NSX Road Trip | FerrariChat

NSX Road Trip

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NbyNW, Jun 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Heading west for an extended road trip. A few months ago we decided to do this and everything fell into place. Got a friend to house sit so that took care of home-front worries. Then on to planning.

You’ll remember I sold my Trailex back in January. Bad decision. Then lots of car shopping and the NSX became the choice. Fantastic car and reliable. Something we could jump in, head out, and not worry about issues or drama.

With the NSX in the garage talks about trips turned to heading west, so I bought a new Trailex and it arrived a few weeks ago.

Yesterday I loaded up the NSX... then today the two dogs, wife, lots of stuff and hit the road. Will haul it to Rapid. Unload it there and have fun in the Black Hill and into Wyoming.

I’ll post pics as I can. We’ll see how this trip goes - I might have another lightly used Trailex for sale soon!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Somewhere in Ohio. Outside of Indianapolis now.

Our 2015 Expedition eco boost pulls it great. No problems except really bad roads. Constantly dodging holes. Going around Indianapolis in heavy traffic I had to do a couple quick small swerves to miss giant holes. The anti-sway kicked as I went over rough road, scared the hell out of me. Truck was fine, straight and steady, but I thought I blew a tire. Some really bad roads out there. Quarter mile down the road a guy was on the shoulder with a mangled tire.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ryan S. and Jo Sta7 like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Epic trip! Have fun. Stay safe.
    T

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sounds like a fun trip!

5. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Sweet. need more nix pics! Is it blue or black?

6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

No NSX pics today... it’s still trailered (and it’s black, not blue). Get to Rapid tomorrow and unload. Then some car pics - can’t wait for some drives there!

The drive across Illinois and Iowa was tedious and challenging. Strong head and cross winds. Wow. Moving around slower big trucks and others, while staying out of they way of everyone else made me pay attention! Never felt dangerous, just had to focus. Not a kicked back relaxing drive. Lucky traffic was pretty light. And roads were much better!

Gas mileage kept dropping pushing through the wind - truckster indicated range on a full tank, 33 gallons, dropped to 235 miles. 7 mpg. Ouch. Need to do the math from receipts for exact numbers, but should be close. Every 2 hours about 20 gallons.

Didn’t even see any fun cars today. Mainly Audi’s, BMW 3-Series, and a Model S east bound in the middle of Iowa. Lots of fancy diesel Super Duty’s and Silverado’s just driving with no loads. Same with 1/2 ton trucks too.

One surprise.... sorry, not car related. Mackinaw Dells rest stop in Illinois. They created a prairie restoration area with wildflowers and mowed walking paths. Pretty extensive and very nice. Good break to stretch everyone’s legs!

Car stuff tomorrow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gmaccormack likes this.
  7. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Subscribed rgva - enjoy every hour of your road trip! Photos appreciated!!!

8. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    love the plate :)

looks like a fun adventure.

12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks. Thought the plate fit the car.

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

16. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    NbyNW likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

In Sioux City near the hotel was a L&C museum/center. We got there too late. Walked around and really nice. What an incredible journey they took.

20. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Just down the road 20 miles or so. Hill City is a good stop too. Amazing roads in that area.

21. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We’ve been to the visitors center and would love to tour the lab facilities here. Repurposed the old Homesteak mine for physics research. See if we have time. In Lead, SD.

http://sanfordlabhomestake.com/science

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We didn't see that, I don't recall. We took 80 across Kansas, then north through Nebraska because I wanted to see Carhenge! The wife and I were towing a 17' trailer, so we had her truck. Great roads to drive even in a pickup in SD and ventured to Devil's Tower in WY. Can't wait to see the NSX in action. Enjoy...T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Is that the place with the huge vat of carbon tet to capture a neutrino? Very nerdy fun! Me like!
    T

24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Science geek here too, but I had to Goggle that for the history lesson and yes, 1968 at the Homestake mine.

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~larson/Webpage/neutrinos.html

“The first experiment to attempt to detect electron neutrinos from the sun was conducted by a detector in the bottom of the Homestake mine in South Dakoda in 1968.”

Better site for Sanford Labs.
    https://www.sanfordlab.org/experiment/davis-experiment

Think a drive over there is needed! And if anyone goes to Sturgis, Lead is only 30 min away...