OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD | Page 46 | FerrariChat

OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Jan 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    You think correctly :;

2. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1127 Zeus, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Another yellow car--Keke Rosberg's undistinguished (both in looks and performance) Fittipaldi. Keke's formative years in F1 were less than stellar, quite obviously due to inferior equipment. He bounced back and forth between Theodore, ATS and Wolf during the 1978 and 1979 seasons before landing with Team Fittipaldi. The cars were so bad that in 1981 alone the 2 Fittipaldi cars had 23 DNQ and DNFs between them. Of course, Keke's fortunes would take a "slightly" dramatic turn the following year when he signed to drive a Williams and ended the season as WDC.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I like the guy on the far right holding what looks to be an oil can and a cigar in his mouth...

4. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1129 Zeus, Mar 10, 2013
    Dan Gurney's McLaren at the Glen in 1968. Hopefully Ron will give me another mulligan, as this photo predates the thread's entry requirement by 2 years. I debated not posting this photo because the front of the car isn't in the frame, but because it shows a few significant details in F1 development I decided to put it up. in late 1968 we saw the first generation of the rear wing. Note how flimsy it's attached. No electronic or driver activated controls, and no wickerbill or Gurney flap (actually named after you know who and debuted several years later) for this bad boy. After several wing-realted accidents, by the early 70's the F1 rules required rear wings to be rigidly fixed to the chassis. This photo also shows the first generation of the F1 sidepod, which started out as just a little bump. Lastly, note the totally useless rollbar. Not only is it way below Dan's helmet height, but it looks to be about one inch or less in diameter. I saw Formula V's in that era with better protection.

5. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Nobody noticed Elvis disguised as Bigfoot standing behind the couple. Elvis is a big F1 fan.

6. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1131 Zeus, Mar 13, 2013
    The above quote, together with a great pic of a young Linda Vaughn, was posted by Ron over 5 years ago on the 9th page of this great thread. It's post #173 and worth another look. As the undisputed queen of American racing, the ubiquitous Linda appeared at just about every major racing event in the US and Canada during the 20 years encompassed by this thread. Although now likely in her late sixties she's still doing her thing, no longer as racing queen but as a celebrity guest. I last ran into Linda at the 2011 SEMA Show in Vegas; she was all decked out, as usual, in a micro-skirt, plunging top, 6 inch stiletto heels, big hair, etc. I bet a lot of race fans didn't realize that in addition to being Miss Hurst Golden Shifter and racing celebrity extraordinaire, Linda went to the Bondurant Racing School, held a SCCA National Racing License and actually competed. If I remember correctly, I took this more mature pic of Linda at Montreal.

7. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1132 Zeus, Mar 18, 2013
    Reutemann, during his season as Mario's Lotus teammate, leading Piquet in the Brabham. Although mine is admittedly poor quality, I don't recall ever seeing a professional photo of this part of the course with the fans on the hill in the background. Back in the day you didn't have to pay a small fortune for a F1 ticket at Monaco, you could just show up and watch it for zip.

8. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1133 Zeus, Mar 21, 2013
    Tom Gloy driving a Ralt RT-1 on his way to winning the 1979 North American Formula Atlantic Championship. Tom's being pushed by Howdy Holmes in a March 79B. Howdy was the 1978 champion (Keke Rosberg was runner-up). It's somewhat blasphemous for me to post a photo from a Formula Atlantic race that doesn't show a Chevron dominating the action, but by 1979 most of the hot-shoes who drove Chevrons (as well as Gilles who drove a March) were firmly ensconced in F1. (I would insert a few of those smiley face icons here if I knew how.)

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not in my lifetime. I attended the GP in the mid-1970's and watched from the hillside beneath the palace, still had to pay general admission.

10. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Guess you're younger than me. As a teenager I remember sitting on a wall, about ten feet high, right at the entry of the Station Hairpin (it was a train station before the Loew's Hotel was built and then called the Loew's Hairpin) and the cars passed about 20 feet or so from my perch. You could actually see into the cockpit and watch the drivers (legends like Clark, Hill, Surtees, Brabham, McLaren, etc.) set up for the turn. Really cool...and all for free!

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's a scary dude there!!

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ah Linda Vaughn, what a woman! Even as she aged, she looked fantastic. I'm a major drag racing fan, and she was always present around the scene. Nice pic!

13. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #1138 RP, Mar 21, 2013
    The original version of the word "hot". And they were both natural.

Probably arlready told this story on this thread, but in case I did not.....I am in the Indy pits during qualifying, AJ Foyt just did his attempt. At Indy, when you finish your qualifying, you come into the pits, and you have to deal with the official photos.

Linda was standing next to me, calling out "AJ, AJ". He was trying to ignore her. I think the fourth time she called out for AJ, she lifted up her blouse exposing those incredible REAL breasts, and at that same time AJ actually looked at Linda. The laughter was loud, AJ turned as red as his car when he saw Linda. Well, Linda's beautiful breasts.

14. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1139 Zeus, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks. What I like best about my Linda Vaughn pic is the expression on Marco's face. I'd venture a guess that putting his arm around Linda could well have been the highlight of his racing career. That being said, there are a couple of things about Ron's pic that I like even better...

15. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1140 Zeus, Mar 26, 2013
    Today, March 26th, is Elio de Angelis and Didier Pironi's birthday. Both died way too young: Elio while testing in 1986, and Didier in a powerboat race in 1987. Elio would be 55 today and Didier 61, but like Peter Revson, Ronnie Peterson, Francois Cevert, Patrick Depailler, Gilles Villeneuve, Mark Donohue and others who died in racing incidents during this thread's era, for those of us who knew them personally, or just followed them as racing fans, they are frozen in time in our memory banks. I tried to find a photo of Elio and Didier in the same frame during the 4 years they competed together in F1, but the best I could muster were photos of them in the same corner. The first photo is Didier in the Ligier (leading Alan Jones), and the second is Elio in the Lotus.

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Way too young. Elio de Angelis was also an outstanding pianist - it's been said "concert level", proof of such here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUQC028wOo]Elio de Angelis - Piano performance at 1985 German GP - YouTube[/ame]

17. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence

Great post redefabri. Elio was not only an outstanding pianist, he was also an outstanding person. In Europe, F1 drivers are given rock star status and most carry themselves accordingly. Elio never bought into that, and always remained the same down to earth and unassuming guy he was in F2. In a thread started by someone a few years ago on the 25th anniversary of Elio's fatal crash at Paul Ricard, I offered a fond memory of going out to dinner with Elio in Buenos Aires before and after he finished 7th in his first ever F1 race (Argentina-1979). The night before the race you would have thought Elio was just another race fan having dinner--he had no inflated ego whatsoever. And after his remarkable 7th place finish, in a Shadow no less, he was still the same low-key humble young man. Elio kept up that persona throughout his tragically short-lived career.

18. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1143 Zeus, Mar 30, 2013
    Has anybody wondered why France stopped producing top F1 drivers? In the era covered by this thread there were many competitive French drivers who raced on top level teams, however lately there have been only a few French F1 drivers, none of whom can be considered competitive. No French driver has won a race since 1996 (Olivier Panis). The starting grids in the era of this thread were filled with competitive French drivers with names like Arnoux, Depailler, Pironi, Jarier, Jabouille, Cevert, Beltoise, Tambay, Lafitte, Alesi and Prost (4 time WDC). Often there were 6 or 7 French drivers in the field capable of a podium finish, if not a win. Those days are long gone.

I took this photo of one of my favorite French drivers (and cars): Jacques Lafitte in a Ligier.

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Many French drivers of that era worked their way up the ranks through Formula Renault.

20. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    ...as have many French drivers of the current era. The current crop of Pic, Vergne and Grosjean all went through Formula Renault, which kind of illustrates my point: France just doesn't grow 'em like they used to, and hasn't for many years.

21. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    This is the best thread on Fchat...period.

Thank you,
    LS

22. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #1147 Zeus, Apr 11, 2013
    This is an exclusive photo for FChat. It's Dan Gurney and Brock Yates on the winner's podium in the Redondo Beach Motel parking lot, which also served as parc ferme, following the finish of one of the greatest races in the period covered by this thread: the infamous Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash. No champagne was sprayed, we just stood around, waited for some others to finish, told war stories and relived the adventure.

The race, held in November of 1971, was from New York to LA. Dan and Brock won in a Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Daytona. I actually passed Dan during an ice storm in New Mexico when he and Brock stopped to deflate the Ferrari's tires for increased traction. However our lead, which lasted through most of Arizona, was short-lived as Dan, who hailed from California, knew an alternate route and brought the Ferrari to speeds up to 175 mph, enabling him and Brock to enter the history books as the race winners, finishing in 35:54. We finished third in 36:56, losing second place by 9 minutes, despite 15 fuel stops, 6 arrests (two at gunpoint) and a court appearance. I think I can safely say that I'm the only FChatter who not only who passed Dan Gurney in an actual race, but passed him like he was standing still.

23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Sweet Jesus!!! :eek:

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed