Official 308 GT4 Market Thread | Page 123 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GT4 Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    I like the superformance steering rack kit in mine. It's way better when you are moving down the road. Yes, it's a little harder to steer at slow speeds but who cares.

2. Agreg

Agreg Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Anne M. G.
    Stephen, that is a bargain at that price. My husband and I have both driven your car prior to its sale. The guys at Strictly Ferrari/Naples Classic Car are literally second to none. There is nothing on your car that hasn't been gone through. Strong, fast and very well sorted. One will be very hard pressed to purchase a restoration to that level at that price in the future. Congratulations!

dinogt4guy and Asmonaco like this.
  3. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Many thanks for the thumps up. Yes the boys down in Florida do a very nice job. I've found a few very minor things not quite right but I am very detail orientated. Just installed a electronic ignition system to get rid of those pesky points, not as easy as it's made out to be but well worth it. Plan on driving her up to Monterey in Aug. for all the fun and Concorso Italiano--going to have it judged just to see how many points she gets.

4. oelboxer

oelboxer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Wright
    Stephen - The change over to electronic and away from points ignition on our cars is popular, but I question the motivation and the folklore behind it. I’ve owned lots of Porsches with points and, aside from needing points replacement from time to time, they work very well. If you plan to enter your car in any concours events the swap will cost you points in judging. My mechanic also tells me that the electronic ignition system sacrifices part of your torque curve, leaving a pronounced flat spot. He’s been working on these cars since new and swears by the points. I’m saying all of this not from a position on high or of snobbery as my GT4 lost its points to electronic ignition long ago! I’m just very curious about other points of view.
    - Matt

epehn

Agreg likes this.
  5. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Well I agree I might lose a point or two for the ignition even though its all hidden under the caps. But I don't have the car just to show off I drive them to enjoy. The car starts much better now with no noticeable loss in power or torque. No flat spots. Advanced the timing up to about 9 degrees. This is a euro spec with 250 hp. and no emissions. By the way she has 328 pistons/liners installed for another 20 hp.

dinogt4guy likes this.
  6. oelboxer

oelboxer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Wright
    My emissions equipment has been deleted for what it's worth. What ignition system did you use? My car came to me with the electronic ignition so I have no comparison with points. I do have a flat spot early in the revs. I agree that the cars should be driven and owned to enjoy! From everything I'm hearing from you and others, it looks like sticking with my electronic system may be the way to go in terms of reliability and consistent driving. Thanks!

7. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    I learned a few hard lessons converting the ignition. I first installed a PerTronix Ignitor II MR-182A. Removed the ballast resistors and installed per instructions. The car wouldn't start. Checked everything with no luck. Removed it and installed PerTronix Ignitor MR-182A, not the II system. Reinstalled the ballast resistors and installed per instructions. The car starts and runs. This is a dual distributor car.
    What the instructions don't tell you:
    Make sure the sensor mounting plate is correctly orientated. They say there is a X on the plate that helps with the orientation-there isn't. My dizzys have provisions for two sets of points so you can incorrectly mount the plate. Make sure the sensor is mounted closest to the hole where your original wire was with the wires of the sensor going directly out--no looping around.
    You have to remove a circlip that is behind your cam for the new magnetic sleeve to fit properly. PerTronix doesn't tell you this and it is important. If you don't remove it the front bearing will not press on far enough so that the snap ring will not set on reinstallation.
    Follow the wiring instructions. This is pretty straight forward. Set your timing and away you go. I advise removing your distributors from the engine. I initially did this with them installed and it is very difficult to accomplish, not a good idea.

8. oelboxer

oelboxer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Wright
    Thanks so much Stephen! I am going to dive in and check all of these tidbits. The car fires right up, and runs out nicely, except for that low-RPM flat spot. That said, there could be a lot more engine to untap if my ignition isn't set up correctly. Much appreciated!

9. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Sorry for a bit of info for anyone doing this conversion. The critical circlip I talked about that needs to be removed is behind the bearing and in front of the cam. Not behind the cam.

10. specialbuild

specialbuild Rookie

Mar 4, 2019
    Athens, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Casey
  11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I think the sunroof job on it may have left some concerned. It didn't look too well done.

I'll update mine now too, doing belts, tensioners, water pump gaskets and seals next week, and probably dropping my price too lol if anyone's big on Giallo

12. specialbuild

specialbuild Rookie

Mar 4, 2019
    Athens, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Casey
    I really dig yours but prefer the original green color. The repaint on yours is too nice for me to bother taking back to original haha

19633500GT likes this.
  13. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Lol, I agree, I would've preferred the OE green too. But you're also right, the paint is too nice to strip and redo. If it was a 3+ car it would absolutely make sense though.

14. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
  15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

No affiliation, but a rather nice driver GT4 is on Ebay's classified section with an ask of $35K USD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Ferrari-308/143190797082?hash=item2156d62b1a%3Ag%3A-rAAAOSwAYlcmmVW&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500

I am surprised at the price.. wow...

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lorzen likes this.
  16. oelboxer

oelboxer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Wright
    I sent a message to the seller through eBay and got no response. It's probably a scam like the '79 308 that was on there a week or so ago. There has been a rash of new eBay scams lately, and their ad of choice is always the Classified type on eBay. They collect contact info for a week or so, then contact everyone all at once in the hopes of getting one or more payments. Of course, it's possible that this guy is just too busy to reply to inquiries, but a) the car is underpriced by a fair amount and b) who runs an ad then doesn't follow up with potential buyers?

17. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That sucks I was just in Newnan Ga last week to see my parents. Wish I would have known about this then. I still really want one of these.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    19633500GT likes this.
  19. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I assume so. Looks funny w shields. Guess I’ve never seen one with shields before lol

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    oh they are out there. when I bought mine in 2001 it had bigazz square old school decals on the fenders

19633500GT likes this.
  21. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
  22. oelboxer

oelboxer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Wright
    Silver/Red is definitely not your usual combo, but probably a love or hate for most. He also just had the major service done. I can’t recall the service details on yours. Might be a good move to try BaT!