OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Jan 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Thanks, wish I knew where all the old slides and negs are located. I've got some great Jackie Stewart, Mark Donohue, Bobby Allison stories.

Somewhere I have a B&W of Stirling Moss in his driving suit exiting a portajohn. I waited, he came out, I shot, I ran.

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Saturday at the Glen I was shooting on top of the Tyrrell pits when Jackie Stewart came rushing in in 03. He grabbed a woman I later found out was Jean Piere Beltoise's wife, apparently Francois Cevert's sister, and his own wife Helen. They rushed off. You could feel it in the air, something was very wrong. When the word got out in the garage that Francois was decapitated, I felt sick, left the track for my hotel room. I think I heard that Jody Scheckter (?) stopped and got out and ran to Cevert's car, only to put his hands in horror on his helmet. My memory of that day is not good. Debated if I could ever go back to another race. Those damned double guard rails at the Glen claimed another life. Geez, I actually feel strange at this very moment as I write this. The only other race day that came close to being this bad was Indy, Swede Savage.

Stewart retired from F1 that Saturday. He became a major reason why driver safety became important after that. Some years later, on a Friday, a few of us walked the entire MidOhio course with Stewart as he instructed race promoters to remove trees, reposition guard rails, and they did it or there would be no race that weekend. So cool to watch Stewart in action. The race was a CanAm, and I believe Stewart was driving Jim Hall's vacuum cleaner.

Earlier that day back at the Glen, I sat with Cevert in the garage just BSing for about an hour. He was very approachable. I remember feeling like chopped liver as every woman that walked by stopped, and came up to Francois even if they never met him. He had incredible eyes. To these women I did not exist. There is no actor that could ever accurately portray a real life person as "cool" as a Francois Cevert. He was a movie all unto himself.

He would have been a WDC.

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #28 RP, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Two copyrighted photos of Brian Redman. The first is my very first mirror shot. This came about on a trip to Flagstaff, Arizona. I stopped to take a photo of the mountains, when the shot was developed, there was my rear view mirror with the image of an approachig semi. The idea was hatched.

Brian Redman at the F5000 at Road America, and Brian Redman in I believe his only appearance in the Penske PA CanAm car at Mid Ohio. (Both of these shots are being donated to the publisher of the upcoming Brian Redman book)

The third shot is at Mid Ohio at the best road race I have ever witnessed. This is a mirror shot of George Follmer with his UOP Shadow teammate Jackie Oliver passing by in the pits. This was the original Alonso/Hamilton duel. During the race, they dirt tracked these Shadow CanAm cars around Mid Ohio bumping into each other all the way around.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #29 RP, Jan 21, 2008
    Two last photos for the evening.

Mid Ohio TransAm with extreme gentleman Irv Hoerr leading in the Cutlass, followed by Han Stuck and Hurley Haywood in the Audis. In the back is PL Newman's Nissan avoiding a spinning car.

The Audis were fun to watch, stuck to the road even in the rain like slot cars. Stuck would yodel as he drove. Years later, we had Irv Hoerr's Cutlass, Baldwin's Camaro Skoal Bandit, and Kendall and Kneifel's ICI Chevy something (what was that thing?) at the grand opening of our hotel bar in St Pete, Florida.

Second shot is at the Miami GP when it was run in downton Miami. Car on left is Emerson Fittipaldi's return debut to racing prior to winning the Indy 500, the Kreepy car was driven by Sarel VM from South Africa.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Bernardo excellent!

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great thread great photo's

7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great pics Ron. About time you began to share with us ;)

8. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I could walk through my woods to Million Dollar Moran's house. Another local we are best friends with is Hartman. He just left the Chili Bowl to Fla for Speeds Weeks.

9. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I saw AJ at Mid-Ohio 3 wks. before his Elkhart Lake crash. He was not up to speed and probably should have already been retired. The following May, (or maybe a year later) we were on pit lane at Indy. Friday practice before qualifying. He went out, never got up to speed. Came in right in front of us and said "That's it". They announced he was retiring and he went out for 1 slow lap. Everyone stood and cheered.

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #35 Miltonian, Jan 22, 2008
    Can I fudge your 1970 starting point by a couple of months? This is about the only decent racing picture I ever took.

In October 1969, Roger Penske and Mark Donohue brought their Lola T150 out to Seattle International Raceway for the running of the Dan Gurney 200 in the USAC National Championship. At the end of qualifying, Mark found himself a full 5 seconds off the pace. Mark was used to running at the front. He was a winner. In this picture, he is trying to make sense of it all, telling Roger "That's all I can get out of it today!" About a minute later, I approached him for an autograph and he signed my program. I'm lucky he didn't stick the pen into my eyeball. In the first heat of the race, he was out after 11 laps with bent suspension. A weekend to forget for Mark.

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Your photo is more than decent, it is incredible. Thank you for posting this.

I am looking for my Mark Donohue photos. I have one from the first IROC race at Daytona in Porsches, he won. There are only two copies, mine and one that went to Penske. When you see it you will understand why. One of my favorite 5 photos I ever took.

I went to university with a Mark DonAhue in Dayton. Somehow my first year, I convinced Sunoco to let us have a retired Javelin displayed on campus. The yearbook that year has my friend Mark Donahue sitting in Mark Donohue's Sunoco Javelin.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #37 RP, Jan 22, 2008
  13. Necx0

Necx0 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This thread is just simply awesome Ron. I love the oversteer shot of Prost as well yellowbird. I'll shout you dinner somewhere sometime Ron just to hear your awesome stories!!

The cevert story is truly horrible. Such a shame

14. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Thank you so much for this thread, this is the best one in a long time. It brings back so many memories and reminds me why and how long I have been obsessed with cars and racing. The drivers during this period were true personailites and the sport was so much more dangerous. The mid to late 1970s are my favorite era of Formula 1 cars, but the safety and reliability of today are very welcome. We lost too many heroes during this period, but they sure were spectacular to watch. Caio, Bruce McLaren, Piers Courage, Jochen Rindt, Jo Siffert, Francois Cevert, Peter Revson, Mark Donohue, Tom Pryce, Ronnie Peterson, Patrick Depailler, Gilles Villeneuve and Elio DeAngelis. Thank you for your commitment and for sharing your special gift with us while you were here.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #40 RP, Jan 22, 2008
  16. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #41 Crawler, Jan 22, 2008
  17. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #42 Crawler, Jan 22, 2008
  18. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Sorry not my photos I alredy ask for delate my post :(

19. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
  20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    No, they are great photos, please leave!

21. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    BUT, one should NEVER post another person's work w/o giving credit!

22. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    Ron, great photos! Its great to see photos from the 70s and 80s and hope to see more. :)

23. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Fantastic pictures Ron, thanks so very much! I wish I had something to contribute!

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    You just did.

25. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #50 RP, Jan 23, 2008
    Start of a Canadian GP at Mosport.

I miss that track, and the Flying Dutchman motel. At this race, a friend took me to meet Emerson Fittipaldi. I remember him coming out of his trailer, McLaren Marlboro jacket and all, eating a bannana (appropriate since he used to own a bannana plantation in Brazil). At that moment the Canadian Snowbirds started their pre-race air show. Fixed wing jets with a show that made the Blue Angels look woosy. On one of their passes, two of the Snowbirds flew over the track cockpit to cockpit, like within 10 feet of each other, 100 feet over the ground. In other words, one of them was upside down.

Fittipaldi, removed the bannana from his mouth and simply stated in English, "these guys are crazy".

I forget who died that year or the year before, but I remember looking at him and thinking, that statement from an F1 pilot in this era?