NY Ferrari Concours | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NY Ferrari Concours

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by BassMan, Oct 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should there be a Judged Ferrari Concourse on Long Island?

1. Absolutely!

2. Not Interested

3. It would put too many miles on my Ferrari

4. I'm afraid of what the judges may find

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I'm in North Jersey but have often wondered why the immediate NYC area doesn't have a sanctioned FCA event. I've always attended (and judged) at Reading and the GSFFF, but those are Penn-Jersey events; actually, that region is the only one in the country with two annual events. Reading is now gone, replaced by the Simeone Museum venue, which is great, but a bit of a haul for those of us near NYC. I'd love to see a true Concours (where owners can learn about their cars and the ways to improve and preserve them) replace the many social gatherings passing as judged events. I would recommend speaking with Dave North and Barry Cross; they've been putting on the Penn-Jersey Region events for years...

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #27 msdesignltd, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heres Links to the closest thing you are thinking of..all marques though..
    I entered the inaugural in 2005..Wolman skate ring in Central Park..Magnificent backdrop.
    Was one of the most prestigeous potential events ever..Pebble beach level..in the making.
    Maybe you can learn what not to do from these links as it was a financial disaster, never to be held again.
    It may just be a better idea to put on a TRI MARQUE event..Ferrari Lambo and Maserati..get FOLI involved..
    or all italian ..like the Pocono weekend in July to ensure longevity..how can you have the same F cars come back year after year..need to diversify Marques..otherwise this will be a one hit wonder.
    Gonna need a charity/ies involvment as well..Breast cancer/autism/ alzheimers...etc..
    Manhassett is a success because of its diversity....think big!!!..its free because of the sponsors..
    And of course , gonna need Jim G. to bring the P4 as an attraction!!!
    Maybe...Just Maybe, we could get Ralph Lauren to sponsor it and hold it at the Montauk Lighthouse parking lot on Memorial day weekend...???
    His cars are just 2 miles away..Whoa, would that be something..his cars on display.

New York City Concours d'Elegance at Wollman Rink in Central Park

http://www.***************.com/event/93/2005-New-York-City-Concours-d-Elegance.html

http://www.**************/gallery/119513/8/5.html

My 512bbi in bottom right corner won Best 1975 to 1985 Ferrari GT!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I am encouraged by the response so far. Clearly there is an interest however, as many pointed out, a great deal of planning and work would have to go into it. Based on the people that I have met over the years, we certainly have the necessary talent, experience and connections to mount this effort.

Steve will reach out to FCA and see if there is an interest in participating. If not we can still do it but it would be more difficult since they have experience and infrastructure to help support this.

Pending the outcome of those discussions, please PM me with your Name, Email and Phone # if you would like to participate in the planning and realization of this event. I will compile a list and we can schedule a meeting to share ideas and start some planning.

This is an idea who's time has come and I am confident that we can pull it off given participation from those interested.

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Great info Michael. And that BBi is gorgeous!!
    All great info here. It will be a monumental task but I will have a captive audience at the upcoming board meeting. I will let them know of the interest and see if we can get the ball rolling.

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

There was a Louis Vitton concours in 96 at Rockefeller Center. Several of Ralph Laurens cars were there and it had only the "best of the best" on display. It died also and I don't know why.

Cavalier is the preeminent Ferrari concours in the US. My guess, as is it takes loads of time to make a car concours ready and most people who are showing their car can only make a certain number of events. So getting a show off the ground and having some significant cars in attendace is the real challenge.

I agree, sponsorship and a great charity are critical for these things to happen and be successful. Prestige is what drives the best cars to the events. People who go to top concours events want to win at the best shows.

6. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy

Dave you made a good point. I think this would take time to grow to anything near Cavallino. We will need to start small and work our way up over time. Similar to our weekly Bagels and Ferraris the first time there were 4 of us now we have 15 to 20 each week with new ones coming each week

It will take work and patience to grow this to a premiere event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
  8. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    This is definitely an idea whose time has come.
    Count me in to bring cars and to volunteer my time in any way to help out.

9. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Toughest part, I think, is finding the right venue and the right time of year to avoid conflicts. FCA judging guidelines exist, as do people who are familiar with them and have experience judging.

10. rdella

rdella Rookie

Oct 2, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Rob D.
    This is a great idea, I'm in.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

We had our FCA board meeting this morning. Looks like the best way we can get this going is to see if we can get in at this Westbury Gardens concours again. Anyone have any contact info or know anyone in the Mercedes or Porsche club? I believe I can get the ball rolling on this.

12. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
  13. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
  14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If Anyone can get this Lead zeppelin off the ground...Its you Steve..!!
    We are all behind you..!

I will start waxing my car now!

15. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Thanks Michael! Will do my best to get something off the ground. But we need some competition with the likes of you out there!

16. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    This.

I am out of the F car game, but when I was putting together my little shows there was never any problem getting participants and venues. The Ferrari name is the password.
    A LI event can, and should, be huge.

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Update. I spoke with the director of the Westbury Gardens show. I'm going to a meeting they have next month. They would love to have the FCA participate! Looks like this will happen for 2016! Keeping fingers crossed.

18. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Steve, very excited to see that we are going to make this happen.

The Westbury Garden show is a very nice event and this is a good way for us to get this started since they have a built in infrastructure for us to add Ferraris to.

Looking forward to it, let me know how I can help!

19. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When you get everything secured...I want to try something..
    I am in the Fashion Industry in NYC...Ralph is one of my Clients..
    I do have many friends up there..
    I will get a message to him that a noble cause is in the works...
    Maybe..no promises as he is a very recluse guy and surrounded by layers of people who you have to go through first...Maybe he could send a car or two..
    I am sure he would look kindly if a charity is involved..
    I will research what are his fav charities...

Maybe he could send a pontoon fendered Testarossa...or a GTO.....Olomagata..Oh my Goda

20. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

This would be sooooo amazing. I'm looking forward to the meeting and getting this thing rolling. The amount of Ferraris in the NY area is mind boggling. We should have an great turnout right off the bat.

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am meeting with Great Marques Concours board members on Jan 6. The president of the Empire State Region FCA is coming with me as well.
    The wheels are in motion!

22. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Damn F Chat...where's the Like Button!!!

23. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My preliminary investigation shows that Ralph Lauren's dearest project Is a Cancer research and treatment center in his namesake,in East Harlem..
    About Us - Ralph Lauren Center for Cancer Care

This would be an angle to get his attention..
    Not saying I can do it by myself..
    Just laying some cards on the table..
    possibly a show to benefit such an institution would soften the kings heart..

where theres a will theres a way!!!

24. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Thanks for this info Michael. I will be sure to bring it up at the board meeting.

And I wonder which one of your awesome Ferraris you will be bringing to the concours?? Tough competition for us all.

25. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

For sure my 94 512TR
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7khN76TKQw