odometer when restoring an old car | FerrariChat

odometer when restoring an old car

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ttforcefed, Sep 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so what's the best thing to do in ny state? if a car is older than 10 yrs they put mileage exempt on the title. so for a 1989 car where i'm doing nut and bolt restoration on, do i turn the odometer back to zero and declare that? or do i leave the odometer at 170,000 miles which will look out of place on a complete restoration? thoughts? experiences?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I wouldn't touch it .. declaring the actual mileage and showing the mileage when you finished it and of course all the work in pictures would be the way the go

If I was to buy something that is what I would want to see ..my two cents

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i hear that - pretty sure the restomod companies turn them back to zero.

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Remember that carfax will flag a major change in mileage as well ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    If it a total restoration is done to include a complete engine/trans overhaul and as you say every nut and bolt, then it is basically a new car that should start at zero. These days it seems most collectors pay up for things like original paint and patina, and with that originality including actual miles would be important. I restored an older vette, and the original speedo had broken so I had to replace it with a new one, I kept the old one and gave it to the new owner.

carnutdallas likes this.
  7. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Roll it back to Zero and disclose it. Nut and bolt resto on an exempt on a 31 year old car, make it feel new. Save the old speedo. Who cares about a CARFAX when you are dealing with an 80’s car!?!?

Anyone who believes it is original mileage (0-10,000) is a moron. You probably won’t put 10k on it in 10 years?

I have a 1986 Porsche with under 30k miles - documented with receipts, inspection reports and notes by the original owner and people still do not believe the miles and the condition supports its mileage. When you are a car person, you know these things and can judge the entirety of the car and owner. When you a wannabe internet warrior who buys stuff cause you can, but you can’t do (build), then you are the problem. Not the guy wanting to look down at is odo and enjoy his journey and not the 6 plus digits that got erased with all new parts.

Flame away :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    nothing to flame, this my feeling as well. not sure why NY state asks for mileage is true when they stampd "mileage exempt" on the front of the title anyway

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#9 dwhite, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    I bought a 100pt 65 XKE in 99. The mileage was 83K.

I think people's views have changed from then. I would buy a 100pt restored car with zero miles on the odo, but I would like to see all pics and a document stating the mileage at the resto.

Some things can't or won't be replaced, but are restored (ie: chassis metal) so if someone wants a car which had 30K on it vs 180K they can make that decision. Not saying the car with original 30k is better, but we all know how some people buy cars.

Hope you enjoy the car after its finished, that's the more important factor.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    AFAIK, in most of the (western) world societies changing odometer reading without disclosing and having government certified authority/entity to record/verify the change is basically illegal, not to mention unethical.
    This of course hasn’t stopped many doing it.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not sure why unethical and illegal keeps coming up. Nothing in my post ever suggested doing something illegal. New York State offers you a way to legally reset the odometer back to zero (TMU) and it does not include miles on titles of cars that are 10 years and older. I am doing a full nut and bolt restoration so the question is should it shows zero, or should it show 180,000

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    And i cld care less about carfax and it will be clear that the odometer went back to zero when the car was restored. Dont see any harm in that. If anything it will be clean to see both lives of the car.

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #13 TTR, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Sorry, my reply was intended more in general, not to imply something specific to you.

Every Country, State or jurisdiction has their own laws/regulations/rules about these things, but AFAIK, one can legally change the odometer reading for variety of reasons, including if the old one broke, can’t be repaired and therefor needs to be replace with a new (reading Zeros) or another used one with different reading, which both should be recorded, preferably by a State official (DMV, State Police, etc) or someone authorized by State (brake & light inspector, speedometer shop, etc).

As for the “restoration” side of your question, having personally performed multiple 5+ year, $300K-$500K level, a.k.a. “Complete/Full” restorations in the past 3+ decades, I’ve never attempted to roll back the odometer for two reasons.
    First, unethical.
    Second, not accurate since the basic car and all of its rebuilt/reconditioned/refurbished/restored components, whether the body, frame, speedometer/odometer, door latch return spring, etc still have been subjected to “180,000”(?) miles, not to mention years or decades of life & use.
    In other words, IMO, zeroing the odometer during restoration or for the sake of novelty basically equals to fraud.
    But as I said earlier, lots of people do it though.

Only time zero odometer reading would make make sense is if the subject vehicle is fully assembled from all brand new (a.k.a. NOS) parts, including every nut, bolt, clip, rivet, body panel, frame, trim, etc., which in most post-war production cars equates to far more than hundred thousand individual bits and pieces.
    OTOH, a car assembled from all (spare) parts wouldn’t have factory assigned VIN and therefor couldn’t be considered authentic, original or real anyway. Catch-22