O/T: Advice on Aussie moving to Denver? | FerrariChat

O/T: Advice on Aussie moving to Denver?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Iggy_Type_R, Dec 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iggy_Type_R

Iggy_Type_R Karting

May 16, 2004
    #1 Iggy_Type_R, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Hi chaps, long time member here, from Melbourne Australia - but not for long I think! :) Business merger with a Denver based large US company and subsequent expansion to USA is making me look at a move to Denver for my family and I so I thought I'd ask "real people" living there for some recommendations if that's OK with you all?

I am in the golf industry, so looking at settling down in the areas between Cherry Hills CC and Glenmoor CC. In fact there's a house for sale right now in Glenmoor CC that is making me drool (guys the prices in Cherry Hills Village/Englewood area are 1/5th of Melbourne!!! I can't believe my eyes. Anyway I digress ... we are expecting our first addition to the family in 8 weeks so next year is going to be full on ... so any advice on:
    1. Areas to live (is Englewood a nice area?) for a young family - looking at day care/schools/easy medial access/good Drs, etc
    2. Any areas that are especially interesting for new mums (like areas with nice cafes/outdoor boutique malls/funky bookshops ??)
    3. What's it like dealing with Realtors here? I come from a fairly strong haggling background but I know different areas have different attitudes to negotiation :)
    4. What's the cost of household help? as in a full time person to manage the household?

What are your favourite things about living in Denver and what are the biggest draw backs?

For me it's a bit easier - golf and exotic cars always leads to great friendships and entertainment!

2. rfwf430

rfwf430 Rookie

Nov 3, 2013
    Englewood, CO
    Iggy Type R, for a Melbournite moving to Denver there will be a big change--there is Winter here and we are about to go into it. There is a fairly large Aussie community here. Your inquiry is too large to use this particular venue. I live not far from from your targeted areas. I helped formed the Australian-American Chamber ( no longer exists, but there is a social group that followed). My wife is a real estate broker in a small boutique that specializes in the areas that you are interested in--it is different here. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested in continuing this chat--I'll also refer you to my wife for many of your questions. Make sure your transfer package includes a good healthcare insurance package as it is not national health care here. Assies have a lot of fun here. Bob Wilson

3. Ag N Au

Ag N Au Rookie

Feb 11, 2009
    CHV, CO
    Iggy Type R -

In reference to your questions:

1. In terms of housing, big difference between Englewood and Cherry Hills Village (CHV). I assume that you are referring to CHV as you indicate Glenmoor (we are members there - very kid friendly but with an extensive wait list). Our boys are older so can't comment on daycare now but good schools, both public and private - Cherry Hills Elementary, SMA, Kent. Don't know of doctors practicing in CHV but certainly nearby.

2. Cherry Creek has plenty of cafés and the mall. Very convenient, just north on University.

3. Market still is not that liquid here so room to negotiate. Edie Marks at Kentwood is one of the most experienced when it comes to CHV.

4. We pay our maids around $15 per hour.

I have lived in Denver for 25 years aside from a couple in Sydney in the nineties. Certainly significant population growth and public transportation infrastructure has not kept up, but compared to major cities still not bad. We are spoiled when it comes to the weather and if you like the outdoors, proximity and access to the mountains is excellent. Numerous Aussies in the Denver area, have a few working for me. Plenty of exotic cars in CHV as well.

4. Iggy_Type_R

Iggy_Type_R Karting

May 16, 2004
    Thanks Ag, yes Bob mentioned the small mistake I made with suburb names! :)

I really loved Denver when I was there last year, I will have a few scouting trips next year before settling down, so will check out the the area in more detail. Thanks again Bob and Ag for the info! :)

5. IAmNotCasey

IAmNotCasey Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Casey Duncan
    Englewood is quite urban, but yet not right in Denver proper, for my money I'd live right off downtown (e.g. LoDo) if I wanted something that urban. However I live in Parker which is still reasonably close to Denver, but also has placed to tie off your horse (as in real not prancing) at the local farm supply store. Parker has some extremely nice properties, great schools generally (I have 3 kids I n school now) but would be a longer commute to Denver of course than from cherry hills. However, if you wanted more expansive property it is worth considering.

Parker is about 15 minutes from highlands ranch, where there is lots of shopping. You might also consider that area as well.

6. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Iggy, certainly some great advice from the others here and spot on. I think a lot depends on your personal style and more specifically, where exactly in the metro your office will be. Denver can be a real pain in the neck to commute around, so that will help define areas for you.

We live in Castle Rock and it is BOOMING. Seems to be the new family capital of the nation and if you will be new parents (congrats on that), you will have no trouble finding others in the same point in their life.

Quite a few exotics down here, and we're on the end of town where Ferrari of Denver is (it's a short jaunt up to Highlands Ranch).

CR is not yet a spot where there is a significant amount of "boutique" type shopping, but that seems to be catching up with growth.

We are in Douglas County, and I suspect you will hear a great deal about the various counties and what the public schools offer. In Castle Rock we are also building numerous charter schools, which floats the boat of a lot of people (turns into P&R, so I'll skp that part) but we are a founding family of one that we just broke ground on. Lot's of great choices here.

There is an inordinate amount of golfers here (I am not one), and we do have courses that I can name for you but certainly am not an expert on. They include Bear Dance just south in Larkspur, Plum Creek CC here in the Rock, Castle Pines CC a couple minutes from me, Red Hawk Ridge also a couple minutes (the other direction) from me, and The Ridge at Castle Pines North.

If you cycle, run, hike, or are in any way outdoor inclined, you should look seriously at this area. The majority of this town is planned community, and most include pool facilities for their respective neighborhoods. We use "The Grange". Also a couple of nice rec centers. New or newer homes anywhere from mid 3's to whatever you want. Seriously nice places under $1M. You can do really really well for 5, just depends on what you want.

New hospital and the 5280 pediatrics that we go to we have no complaints. They are very respectful of our choices with our children's health. Plus the hospital is in the middle of town more or less.

Java shops, some local and not bad, local owned restaurants with super food. Everything is near enough.

Drawback is, downtown commute is difficult. But if you work in the tech center it's really convenient. Airport commute not bad as you can zip around the tollway, or, in 2016 (maybe???) use the train and park at the Lone Tree station.

The things you would like to do in Cherry are not that much of a hike away, but the feel of where you live is definitely different.

We have a great real estate agent who works by referral only. When you get closer to a trip let me know and I'll pass on her info. Negotiating is fair game, unless you are buying a brand new place that you build.

Phew! Chat with you soon.

7. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Oh, and forgot, we have au pair care, but unsure, if you are migrating here yourself, how that will work. Plenty of options for in home or out of home care.