Nostalgia: Games That Made An Impression On You | FerrariChat

Nostalgia: Games That Made An Impression On You

Discussion in 'Technology' started by REMIX, Dec 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#1 REMIX, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1. SubLogic and then later - Microsoft's Flight Simulator.

I still own all versions, from the original Apple ][ version in the box, to the subsequent Mac versions, to the current ones on PC (95/98/00/04, etc). I now have a yoke and rudder pedals. First experience with this was probably 1987. I have a pilot's license now...wouldn't have happened without MFS.

2. Maxis - SimCity

One of the other games that I would sit hours playing on my Mac Plus. Circa 1990. I have the most current version as well.

3. Silicon Beach - Dark Castle

1989. OMG...how many hours wasted on my Mac running around in a 2D dungeon? Too many.

4. Brøderbund - Myst

Awesome quasi-3D experience (at the time). Would run on the new CD-ROMS. Very cool steam-punk graphics. Played this constantly and got through the whole thing! 1993 or so.

5. Origin - System Shock

Shoot 'em up game set in a space station. I don't remember much other than being completely addicted to this game. Probably 1993-1994 or so. One of the first games that referred to "cyberspace" as the player would have to "jack in" to the server and collect electronic messages.

6. id - Doom/Doom II

Chainsaw! Nothing more needs to be said! 1994 - 1995 or so.

7. id - Quake

Just the peak for me in 1996-1997. Online multiplayer, look up/down/sideays. All kinds of fun servers with custom levels. Never really took to Quake II like I did Quake I. Halo was the closest thing and that took 5 years to come out after the fact.

Below is a partial shot of my FS collection. I have more in storage.

Anyone else want to reminisce?

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    First PC game I killed time on was Leisure Suit Larry. After that, long periods of hiatus. Duke Nukem and Doom/Doom 2 were great. Got into Battlefield/ BF2 recently. Had a lot of fun and I should probably get back into gaming for a bit.

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Myst? MYST!!!!?!?!?!?! ------ > OUT!!!

Most overrated game of all time was Myst. I preferred Return to Zork!

haha.

In the dos thread I decided to count all my favourites then freaked out how many games I actually played haha so I'll only comment on games others have played :eek:

Was never into M$ Flight Sim, all the flight sims I liked had guns! haha.

SimCity 2000 was where I started with that series. I played System Shock/2. Doom/II plus Aliens Doom! and who knows how many other mods! I played this via dialup too :D 1st intro into multiplayer. C&C and GP2 are the other games I recall dialing up to. By the time Quake came out would of been one of the last dialup games b4 playing over net. Also Quake was 1st game I played a 16player LAN match. We installed it on a DEC server @ college during a UNIX class haha.

Of course Duke Nukem was fun. Lots of doom clones at the time. Heretic/Hexen, ROTT etc.

Yeah I have all my boxes stored away as well :eek:

Need for Speed series was one of the 1st games that introduced me to 3d cards. My friend had got a Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo card from the states tho I didn't buy a 3d card till the Voodoo2's came out.

Ultima series. I know most didn't like Ultima 8 but I loved it! I reinstalled it again recently, the game hasn't aged well :eek:

4. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    One word "Fatality!" In college all I did besides drink beer was play Mortal Kombat.

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Wing Commander.

The first game where your performance changed the outcome of the story. I'd fly my fighter back to the mothership just to hear the compliments and praise of the others and watch as the story played out favorably. If i had a bad performance i'd almost be afraid and ashamed to land back into the mothership.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Spy Hunter, Bezerk, Sinistar, Battlezone, Joust...

7. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Jumpman and Epyx Winter Olympics on my C64.

Castle Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake, Hexen and Descent for PC.

Some of the driving games for PC, too - mostly Grand Prix.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

9. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    #9 BubblesQuah, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Geez, you guys are youg-uns... :)

I can remember hanging out for hours at a 7-11 up the street from where I lived, playing the original Asteroids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroids_%28video_game%29). IF I remember correctly, the other favorite of the time Space Invaders was right next to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Invaders

And then Defender was my next addiction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28video_game%29

I remember when my local Putt-Putt arcade received it's "Dragon's Lair" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Lair) There was always a line to play, and we played for hours. The "laserdisc" video "graphics" were unbelievable for the time - we had never seeen anything like it.

One of my favorite arcade games is Crystal Castles. I'd love to have one in my house.

10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    As a kid i wasted most of my allowance on those very games. I just picked up a space invaders cartridge for my atari 2600 this weekend. The first one i'd had since 1980 just died.

11. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Quake II, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for SNES, Gran Turismo 1. Hmm probably more, but can't remember right now. Played Super Mario Bro's a lot too, but I'm so fed up with them.

12. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Same here. The real shocker was when Dragons Lair came out, and it was 2 tokens (or 50 cents) to play! That would eat up my $3-$5 pretty fast!

13. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I have a very extensive list with a lot of games you guys have already mentioned. For me, games are a big break from reality and I try to put myself into the character's position. I can't deny that video games have been a big part of my life. :) Here's some I can remember right off:

Golden Axe, Splatterhouse and MK at the 7-11, Contra, any/all games with the powerpad, Combat (Atari), Dooms/Quakes/Hexen/Heretic (like most of you guys! :) ), Desert/Jungle/Nuclear Strike, Master Blaster, MS Flight Sim 2k4 and X, Battlefield 1942 and the others, and of course, Tetris.

There are several others but I can't think of them right now...my mind is too excited for finally buying Modern Warfare 2 for PC tonight.

14. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    My history is here. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264142

I started hanging out in arcades from the early 80's :eek: I remember when Space Invaders was on a black n white tv and they used cellophane colours on the screen to show the different monsters haha :D

Dragon Lair if you look at it now was pretty crappy and everything that should be avoided in making games, ie: quicktime events :p it did have awesome graphics for it's time which suckered alot of ppl in but at the end of the day there wasn't much gameplay just choosing the correct direction at the correct time.

15. Son of Jedi

Son of Jedi Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Death Star
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #15 Son of Jedi, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    Hah, I wasn't even BORN yet when those were popular. It is truly amazing how my friends and I can complain about bad graphics when only twenty years ago, young people went to places called "Arr-Cades" to use huge boxes called "Arr-Cade Games" which had only a few colorful buttons and a tiny display in what appeared to be 160x140 resolution, covered with cellophane to give the appearance of color. :D

Recently I've gotten back into the classic Nintendo 64 games with their availability on other platforms including the P.C. My favorites:

Super Mario 64
    Mario Kart
    Super Smash Bros.

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    As bad as the arcade graphics were the video game systems of the time (atari 2600, intellivision, NES etc.) would all brag how their games have arcade like graphics. Those awful graphics were the standard the consoles were reaching for.

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    sigh...

18. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Wolfenstein 3D was awesome. Had the map printed out with all the secret areas, probably still do in the basement somewhere.

19. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    You missed out.

20. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #20 SPEEDCORE, Jan 4, 2010
  21. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    #21 BubblesQuah, Jan 4, 2010
    Almost forgot about this... circa 1977. I remember only a few "lucky" kids had on of these in junior high - we used to fight to play it.

Nothing like the excitement of little red "-"'s moving across the screen, with accompanying blips and bleeps!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Son of Jedi

Son of Jedi Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Death Star
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Ah, after reading the posts after mine I noticed a mistake. When referring to the "Classic Nintendo 64 Games" I was referring to the original popular games as classic, not the classic nintendo. Just to clear that up :)

23. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Goodtimes..goodtimes

The battle of the minus signs

24. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I still have one of these in working condition!

RMX

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift