Official 328 GTB/GTS Market Thread | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Official 328 GTB/GTS Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by buckminster, Jul 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Do you know for what price the car was sold on that auction ?

I am by no means an expert, cardealer, collector or investor, just a guy who likes Italian cars, sweeped every loose penny together back in 1995 to buy his first and so far only Ferrari. I wonder what type of guys/dealers buy these kind of cars. One should have some sort of in-depth vision in/on the market to buy these sort of cars for this kind of money ? I think if you don't, you take a considerable risk to end up with a loss. These kind of cars one doesn't sell to a guy who just wants to drive it often, as it would represent the most expensive amount-per-mile one would have to write off. So "searching collectors" who have placed a search-order would be the potential buyers. But why then (having to) advertise it ?

I am not at all familiar with the parties that buy/visit US auctions, but for sure they won't all be just gamblers or fortune-seekers that "ride the wave". Or are they ? Or am I just beïng naïve again ?

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Hi Emile,

It sold for 150.000 dollars less commission, this at the end of March (Auctions America).
    See page 37 of this very thread.

Rgds

3. mspelt

mspelt Formula Junior

May 28, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Full Name:
    Mark Pelt
    Here is a post from ebay I saw this morning. At this price I am putting mine up for sale.

Ferrari 328 | eBay

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    While I realize that's an asking price, that's just insane...I'm with you, I'll put my car (a 308) up for sale at 1/3 that price....OUCH!!!

5. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    that's the car Neofer spotted a few posts (#850) ago ! For that "starting bit" I'll even sell my #19055 !

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Peuh! It will not work at this price, Emile: your car is a lowly glass 308, not a 328!

I can't believe said car - 328 GTS # 81897 - will sell at this asked price; but I admit that yellow/black is nice, and it is an "euro"...
    Value, or asked price, are spiraling out of control...

Rgds

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Of course, that car is a >1000-mile time capsule 1989. Still, it's setting the 328 market parameters nicely, and gives me strong pause regarding my 87 GTB. The time may be near!

Greg

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Have a look at my post just above yours: said car, chassis #81897, sold for 150.000 $ at an auction only two months ago...

Rgds

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The fact that the values are "raising" (or should I say "exploding"?) explain that quite a number of time capsules '89, bought in their day for investment (speculation?), are now seing the light of the day again: we saw half a dozen for sale in Europe since the begining of the year, and I still do wonder how many are left under wraps somewhere...

Rgds

10. docbell

docbell Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Yellow must be the color of choice now, unlike in the 80's....Yellow is the new red!

11. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    With these prices for our cars, I gave my insurance broker a call to raise my value again.

Currently @ $100k and asked about $175k. My broker said Hagerty wanted to know how I arrived at the amount requesting articles or on line documents.

I would think Hagerty would be most interested to know values before anyone else to keep up with the trend fast as they have been rising.

Replacing a low mileage car would be a difficult proposition to say the least.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, actually I would qualify yellow as: "not that common, but not one of the rarest colors either" on 328s.

I've access to the colors of "about half of all 328s produced" and counted the "Giallo" cars yesterday evening: I have found 50 cars identified positively as "Giallo" by their chassis number.
    That would make "about 100" for the whole production by extrapolation; or "about 1,5%".
    So not common, of course, but nowhere as rare as "Prugna" or "Blu Medio met"...

Interestingly, I have 20 "Giallo" in "Serie 1" (up to 76626) and 30 in "serie 2", and most of these are late production cars, that is '89, as if the color became more popular at the end of the production.

Rgds

13. docbell

docbell Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2012
    Erie, PA

Thanks for the information!

14. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I hope you don't mind, but how many cars do you have recorded as being verde scuro?

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Less than ten, I guess; one of the rarest color I know of on a 328.
    Give me until tonight to count these...

Rgds

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Brad: I have six identified by chassis number, so there should be ten or fifteen at max.

63785, US version, GTS
    73099, GTB, Right Hand Drive
    73403, US version, GTS (that car is in Belgium today, it belongs to someone I know)
    77639, Euro GTB, was for sale during 2011 for a long time in Germany
    78112, (no need to describe it to you...)
    82906, US version, GTB (very probably the last GTB imported to the US).

Rgds

17. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    What took you so long to respond??LOL Seriously, thanks for the quick response. In your opinion, is it the rarest color, or is prugna and blue more rare?

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    pay attention that an ultra rare color could be ultra ugly too... ;)

Everyone has his onw taste, but prugna maybe is not the best looking color on a 328...

ciao

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Alberto: I positively LOVE Prugna on a 328, but with a Crema interior.

"Blu Medio Met" is very, very rare on 328s, and could be very nice depending on the leather choosen.

Rgds

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #870 nerofer, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
    It is certainly one of the rarest color, but the topic of colors is difficult...
    Not wanting to derail this thread, but:

We have "about 5000 of the 7413 existing 328s" identified by their chassis number so far (not counting the "Turbo Intercooler" - 308 GTB and 828 GTS) - for which we have the color combination for about 3800 to 4000 cars.

But that statistical sample is biased towards US cars, this due to the efforts of very dedicated individuals, and the openess of these individuals and of the owners in disclosing their chassis numbers. UK cars are also rather well known.
    European owners are much more secretive towards their chassis numbers, so we know of some cars but except when someone takes time to look at the VIN on the identification plate, a fair number of Euro cars are still not identified yet.

There are countries which have received some good numbers of 328 for which we lack information.
    There are also cars that may have landed in countries were Ferraris are very rare and are keep far from prying eyes (South America comes to mind, # 79209 has been identified in Paraguay throug this very forum for instance).

So the data base is progressing more slowly these days, although the raise in value has the consequence that some cars that were kept hidden are now advertised for sale.

From one country to another, tastes in colors do change; Japanese people, for instance, are very found of white cars (white being their national color); Germans like green, etc...
    We have very few informations about the number of 328s in Japan, but it is not inconcevable to imagine that "a fair number" of the white 328s are there...

Extrapolating from our statistical sample by multiplying by two is not absurd, but for the very rare colors it is not "100% efficient", because those "very rare colors" are so rare that half-a-dozen cars may change the perspective.

What I can state as for today is that the information I have read sometimes that:
    - 77% of all 328s left the production line in "Rosso Corsa" is very probable indeed.
    - 11% in the two Blacks, the "solid" one and the "metallised" one makes sense also
    - 12% in all other colors together seem to also make sense,
    with some of these "all other colors together" being less rare than the others:
    Giallo (Yellow); Bianco (White) being "not that rare" (about 100 cars each?).
    Among the Blues, "Blu Chiaro" is the less rare I guess, then "Blu Sera", then "Azzuro"

Some colors are really very rare indeed on 328s: Prugna, Oro Chiaro, Blu Medio Met, Rosso Rubino each do account for ten to twelve cars max (provided that there are not 30 Rosso Rubino cars hidden under wraps in the same barn somewhere on Earth...)

Rgds

21. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Is the 5000 an approximate number of 328's still alive, I would expect that there will be more still alive (drivable or not).

Thanks for all your info!
    Menno

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There are probably many more than 5000 still alive, Menno. Very, very few are identified as being destroyed. My guess (careful, it is only a GUESS) is that more than 90% survive.

Rgds

23. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Yes, very many still alive also because of the galvanized steel body and reliable mechanics. The cars gone will be heavily damaged cars, burned cars, cars with engine blow-up, poor maintained and/or damaged cars destroyed for parts, some will have disappeared in the deserts and unpleasant parts of the world and some were sacraficed for racing. Anyway my guestimate would be a total of 6000 to 6500 (GTS+GTB).

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Bleah! :)

We Italians are famous for our good taste: to sell here in Italy a Prugna (plum) color 328, you have to weight it and ask the scrap price, 1 euro/kg... ;)

ciao

25. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    #875 Alfer, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Italian sport cars are mostly red not only because it suits extrovert cars well but also because its the histocical national racing colour of Italian racing cars......although the rosso in earlier days differs much from today.

Yes, Italians know what styling is and created lots of great looking cars, not all though:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login