson was in Monterey selling prints from Phil Hill's photographic collection and talking about the book as early as the late 1990s. So, yes, it has basically been 20 years...

18. Blanco-TdF

Blanco-TdF Rookie

Feb 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #2168 Blanco-TdF, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Jack, George, & Marc,

Since all 3 of you posted on Page 54 after my first post (#1061) on 2/3/2012, I thought it appropriate that I chime in now. This topic has not been addressed for several months and it appeared that we were all holding our breath and flying under the radar. Most of my 23 posts have been about the book (now books). I paid for the Collector's set plus Autobiography last year. I have been getting all of the email "Updates" and reading NEWS on the website.

We didn't attend the Rolex Reunion this year but no one that know who did was aware of any book presentation there. Since Derek is now MC at Pebble Beach I figured that was the most logical alternative. I called someone I know at Pebble and found out that the forum was on Friday, August 18, as part of the 2017 Pebble Beach Classic Car Forum. It was at the Lodge at Spanish Bay (golf course). The event was booked up far in advance and there was seating for 200. John Lamm was Moderator. Derek and Stave Dawson also participated. https://www.pbclassiccarforum.com/2017-forums.html

Goodwood is sold out and I wasn't seriously considering going. Someone with a GoPro should go to the Bonhams pavilion and page through the Autobiography draft copy. All of the photo captions in the draft that is shown in NEWS on the website correctly state the venue but then say "A caption is needed here, a short caption is required a short cap-tion is needed, a short caption is required here." I don't expect it until 2018.

Jeff
    back to radio silence

19. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jeff,
    I am encouraged by the latest news from them. I expect to see something next month, as they are telling us the books have shipped. The photos look fantastic from what they have posted. Akin to the Weekend Heroes book.

George

20. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    #2170 tifoso2728, Sep 5, 2017
  21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Let me correct the above: They are mostly original photos by Mr. Adler. There are not that many original "period" photos.

It's actually a nicely done book.

22. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Just received this from the publishers of "Inside Track", the Phil Hill book;
    First of all, our thanks to all those who called by to see the books ten days ago at the Goodwood Revival Meeting. After 12 years of planning and two intense years of production, it was a real pleasure to see the books finally on show and, more importantly, so well received by all who saw them. Our thanks to one and all for the many kind words.

It seemed particularly apt to launch the books at the Revival, where the life and career of one of the few surviving drivers who raced against Phil in period, Tony Brooks, was being celebrated in such style, with the great man himself leading a parade of Grand Prix cars that raced during the 1957 season – including Tony himself in a wonderful Vanwall, which he co-drove with Stirling Moss to become the first all-British combination to win a premier-level Grand Prix in that year's British qualifying round at Aintree.

SPECIAL PRE-PUBLICATION PRICES COME TO AN END

Now for the really important news, with the first two volumes that form the Collector's and part of the Connoisseur's Editions soon to be sent out to all those who have already ordered them, please note that there are only 10 days left to benefit from the special pre-publication prices currently shown on the website…

From Sunday, 1 October, the volume prices will rise by 20 percent and more, depending on the title. The price of the Collector's Edition, for example, not including delivery, will rise from $720 to $850, while prices for the single-volume Bookshop Edition and the Racing Autobiography will increase from $240 to $320 and $180 to $240 respectively. Finally the price of the Connoisseur's Edition, again not including delivery, will rise from $1800 to $2100.

Please place your order now to benefit from this special offer. philhillbook.com

And to all those who placed their faith in us and have already ordered one or more of the volumes, we extend our sincere thanks for your help in bringing them to fruition. They represent much more than just another publishing event - thanks to Phil’s wonderful photography here we are able to open a portal upon a bygone era of world-class motor sport. Become a time traveller - buy the Phil Hill books - and thank you so much for your interest…
    Kind regards - Doug Nye

I guess that this is the time to get your order in.

Nathan

23. seb333

seb333 Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Seb
    It´s getting closer! The Collector’s edition has been sent out and should be here within a few days. Who will be the first here?

24. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Did you get a notice about them actually being mailed? I have not, yet.

25. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Correction. I just received an email that it should be arriving Monday.