Nostalgia: Games That Made An Impression On You | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nostalgia: Games That Made An Impression On You

Discussion in 'Technology' started by REMIX, Dec 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Haha! I recall having something like that as a kid!

Also had this way cool scrolling car game with steering wheel attached to a plastic car that sat on top of the rolling screen and it would detect if you crashed and had a right light crash animation.

I wish I could recall the name of it.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I remember that, but can't remember the name either.

3. dream34

dream34 Karting

May 31, 2005
    New Orleans, La.
    #28 dream34, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I was growing up there was a U-tote-M about two blocks from my house that had a Defender and a Centipede, later they were replaced by a Pac-Man and a the Atari Star Wars. In addition, about 1 1/2 miles away was an arcade which had about 20-30 arcade games and 4-5 pinball machines. I must have dumped $100's of lawn mowing money into those things. Heck, I fondly remember when every Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, and most Grocery Stores had 2-3 arcade games up front, what great days those were. Still to this day I prefer the arcade games and pinball machines of my youth to anything the XBox, Playstation, or the PC has to offer. Some of my favorites were Pac-Man, Centipede, Robotron 2084, Pole Position, and Phoenix. I also really enjoyed Firepower pinball and Flash Gordon, which was the first talking pinball machine. Currently I have a Pac-Man, Centipede and Flash Gordon pinball in the garage, and I'm looking for Firepower and a Robotron. Funny as it sounds I play those games more often than anything on my PS3, which logs most of it's hours as a Blu-Ray.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #29 bpu699, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    You know... these threads make me want to cry... It feels like eons have passed, and I can't believe how young I used to be...

Best memories of all time...

Space Invaders, played in the corner bar when I was 7 or 8. Bar owned by neighbor, kids ran in and out all of the time... Today, the bar owner would get arrested...

Asteroids. The pre-teen years. Mom sent me to the store to get milk, while she sat in the car. Bought milk...then played asteroids. The crowd around the game was always 5 deep. Spent 3-4 dollars, and then my mom grabbed me by the nape of my neck, dragging me outside the store...

Tempest...early highschool. Cousin figured out how to play using a paperclip up the coin slot. My misguided youth at the Mr.Sub store brings me back to the best years of my life...

Highschool...had 3 videogames in the waiting area...Track and Field and Galaga were the best. I still remember my buddies faces, as we were deciding whether to go to class, or keep playing...

The joys our kids will never know. I remember running to the new mall that just opened. There was that great food court with the awesome ARCADE!!!! I spent every saturday there...then went to the big screen theater across from the food court...

Best years of my life...it took so litlle to be happy. You had free food, free housing, and an unlimited budget (or whatever you could beg for from mom and dad)...

We have become such an antisocial society. Now, you play videogames at home...by yourself...

Someone hand me a napkin please...

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I used to collect full size video games. I finally quit doing so when I got tired of nursing along electronics that are 20 years past their designed failure date. MAME does pretty good, except for the ones that really require custom controllers: Sinistar, Spy Hunter, etc.

Pinball was the replacement, and at one point I had over 20 pins in the house. A lot of fun, they've all faded due to the whole homeless situation :D

When I get space again I'm rebuilding the pin collection.

6. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I had one of those, was my favorite toy for a long time!

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've found the console that has the best (most like the arcade) version of games like defender, centipede, Pac man, Robotron, missle command, Qix and others is the Atari 400/800.

For Robotron the Atari 5600..i bought one just to play this game since the 400 doesn't have it.

The Atari 2600 versions were cheeper looking and didn't have the same gameplay. For example space invaders on the 2600 has orange invaders that are bigger than the arcade version and the cement barriers fall apart with one or two bullets. The bullets are big and slow instead of those laser slivers that shot out of your gun with that cool sound. Later retro versions of these games always alter or try to update the gameplay/graphics but the 400/800 computers have most of the old classics dead-on to the arcade version.

One exception is Asteroids..even the 400/800 has those pastel colored asteroids and doesn't have the vector graphics for the little space ship. I can't stand when it explodes instead of the three little lines breaking apart in the arcade version. I can only play this game when/if i can find an old arcade game still working.

8. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #34 SPEEDCORE, Jan 6, 2010
  9. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Whoa.

I just looked up "Tomy" on ebay, and that was a blast from the past. I forgot the "Waterfuls" entirely.

11. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Haha very cool. I remember mine being in red though, so I wonder if it was something different. Also, I had a Tomy tronic 3-D shown above, too!

12. Son of Jedi

Son of Jedi Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Death Star
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    So, quick question from the "Tech 2.0" generation kid - Those Nintendo DS looking things, what were they called and were the games interchangeable?

Jeremy

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    What does a "Nintendo DS" look like?

Perhaps you could add the ones you're wondering about to your post?

Most of the earliest handhelds didn't have interchangeable games.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  15. Son of Jedi

Dec 30, 2009
    Death Star
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #41 Son of Jedi, Jan 6, 2010
  16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #42 SPEEDCORE, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    Please don't say Tech 2.0 ever again! Web 2.0 is annoying enough!! :eek:

You would be Tech at least 10.1.1.2.1 haha. :eek:

Consoles are up to 7th gen at the moment! These handhelds have been around since 1979.

I guess you are talking about the Game & Watch series from nintendo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_%26_Watch none of the games were interchangable. Looking on ebay they are going for around $250 each!!

We didn't get interchangeable games(for handhelds) till the late 80's with the Lynx/Game Gear/Gameboy. Original Gameboy wasn't even colour the other 2 were.

17. Son of Jedi

Dec 30, 2009
    Death Star
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Haha, I'll be sure not to use anything "2.0" anymore.

These are exactly what I was referring to. Wow, it's amazing how far gaming has come. I wonder if my original DS will be worth $250 30 years from now...

18. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Who knows! but make sure you keep the boxes! haha :eek:

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    finally found an arcade-like Asteroids on a retro game cartridge for the Game Boy SP. Has pong (impossibly hard to beat) and yars revenge too. What's cool about the Asteroids is that it is just like the original arcade version or if you want a little variety a push of the start button puts a cool milky way background graphic without changing the game.

2muchfun and all for $3 (used)

20. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Eight Ball!

Wow, seeing that gives me an adrenaline rush. My favorite pin of my "arcade" youth!

21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Doom II really got me into gaming, and also guns.
    I also spent a lot of time on Quake and Quake II.
    I never played or got into multiplayer until Weapons Factory, which was a mod for QII and it blew my mind.

Other games that have affected me- Infiltration. It was a mod for Unreal Tournament. Everything was ultra realistic. Iron sights, one to two hits and your are dead, no ammo count. Brilliant.

And the most amazing game ever made: Final Fantasy VII. I don't need to explain that one, as those that have played know what I am on about.

22. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Just curious if any of you have a Nintendo Wii? In the Nintendo virtual marketplace you can buy classic games for NES, SNES, Sega Genesis etc. Just need a credit card and internet connection, wifi is built in on the Wii.

My favorite games:

Super Mario Brothers
    F-Zero
    Zelda (gold cartridge!)
    Track and Field
    Duck Hunt
    Eco the Dolphin

One summer while I was in college, a friend and I memorized all of the original Super Mario Brothers and could literally play through the entire game in about 5 minutes. I can still do the first level without even looking at the TV.

23. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Eight ball pinball got me through my first year of college with my sanity in tact (sort of).

Loved it.

24. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I can't believe no one has mentioned these games yet:

Warcraft 2!

Tie-Fighter / X-Wing series

Monkey Island series

Dark Forces / Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight (especially online multiplayer)

Castles 2