Now issues.. | FerrariChat

Now issues..

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Jul 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Changed out the spark plugs today. Other than the awkwardness of getting to some of them I felt it went straight forward. No issues removing or reinstalling plugs or extenders. Installed NGK DR8EAs, I know many use Iridium, in fact that's what came off the car but my research and advice from Eugenio led me to these. I'd forgotten another mechanic had replaced them so hence the iridiums on there.

Used some copper anti seize, very little and kept away from end. Torqued to 15 ft lbs, then loosened, then retorque to 12 per manual. Went on easily. Old ones clean, looked good and consistent.

Checked all extenders and measured resistance, zero for all. No cracks or burn marks. Dielectric silicone on both ends of extender then into wire boot and on to spark plug. I'm confident that all are fully in place and fully into each boot except number 1 front was a bit loose boot to extender.

What I'm I missing here? It started right up but ran rough right away and continued to do so. Any concerns with too much or little silicone?

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Did you gap the plugs?

3. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Checked them all, they were all at .025" per manual

4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Might just check to see what the iridiums were set at. Or a mix up in plug wires. DOn't ask me how I know.

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They seem to be .030. But they're a hotter plug, right, so larger gap maybe appropriate?

6. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Are you certain ALL of the extenders have completely snapped onto the plug, especially the more difficult to reach back bank?

Edit: Sometimes it feels like they have but really aren't which may be causing it to run rough unless you did something other than change the plugs. I am aloso assuming the plug wires were put back in the right order. Probably difficult to mess that up given the specific lengths.

7. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm fairly certain all are in place. There is that certain feel they give when finally sliding into place. You feel the thread sliding on the extender externals. I'm redoing them again just to be sure. If a cylinder is not igniting, the plug would probably be wet, right? Pulled 4 so far, none wet, all at .025" gap. I'll post my findings once complete.

Wires in right places as I completed one cylinder before moving on to the next.

8. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Also I put extenders in boots then onto plugs, that's how you guys do it?

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    You said number 1 front bank extender was loose. Was it loose when you removed it?

10. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    when you test the resistance, make you test from the distribtor terminal to the end of the extender, and wiggle the wire as it enters the cap (to make sure its a solid connection), and also flex the extender and see if the resistance shorts out.

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes, the boot came out leaving the extender. But, not the second time I removed it when I started rechecking everything. And the car was running well before I started. But, the metal connector in the boot was definetly not looking as good as the others. But, if that's the issue wouldn't I have found gas on the plug tip when I pulled it?

Didn't want to get into wires right now but maybe I should try to recrimp the wire into the boot. Is this difficult to do?

12. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    You may be able to see a wet plug but you might be getting an intermittent fire from the loose connection. I would try and gently crimp the boot connection.

If the car was running fine prior to your plug change and you didn't do any additional maintenance I cant think of any other obvious reasons why it would be running rough.

13. marcro

marcro Karting

Oct 25, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark Cross
    I have accidentely cracked the insulator on a plug reinstalling it so you could check the plugs themselves for signs of arcing/damage. And believe it or not I have gotten a 'bad' plug before.

14. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Also a good possibility...

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW and not related to the misfire - a "hot" spark plug doesn't produce any more or less spark than a "cold" spark plug. There is no gap setting difference between a hot or cold plug in the same engine. The energy of the ignition system determines how much gap can be reliably jumped at maximum combustion chamber pressure.

Hot and cold as it relates to plugs refers simply to the ability of the plug tip/electrode to transfer heat generated by combustion from the tip/electrode to the cyl head via the spark plug threads. THe idea is to keep the plug at a temp hot enough to burn off deposits but not hot enough to cause damage to the electrodes or cause preignition. Higher combustion chamber pressure/temp require a spark plug that can transfer more heat...a "colder" plug...than one with lower combustion chamber pressure/temp.

16. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    That's interesting Mike. So if I understand you correctly, a "colder" plug is better for the 308? I'm concluding this since our combustion chambers are high pressure/high temp so we want to maximize heat transfer to the head?

17. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Phil, it's not about maximizing heat transfer, it's about an ideal amount of heat transfer. Too little and the plug ends melt, too much and they carbon foul. Ok those ARE the extremes but you get the idea.

If you used the same extenders, which it seems that you did, you may have broken/fractured/stressed one and it is now a bear to find. If nothing else is working, remove plug wires one at a time and see which cylinder is causing the problem.

Lester

18. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Jeff,
    Check to make sure you did not bump off a vacuum line or sensor wire or....

:)

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Phil, it's not about maximizing heat transfer, it's about an ideal amount of heat transfer."

Exactly right. Obviously any plug is a compromise because conditions in the engine vary dramatically from idle to WOT in top gear and a plug has to be able to function satisfactorily under all conditions. That's why GENERALLY when an engine is used for racing/track, it is pretty common to use a slightly colder plug because the combustion temps are much higher under those load conditions than they are for street use.

But if you left the plugs in that you used for racing/track, it would tend to foul in street use because the tip/electrode would transfer heat too effectively to stay hot enough to burn off deposits.

20. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't think so but still need to check 3 front plugs. Used a plastic tube connected to plug to "gently" insert them to hand tight then tightened to specs. I think it's probably that one poor connector on front bank but not sure how to fix without replacing all wires. Maybe just squeeze closed the connector so it's a tighter fit....

21. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm not really seeing any issues from further probing other than its running rough. I suspect it's front bank #1 wire to extender connection as its shaky looking but unsure. I'm planning to remove the caps and test further, and have been in discussion with Dave Helms about rebuilding mine, probably time if I've got everything off.

My question now is removing the caps straight forward? Looks like three screws each and off they come with wires. Correct?

What about the wire to the coils? Is it just as simply pull them off. What do the clips on the side of the boot do at the coils, need to depress?

Thanks for all the responses. Jeff

22. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Jeff,

Removal of the caps is straightforward. The most difficult part can be sliding off the rubber boot. There is a cork gasket that may need to be replaced after you remove the distributor via the three screws.

The wires in the cap are held in place by small brass screws. If I remember correctly I believe there is a small cap over the wire in the center.

The two coil wires slide off and yes you need to either depress or pull out on the clips. Just go gently and you will figure it out.

Can you take a pic of the shaky looking wire to the extender. If I were you I would see if I could make that connection tight by gently crimping the connection.

I purchased a length of plug wire from Dave and built my wires myself. Not difficult to do.

If you need me to go verify how the coil wires are removed let me know and I will take a trip to the garage.

23. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    whoa, before you start rebuilding things.....

Before doing anything, I would test the extenders again. I konw you did already, but retest them flexing them a little to see if one shorts out while flexing. Pull the plugs to see if one is fouled/wet, and start with that exender.

if you want to test the whole dizzy cap/wire system then:

pull off the caps, but leave the distributor in place for the time being.

The caps come off with three screws and they only go back on the distributor one way. Once you have the cap off, I would visually inspect it for cracks and worn terminals where the rotor is gouging into the terminal. Also, inspect the rotor for cracks and general wear.

Once the cap is off, test the resistance from the copper terminal inside the cap, all the way to the end of the extender, wiggling the wire gently as it enters the cap to make sure you have good continuity.

If it ran fine before you changed the plugs, chances are
    1) you gapped the plugs wrong (double check)
    2) an extender is shorted
    3) you disturbed a wire/connection somewhere between the distributor and the extender

i would check that before rebuilding anything, my two cents.

Good luck, be patient and have fun.

24. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks, I figured that's all there is to it. Rubber boots are torn on front and missing on rear so have new ones already and was planning replacement when in for timing belts and other. I assumed that the wires would have to be removed from the caps to replace the boots but maybe not? Be easier to leave attached to the cap if connections are fine and I don't end up replacing, but not sure the wires can be fed in from the other end.

I'll get a picture tomorrow of the questionable connection.

Thanks so much for the guidance.

25. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the help. As far as testing with flexing the extender, do you mean attached to ignition but detached from plug with car running or bench testing?

Gaps were checked, all we're supposed to be stock at .025 and seemed to be that as my gauge slid through with minimal resistance at .025. Is this more sensitive than I'd expect?